which way to install brake springs

Yarper

Guest
Hi folks,

I have an old bike with traditional cantilever
brakes, the cable-above kind, not the
metal-over-the-top kind, and I have these
springs that go with the 4 brake units
that are supposed to keep the brakes
away from the wheels when I'm not pulling
on the brake levers that are on the handlebars.

My question is, is there a photo anywhere
online that shows how to orient these
springs? I've tried every which way and
none seems to keep the brakes off the metal.

Thanks.

On 13 Nov 2006 19:28:37 -0800, "Yarper" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Hi folks,
>
>I have an old bike with traditional cantilever
>brakes, the cable-above kind, not the
>metal-over-the-top kind, and I have these
>springs that go with the 4 brake units
>that are supposed to keep the brakes
>away from the wheels when I'm not pulling
>on the brake levers that are on the handlebars.
>
>My question is, is there a photo anywhere
>online that shows how to orient these
>springs? I've tried every which way and
>none seems to keep the brakes off the metal.

If they're the typical wound-in-a-big-circle springs that fit inside
the bottom end of the canti arms, it's easy. First, note that each
spring has a bent bit sticking out at each end of the spring wire.
Now pick up one of the brake arms and examine the inside of the bottom
end; see the small hole in the spring recess? One of the bent ends
goes in there. Most canti arms have a plastic dust cover over the
spring; if you're able to get the dust cover on, then the spring is
probably in correctly. Now look at the area at the base of the pivot
mount in the frame or fork. See the little tab on the inward side
that has two or three holes in it? The other bent end goes in there.
Use the same relative hole position on both sides; start with the
lower ones, and work up if the spring tension isn't enough to make the
arms return properly. If there's just one hole in the tab, the bent
end goes in there.

If there's no small hole inside the lower end of the arm, you may be
missing some pieces.

Here's a photo of a typical canti arm (with the pad turned sideways so
that the arm would pose for the photo more gracefully) with arrows
pointing to the spring tabs and to the holes in the dust cover and the
inside of the canti arm's spring recess:

http://www.instantattitudes.com/images/cantispring.gif

With those three pieces assembled, all you see of the spring is one
tab protruding through the dust cover's hole.

This arm is typical, but not the only design. Others are usually
similar, though.

--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

"Yarper" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I have an old bike with traditional cantilever
> brakes, the cable-above kind, not the
> metal-over-the-top kind, and I have these
> springs that go with the 4 brake units
> that are supposed to keep the brakes
> away from the wheels when I'm not pulling
> on the brake levers that are on the handlebars.
>
> My question is, is there a photo anywhere
> online that shows how to orient these
> springs? I've tried every which way and
> none seems to keep the brakes off the metal.
>
> Thanks.

Try this page:
<http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=19>

Hope that is what you are after.

regards,
Darryl

"Yarper" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi folks,
>
> I have an old bike with traditional cantilever
> brakes, the cable-above kind, not the
> metal-over-the-top kind, and I have these
> springs that go with the 4 brake units
> that are supposed to keep the brakes
> away from the wheels when I'm not pulling
> on the brake levers that are on the handlebars.
>
> My question is, is there a photo anywhere
> online that shows how to orient these
> springs? I've tried every which way and
> none seems to keep the brakes off the metal.
>
> Thanks.

Back in the old days we didn't need spring loaded brakes

Wunderbar, thanks.

Yarper wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I have an old bike with traditional cantilever
> brakes, the cable-above kind, not the
> metal-over-the-top kind, and I have these
> springs that go with the 4 brake units
> that are supposed to keep the brakes
> away from the wheels when I'm not pulling
> on the brake levers that are on the handlebars.
>
> My question is, is there a photo anywhere
> online that shows how to orient these
> springs? I've tried every which way and
> none seems to keep the brakes off the metal.
>
> Thanks.

2007 Campag PDF, parts blowup, page 61..pic of the spring for the rear
brake, probably that way.