which turbo trainer for training with power?

kant314

Jul 30, 2007
Hi,

I'm thinking of buying a turbo trainer to use in the winter months since my chest hates cold air and I tend to get sick a lot.

I was thinking it would be useful to have a TT with a power meter. Which ones would people recommend ?

thanks
Kant

Let me be the first to respond.

Some people will tell you to forget the trainer and get rollers, and some people will tell you to get a trainer.

I have a Kurt Kinetic Road Machine (fluid trainer) - based on the limited amount of research I did, this came out on top. It has a little speed to power conversion meter you can buy as well to get Watts as your output.

There are many others available, some more expensive and some less so. Depends on what you want to spend.

Note that cycling indoors is quite dull, and I find it hard to overcome the mental agony it seems to cause me. It's also very hot, so you'll probably need a rubber mat to go under your bike, and some big fans.

kant314 said:
I was thinking it would be useful to have a TT with a power meter. Which ones would people recommend ?
The first thing you're going to realize about training with power is that you'll want it for the outdoor riding too. So my recomendation would be to spend the money on a Powertap, SRM, Ergomo or whatever power meter you like and just buy a regular trainer for setting up your bike indoors.

I use a Powertap and find that with that and my trainer, I get some very good focused workouts in during the winter. To be honest, sometimes I'll even use the indoor trainer for a really focused workout when I could be outside. Nothing like the indoor trainer for sticking to a particular wattage for long interval work.

Pad