Which way do pedals come off please?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Msa, May 19, 2003.

  1. Msa

    Msa Guest

    Only Joking.....LOL :)

    --
    Mark

  2. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Mon, 19 May 2003 18:55:16 +0000 (UTC), "MSA" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Only Joking.....LOL :)

    Outwards, obviously ;-)

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  3. Msa

    Msa Guest

    Just zis Guy, you know? <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Mon, 19 May 2003 18:55:16 +0000 (UTC), "MSA" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Only Joking.....LOL :)
    >
    > Outwards, obviously ;-)
    >
    > Guy

    What, even on a bent? Surely not!

    --
    Mark

  4. It's not widely known but many pedals suffer from ejaculatory incompetence.

    Try our new Herbal Supplement which will lengthen the length of your pedals to a manly pedal size so
    that they can show themselves in the bike shower room, they will be as rigid as hell and will
    totally satisfy lady pedals.

    "SPUDSGROW"

  5. Bill

    Bill Guest

  6. Archierob

    Archierob Guest

    ------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C31EB3.CE92EAE0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="Windows-1252"

    As per my previous 'tip'.

    They go on forwards, they come off backwards.

    But with the following suggestions:

    (a) The spanner is at least 10 feet long and is above the pedals.
    (b) You whistle 'Dixie' whilst performing this movement.
    (c) You are suffering from delusions and paranoia and are convinced you = are Lance Armstrong.
    (d) You have a degree in mechanical engineering from Oxford and a pork = pie from Tescos.
    (e) You have read, understood, digested, cogitated, agonised and finally = comprehended that Sheldon
    Brown knows more about bikes than Newton.

    Then and only then will those bloody pedals come off!

    ------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C31EB3.CE92EAE0 Content-Type: text/html; charset="Windows-1252"

    <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD> <META
    http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; = charset=3Dwindows-1252"> <META content=3D"MSHTML
    6.00.2600.0" name=3DGENERATOR> <STYLE></STYLE> </HEAD> <BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
    <DIV><FONT size=3D2>As per my previous 'tip'.</FONT></DIV>
    <DV><FONT size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
    <DVI><FONT size=3D2>They go on forwards, they come off = backwards.</FONT></DIV>
    <DVII><FONT size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
    <DVIII><FONT size=3D2>But with the following suggestions:</FONT></DIV>
    <DIX><FONT size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
    <DX><FONT size=3D2>(a) The spanner is at least 10 feet long and is = above the=20
    pedals.</FONT></DIV>
    <DXI><FONT size=3D2>(b) You whistle 'Dixie' whilst performing this=20 movement.</FONT></DIV>
    <DXII><FONT size=3D2>(c) You are suffering from delusions and = paranoia and are=20 convinced
    you are Lance Armstrong.</FONT></DIV>
    <DXIII><FONT size=3D2>(d) You have a degree in mechanical engineering from = Oxford=20 and a pork
    pie from Tescos.</FONT></DIV>
    <DXIV><FONT size=3D2>(e) You have read, understood, digested, cogitated,=20 agonised and
    finally comprehended that Sheldon Brown knows = more about=20 bikes than
    Newton.</FONT><FONT size=3D2></FONT></DIV>
    <DXV><FONT size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
    <DXVI><FONT size=3D2>Then and only then will those bloody pedals come=20 off!</FONT></DIV>
    <DXVII><FONT size=3D2></FONT> </DIV></BODY></HTML>

    ------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C31EB3.CE92EAE0--

  7. In message <[email protected]>, Geraint Jones
    <[email protected]> writes
    >"archierob" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> (d) You have a degree in mechanical engineering from Oxford and a pork pie from Tescos.
    >
    >Just for the record, it isn't possible to have a degree in mechanical engineering from Oxford;

    Perhaps Archierob wished to imply that it isn't possible to remove pedals either. ;-)
    --
    Michael MacClancy

  8. "archierob" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > (d) You have a degree in mechanical engineering from Oxford and a pork pie from Tescos.

    Just for the record, it isn't possible to have a degree in mechanical engineering from Oxford; I
    don't know whether it is possible to have a pork pie from Tesco's, and I certainly don't want to be
    drawn on whether if that is possible it is also possible to both have it and eat it.

    > (e) You have read, understood, digested, cogitated, agonised and finally = comprehended that
    > Sheldon Brown knows more about bikes than Newton.

    I ought to want to be drawn on how little Isaac Newton could have known about bicycles, but I
    shall not.

  9. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    "Bill" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > Any fool can take them off, but what I can't work out is which way they go back on.

    The important thing is to fit them so they stick outwards from the cranks, not inwards.

    --
    Dave...

  10. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Tue, 20 May 2003 09:40:11 +0100, "archierob" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Sheldon Brown knows more about bikes than Newton.

    I wasn't aware that he was touted as an expert on Newton.

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  11. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    In news:[email protected], Just zis Guy, you know?
    <[email protected]> typed:
    > On Tue, 20 May 2003 09:40:11 +0100, "archierob" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> Sheldon Brown knows more about bikes than Newton.
    >
    > I wasn't aware that he was touted as an expert on Newton.

    Since his shop is in Newton I expect he is an expert on both :)

    Tony

    --
    http://www.raven-family.com

  12. Martin

    Martin Guest

    " A simple way of remembering as I forget every time:

    The left one turn the spanner cLockwise The right one counteRclockwise. easier said than done as you
    have to position the crank to get the correct leverage especially when you end up having to stand on
    the spanner! and as for when there is no chain on the chainset!??!

  13. Ianb

    Ianb Guest

    "Bill" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > MSA <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Only Joking.....LOL :)
    >
    > Any fool can take them off, but what I can't work out is which way they go back on.
    >
    > Bill

    Easy Peasy, The end with the screw thread thingy (looks a bit like a cork-screw crossed with a
    spring) goes into the hole in the crank

    The problem is deciding which one to fit first if you have taken both pedals off (or got a new pair)

    --
    IanB

    swap my names around to reply to me

  14. "IanB" <[email protected]> wrote: ( The problem is deciding which one to fit first if you
    have taken both pedals ) off (or got a new pair)

    Easy: never take them both off together. (Good grief!) Any shop that sells you both at once is
    clearly staffed by gadget freaks that are trying to confuse you, and ought to be avoided. I'm sure
    that a Real Bike Shop -- detectable by the shelves of boxes of odd parts -- would be more than happy
    to sell you the pedals separately.

  15. Geraint Jones wrote:
    > I'm sure that a Real Bike Shop -- detectable by the shelves of boxes of odd parts -- would be more
    > than happy to sell you the pedals separately.

    There is probably room here for a Scholarly Monograph on the comparative availability of odd pedals,
    and it's my guess that left ones would predominate. This is based on the fact that 99% of the
    abandoned shoes one sees on the roads are left ones too.

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  16. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    > There is probably room here for a Scholarly Monograph on the comparative availability of odd
    > pedals, and it's my guess that left ones would predominate. This is based on the fact that 99% of
    > the abandoned shoes one sees on the roads are left ones too.

    I think you'll find that by definition the other 1% are also left.

    --
    Dave...

  17. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Fri, 23 May 2003 10:13:32 +0100, "Dave Larrington" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >This is based on the fact that 99% of the abandoned shoes one sees on the roads are left ones too.

    This is the result of deliberate and selfless action by the Society of British Bedstead Men.

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.