Which Tufo Tubulars for Criteriums?

tommyadrian5

Jan 30, 2006
Got a set of Reynolds Stratus DV's off of e-bay a few weeks ago which came mounted with new Tufo Tubulars (Front S22-lite (I think), Rear Jet Special). Both are 19mm which I believe is fine for a TT (which is what the previous owner used them for) or a relatively tame road race but scare the bejeezus out of me for some of the local crits we have around here.

As I'm new to the whole tubular tire world I was wondering what you all would recommend I put on here (would like to stay with tufo) knowing I will be riding 4 crits to every 1 road race. I figure something of at 21mm to 23mm would be more suitable for what i am using these for but don't know which tufo model is good for this.

These are race wheels only so relatively low miles.

any ideas?

tommyadrian5 said:
Got a set of Reynolds Stratus DV's off of e-bay a few weeks ago which came mounted with new Tufo Tubulars (Front S22-lite (I think), Rear Jet Special). Both are 19mm which I believe is fine for a TT (which is what the previous owner used them for) or a relatively tame road race but scare the bejeezus out of me for some of the local crits we have around here.

As I'm new to the whole tubular tire world I was wondering what you all would recommend I put on here (would like to stay with tufo) knowing I will be riding 4 crits to every 1 road race. I figure something of at 21mm to 23mm would be more suitable for what i am using these for but don't know which tufo model is good for this.

These are race wheels only so relatively low miles.

any ideas?

I have found that the tufo's aren't as supple as other high end tubys. They skip and chatter much more than they conti's that i've run.

I would try the jet's, def. not the carbon comps. If you can afford it, go with a conti, either a sprinter or a comp 22. You can get them cheap @ biketiresdirect.com . I've bought 4 from them with no problems.

PSUcycling said:
I have found that the tufo's aren't as supple as other high end tubys. They skip and chatter much more than they conti's that i've run.

I would try the jet's, def. not the carbon comps. If you can afford it, go with a conti, either a sprinter or a comp 22. You can get them cheap @ biketiresdirect.com . I've bought 4 from them with no problems.
Thanks!

I rode in the weekly crits with a jet specials on my front wheel, not to bad, but the tufo Carbon's are the recommended crit tire i beleive, they're also one of the most supple in the tufo line if you ask me, they're my racing tire.