Which type of bike would be best?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by [email protected], Jan 14, 2006.

  1. I've decided to sell my car and get a bike instead (no need for a car
    where I live anyway). Just wondering if anybody has any advice on what
    kind of bike to get - it seems like there's so many different kinds.
    Really what I'm looking for is something to use on inner city roads
    that I can still go a few miles on too. Hopefully around £100. Anyone
    got any ideas? Like I said I know nothing about it.

    Thanks

    Tags:

  2. Ken M

    Ken M Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > I've decided to sell my car and get a bike instead (no need for a car
    > where I live anyway). Just wondering if anybody has any advice on what
    > kind of bike to get - it seems like there's so many different kinds.
    > Really what I'm looking for is something to use on inner city roads
    > that I can still go a few miles on too. Hopefully around £100. Anyone
    > got any ideas? Like I said I know nothing about it.
    >
    > Thanks

    Well sadly, 100 won't get you much, you better shop around for a used
    bike. I might suggest a comfort style or hybrid type bike.

    Ken
    --
    You never have the wind with you - either it is against you or you're
    having a good day. ~Daniel Behrman, The Man Who Loved Bicycles

    Homepage: http://kcm-home.tripod.com/

  3. Paul Hobson

    Paul Hobson Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > I've decided to sell my car and get a bike instead (no need for a car
    > where I live anyway). Just wondering if anybody has any advice on what
    > kind of bike to get - it seems like there's so many different kinds.
    > Really what I'm looking for is something to use on inner city roads
    > that I can still go a few miles on too. Hopefully around £100. Anyone
    > got any ideas? Like I said I know nothing about it.
    >
    > Thanks

    With all the money you'll be saving by simply not having a car (even
    neglecting what you'll receive from selling the car), you really should
    do yourself a favor and spend more cash. That way, you can get
    something more reliable, easier to ride/maintain, and it longer lasting.
    \\paul
    --
    Paul M. Hobson
    Georgia Institute of Technology

  4. Ken M

    Ken M Guest

    Paul Hobson wrote:
    > [email protected] wrote:
    >
    >> I've decided to sell my car and get a bike instead (no need for a car
    >> where I live anyway). Just wondering if anybody has any advice on what
    >> kind of bike to get - it seems like there's so many different kinds.
    >> Really what I'm looking for is something to use on inner city roads
    >> that I can still go a few miles on too. Hopefully around £100. Anyone
    >> got any ideas? Like I said I know nothing about it.
    >> Thanks
    >>

    > With all the money you'll be saving by simply not having a car (even
    > neglecting what you'll receive from selling the car), you really should
    > do yourself a favor and spend more cash. That way, you can get
    > something more reliable, easier to ride/maintain, and it longer lasting.
    > \\paul

    For sure. The op might not have a lot of cash for the initial purchase,
    but by going car free they will save a bundle, and be able to buy
    something better in a relatively short time.

    Ken
    --
    You never have the wind with you - either it is against you or you're
    having a good day. ~Daniel Behrman, The Man Who Loved Bicycles

    Homepage: http://kcm-home.tripod.com/

  5. The OP is in the UK, so a used Raleigh roadster like a DL-1 would be
    the ticket.
    On the short list of best transport bikes ever built, they older the
    better in this case.
    Something from the 1950s would be great.
    Pahley make new ones if your really want to spend some money.

    Scott G.