Which tyres are best?

I've tried Michelin Eriliums and Schwalbe Blizzard Sport for this kind of riding. Both seem pretty
good. My (subjective) view is that the tread on the Eriliums appears a bit grippier.

Sam

Shameless plug - both available mail order from the shop where I work
- Spa Cycles 01423 887003 - for £11 a pop (perhaps not such a good figure of speech).

On Tue, 24 Jun 2003 16:50:34 +0100, "Dave Larrington" <[email protected]> wrote:

>the current Informed Dark Side Racer's Tyre of Choice

Do you know where I can get the New Improved Stelvio in 406 before the end of the year, though?

Guy
===

Jim Price <[email protected]> wrote:

: Which would suggest that there is a pressure beyond which there is no useful gain, and what has
: happened is that we now have the technology to make tyres which can handle that pressure in larger
: sizes than previously possible.

On anything other than a track, the bumps in the road start to slow you down as you+bike get bounced
around rather than the tyres deforming smoothly to the road like they are ment to.

Trackies use 160PSI+ cos tracks are smooth so higher is better. I don't see any point in more than
120PSI on road (and that'd be with 23mm tires). I like 115PSI myself. Some TT'ers also use very high
pressures, but again if all you are doing is riding down a dual-carrageway with a good surface, you
can get away with a higher pressure.

Arthur

Lord Lester

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
> Do you know where I can get the New Improved Stelvio in 406 before the end of the year, though?

I didn't even know there *was* a New! IMPROVED!! Stelvio... Unless it's the Armaduro (tm) belted
version to which you refer?

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

> I didn't even know there *was* a New! IMPROVED!! Stelvio... Unless it's the Armaduro (tm) belted
> version to which you refer?

I think so. Captain Schwalbe at York was waxing lyrical about them but suggested that Certain German
Recumbent Manufacturers may be getitng preferential supplies.

--
Guy
===

I've just bought a new bike - a Sirrus with 28mm road tyres - I'm 14 and a half stone. Thr
recommended pressure is 8.0-8.5 bar or about 115psi. Should I be adding more to allow for my weight?

Graham wrote:

>> Pump them up more!! :) Seriously, they can take 9 bar - and a little more if you like (although
>> go easy on the front - for grip).
>
> You know what I mean !

No, sorry, I don't really know what you mean.

> The compound felt soft, I did use them with latex inner tubes so that contributed to the "shag
> pile" type feeling. If you know what I mean !!

What's the downside to a tyre _feeling_ soft?

~PB

Alan wrote:
> I've just bought a new bike - a Sirrus with 28mm road tyres - I'm 14 and a half stone. Thr
> recommended pressure is 8.0-8.5 bar or about 115psi. Should I be adding more to allow for
> my weight?

I suggest trying 9.2 bar rear, 8.2 front, to get the fastest performance from them (on good dry
roads only). Let them down a bit if you find the ride is too harsh.

~PB

Alan <[email protected]> wrote:
: I've just bought a new bike - a Sirrus with 28mm road tyres - I'm 14 and a half stone. Thr
: recommended pressure is 8.0-8.5 bar or about 115psi. Should I be adding more to allow for
: my weight?

Pete has given some very specific numbers. Personally I'd have said that 115psi on 28mm is about as
high as you want to go.

You only need to add more to allow for your weight if you are getting pinch flats. Anyway, 14st is
still pretty much within the standard range.

Arthur

Lord Lester

Veloflex pave or black are way faster and lighter than the Vredesten's. The veloflex record are
supposed to be better yet but I'd probably puncture too much with them. The vredestens are a good
traing tyre though.

Peter

"Niv" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Round ones. Sorry, could'nt resist. I like Vredstein tricomps, about £16 from Parkers or similar.
> Haven't tried any real upmarket stuff though. 23 seems to be the best compromise for
> comfort/rolling resistance (See C+ old issue). The new Conti's look interesting, 22 front 23 rear
> with different layers
of

Arthur Clune wrote:
> Alan <[email protected]> wrote:
>> I've just bought a new bike - a Sirrus with 28mm road tyres - I'm 14 and a half stone. Thr
>> recommended pressure is 8.0-8.5 bar or about 115psi. Should I be adding more to allow for my
>> weight?
>
> Pete has given some very specific numbers. Personally I'd have said that 115psi on 28mm is about
> as high as you want to go.

On second thoughts, perhaps my numbers were on the high side: 28's don't usually take that much. But
given the quoted manufactuers recommendations and inconsistencies between makes, I was assuming
these tyres are actually more like 25mm (and good quality with thin casing).

> You only need to add more to allow for your weight if you are getting pinch flats.

I disagree because one set pressure can't be perfectly suitable for everyone, therefore it would
make sense to increase slightly if slightly above average weight.

~PB

In message <[email protected]>, Smudger
<[email protected]> writes
>Budget is £14 to £25 per wheel.
>
>700x23c
>
>Mainly road - fast leisure riding and training.

There's a very comprehensive article in the July edition of Tour magazine about the comparative
benefits of 25mm tyres. The article says that apart from being more comfortable and less puncture
prone the rolling resistance of the wider tyres is less than narrower - as mentioned elsewhere in
this thread.

There's also a set of test data for a wide range of 25mm tyres. I concluded that the Continental
Grand Prix 4 Season was the best. Top marks for puncture resistance and about 70g lighter than the
Michelin Pro Race and Axial Carbon (next best). Continental Grand Prix 3000 and Panaracer Stradius
Pro also did well with Schwalbe Stelvio Rain and Vredestein Fortezza following closely. (Grand Prix,
Schwalbe and Vredestein are less puncture resistant.)
--
Michael MacClancy