Which way do road tyre chevrons face? Does it matter?

pcapetown

Apr 20, 2013
Hello to all

I am riding on Vittorio Rubino Pro tyres 150 tpi for winter training and racing. They have a slight chevron pattern on the tread.

Which way should the chevrons be pointing - when to look from on top of the wheel? Forwards or backwards? I have read a bit and answers seem inconclusive and focused on MTBs. Maybe it doesn't matter. Or should they be different on the front and rear?

My priority is speed over grip.

I look forward to your answers.

Peter

Are the tires labeled on both sides, or one side?

If one side, the label should face the cassette side.

If both sides, there may be an arrow showing direction of travel, but if it's like the one on some Continentals you'll need a magnifying glass, a seeing eyedog, and expertise in brail to detect.

Originally Posted by pcapetown .

... Maybe it doesn't matter. ...
That's my take on it, it really doesn't matter. Some tires have the direction arrow, others do not but I think you'd be hard pressed to measure or feel any performance difference running them one way or the other front or back.

-Dave

Thanks, guys, for the quick replies. The tyres have writing on both sides. The writing faces opposite directions so shows the same way whichever way round the tyre is fitted. For the record, so far, I have fitted with chevrons facing forwards (as viewed from the top) and the same way around for front and rear tyre.

daveryanwyoming said:
That's my take on it, it really doesn't matter.  Some tires have the direction arrow, others do not but I think you'd be hard pressed to measure or feel any performance difference running them one way or the other front or back. -Dave
Yup. It doesn't matter.

I mount them the same way as my tractor tires...better bite in the dirt.

"I have fitted with chevrons facing forwards (as viewed from the top) and the same way around for front and rear tyre."

You're doing it correctly.