Which Tri seatpost for a road bike

Rudy

Sep 23, 2003
Hi all,
I have a Litespeed Catalyst and wanted to use it with an aerobar to do laps. I figure I need a seapost that would put me in a more FORWARD position when I get into a lower position to use the aerobar.

Any suggestion? and how much more forward do I need from this seat post? and can I use these posts to ride century in a road or tri position ?

with my current seatpost and the saddle a little in the forward position, I can tell that I'm sitting more on top of the seat's nos...which can be uncomfortable.

Originally posted by Rudy
Hi all,
I have a Litespeed Catalyst and wanted to use it with an aerobar to do laps. I figure I need a seapost that would put me in a more FORWARD position when I get into a lower position to use the aerobar.

Any suggestion? and how much more forward do I need from this seat post? and can I use these posts to ride century in a road or tri position ?

with my current seatpost and the saddle a little in the forward position, I can tell that I'm sitting more on top of the seat's nos...which can be uncomfortable.

--Cervelo sells a reversible seatpost; Thomson's layback post is commonly reversed by triathletes, as is the Corima post. You might try this website for more info:

http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/reviews/soloist.shtml

Check the reviews, articles and links.

Originally posted by Look381i
--Cervelo sells a reversible seatpost; Thomson's layback post is commonly reversed by triathletes, as is the Corima post. You might try this website for more info:

http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/reviews/soloist.shtml

Check the reviews, articles and links.

Thanks, LOOK381i....these seatpost, the corima and the cervelo...they're blade seatpost...my catalyst set tube is round.
I assume they have some sor of adapters?

what about the profile forward seatpost? any ideas?

One big question is I don't know how much of a forward adjustment I need.

Thanks, LOOK381i....these seatpost, the corima and the cervelo...they're blade seatpost...my catalyst set tube is round.
I assume they have some sor of adapters?

what about the profile forward seatpost? any ideas?

One big question is I don't know how much of a forward adjustment I need.

--I had thought that the Cervelo and Corima were bladed with the insert portion bring standard 27.2 round. Corima comes in different lengths to account for the need for more bladed portion. The Thomson is round all the way.

I don't know anything about the Profile, but I would expect it to perform as advertised.

Corima Ellipse comes with adapters for 25,0 and 27,2mm tubes. The adapters are also separately sold in sizes from 25,4 - 27,0mm in 0,2mm increments. The Ellipse has a setback of 30mm. There is also different seatpost satellites available for carbon railed seats, and seats with thicker rails than normal.

I have used an Ellipse on my triathlon bike this summer, and i have not had any issues with it.

Niko

Originally posted by NikoK
Corima Ellipse comes with adapters for 25,0 and 27,2mm tubes. The adapters are also separately sold in sizes from 25,4 - 27,0mm in 0,2mm increments. The Ellipse has a setback of 30mm. There is also different seatpost satellites available for carbon railed seats, and seats with thicker rails than normal.

I have used an Ellipse on my triathlon bike this summer, and i have not had any issues with it.

Niko

I'm just wondering if the Corima seatpost is forward enough though...that almost 1 1/4 inch.

The profile, though heavy, has almost 2.5 inches...don't know if I need all that

I'm just wondering if the Corima seatpost is forward enough though...that almost 1 1/4 inch.

The profile, though heavy, has almost 2.5 inches...don't know if I need all that

Before the Corima seatpost i had a "no-setback-Syncros-seatpost" on the bike. While using that, i was able to get a relative seat angle of about 75degrees (frame´s seat angle 73degrees, 57cm (c-c) frame, seatpost showing about 13cm), when i moved the saddle as far forward as i could.

With the Corima i get a relative seat angle of about 78degrees, which is enough to place the front of the saddle in line with the bottom bracket. I hope this helps, and that i managed to "speak" understandable English...

I tried to find the link, which i remember was on the slowtwitch-site, and explained the relationship between seatheight/seat forward-aft position and the relative seatangle (But that´s quite easy to find out yourself too, just draw an in-scale drawing on a paper...). Anyway here´s a few links to their site, which you might find helpful:
http://www.slowtwitch.com/mainheadings/techctr/bikefit.html
http://www.slowtwitch.com/mainheadings/techctr/techctr.html

Niko

P.S. Oh, and i guess the regulations on TT-bikes prevent you moving the seat as far forward as with tri-bikes. In TT´s the front of the seat must be at least 5cm behind the BB.

you can't use the cervelo. (I have one.) get the thomson setback.

I also have a thomson setback that I used with my classic before buying a cervelo tt bike. still use the thomson, and clip-on aerobars, if I'm traveling and can take only one bike.

NikoK...Thank you very much for a wealth of information

Originally posted by NikoK
Before the Corima seatpost i had a "no-setback-Syncros-seatpost" on the bike. While using that, i was able to get a relative seat angle of about 75degrees (frame´s seat angle 73degrees, 57cm (c-c) frame, seatpost showing about 13cm), when i moved the saddle as far forward as i could.

With the Corima i get a relative seat angle of about 78degrees, which is enough to place the front of the saddle in line with the bottom bracket. I hope this helps, and that i managed to "speak" understandable English...

I tried to find the link, which i remember was on the slowtwitch-site, and explained the relationship between seatheight/seat forward-aft position and the relative seatangle (But that´s quite easy to find out yourself too, just draw an in-scale drawing on a paper...). Anyway here´s a few links to their site, which you might find helpful:
http://www.slowtwitch.com/mainheadings/techctr/bikefit.html
http://www.slowtwitch.com/mainheadings/techctr/techctr.html

Niko

P.S. Oh, and i guess the regulations on TT-bikes prevent you moving the seat as far forward as with tri-bikes. In TT´s the front of the seat must be at least 5cm behind the BB.
:D :D