Which way to turn the adjusting barrel?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Barbara Larrain, Jan 22, 2003.

  1. When I switch my rear wheel from my race wheel to my training wheel occassionally I will get some
    what I call "automatic shifting" or partial shifting usually in the middle gears of the cog set.
    When its happened & I at races the tech support just clears it up by turning the adjusting barrel.
    Well now home after my last race where I had to pack the bike & reassembled it with my training
    wheel I am getting some problem with the shifting ocassionally. It wasn't consistently happening
    with either an upshift or downshift. I did turn the adjusting barrel about 1/2 a turn one way & it
    didn't seem to make a difference. So later turned it more the other way I think & haven't seemed to
    have a probelm since. Does it matter which way one turns the barrel?

    Thanks,

    Barbara L

    Tags:

  2. Barbara: Yes, it definitely matters which direction the barrel is turned. If your derailleur is
    having difficulty climbing into the next-larger cog, you need to turn it in the direction that it
    "unscrews" (looking at it from the back, that would be counter-clockwise), which tightens the cable,
    moving the derailleur a bit more inboard. If you're having trouble coming down into the next-smaller
    cog, then you turn it the other way, loosening the cable.

    Basically, you're trying to center the derailleur over the cog, and loosening or tightening the
    cable will move it one way or the other. It might help to shift into one of the middle cogs in the
    back and then turn the adjuster barrel maybe two full rotations one way, then back to where you
    started, and then two full rotations the other way (and then back). Observing how the derailleur
    moves when you do this might help it to make sense... and if you understand what's happening, the
    adjustment becomes more intuitive and less scary.

    "Barbara Larrain" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > When I switch my rear wheel from my race wheel to my training wheel occassionally I will get some
    > what I call "automatic shifting" or partial shifting usually in the middle gears of the cog set.
    > When its happened & I at races the tech support just clears it up by turning the adjusting
    barrel.
    > Well now home after my last race where I had to pack the bike &
    reassembled
    > it with my training wheel I am getting some problem with the shifting ocassionally. It wasn't
    > consistently happening with either an upshift or downshift. I did turn the adjusting barrel about
    > 1/2 a turn one way & it didn't seem to make a difference. So later turned it more the other way I
    > think & haven't seemed to have a probelm since. Does it matter which way
    one
    > turns the barrel?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Barbara L

  3. David Ornee

    David Ornee Guest

    "Barbara Larrain" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > When I switch my rear wheel from my race wheel to my training wheel occassionally I will get some
    > what I call "automatic shifting" or partial shifting usually in the middle gears of the cog set.
    > When its happened & I at races the tech support just clears it up by turning the adjusting
    barrel.
    > Well now home after my last race where I had to pack the bike &
    reassembled
    > it with my training wheel I am getting some problem with the shifting ocassionally. It wasn't
    > consistently happening with either an upshift or downshift. I did turn the adjusting barrel about
    > 1/2 a turn one way & it didn't seem to make a difference. So later turned it more the other way I
    > think & haven't seemed to have a probelm since. Does it matter which way
    one
    > turns the barrel?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Barbara L

    Mike's explanation is great. If you would like to see pictures and read more on the subject check
    Sheldon Brown's article on the subject at URL: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html

    David Ornee, Western Springs, IL

  4. David Ornee

    David Ornee Guest

    "Barbara Larrain" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > When I switch my rear wheel from my race wheel to my training wheel occassionally I will get some
    > what I call "automatic shifting" or partial shifting usually in the middle gears of the cog set.
    > When its happened & I at races the tech support just clears it up by turning the adjusting
    barrel.
    > Well now home after my last race where I had to pack the bike &
    reassembled
    > it with my training wheel I am getting some problem with the shifting ocassionally. It wasn't
    > consistently happening with either an upshift or downshift. I did turn the adjusting barrel about
    > 1/2 a turn one way & it didn't seem to make a difference. So later turned it more the other way I
    > think & haven't seemed to have a probelm since. Does it matter which way
    one
    > turns the barrel?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Barbara L

    Mike's explanation is great. If you would like to see pictures and read more on the subject check
    Sheldon Brown's article on the subject at URL: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html

    David Ornee, Western Springs, IL

  5. larrain->When I switch my rear wheel from my race wheel to my training wheel
    >occassionally I will get some what I call "automatic shifting"

    >Does it matter which way one turns the barrel?

    It does as you try to center the pulleys on the selected cog-BUT where you start is important as
    well. As all index shifting is referenced to the first cog..then the rder moves a specific distsnce
    per click. If the first postion isn't right, then the distance won't center the pulley on
    subsequent cogs.

  6. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "Barbara Larrain" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > When I switch my rear wheel from my race wheel to my training wheel occassionally I will get some
    > what I call "automatic shifting" or partial shifting usually in the middle gears of the cog set.
    > When its happened & I at races the tech support just clears it up by turning the adjusting
    barrel.
    > Well now home after my last race where I had to pack the bike &
    reassembled
    > it with my training wheel I am getting some problem with the shifting ocassionally. It wasn't
    > consistently happening with either an upshift or downshift. I did turn the adjusting barrel about
    > 1/2 a turn one way & it didn't seem to make a difference. So later turned it more the other way I
    > think & haven't seemed to have a probelm since. Does it matter which way
    one
    > turns the barrel?

    Unscrewing the adjuster makes the casing effectively longer so there's less wire sticking out, the
    net effect is to tighten the cable. You might look at your front brake while turning the adjuster a
    few turns to see this effect clearly ( brake adjusters are slightly coarser than gear adjusters and
    the front brake adjustment change is easily observed ).

    When you change wheels, shift from the high gear one click lower. The changer should line up under
    the second highest cog. Turning the adjuster anti-clockwise will bring the changer closer to the
    spokes if needed.

    It's not a bad habit to adjust a worn or mixed-component system in one of the middle cogs as you get
    less variance on the ends that way. To center the derailleur roller under a cog it helps to get your
    head directly behind the changer instead of trying to estimate it from above.

  7. Barbara,

    There's a very easy method for the adjustments.

    Stand the bike up and look at it from the rear wheel. Start shifting and notice where the shifts are
    substandard. If it doesn't shift towards the larger gears then turn the barrel adjuster towards the
    larger gears (just a little bit). And vice versa for substandard shifts to the smaller gears.

    I like to release the cable from the derailleur and put the barrel all the way in. Pull the cable
    semi-tight and fasten to the derailleur. When you start shifting it should have problems getting
    into larger cogs. Start turning the barrel adjuster towards the larger cogs until it's how you like
    it. Test ride it (because things seem to change) and make changes on the street.

    I'll let the previous replies explain why this works.

    --
    George S. Hugh 273 Hudson Hall Annex Duke University
    (919)660-5167 [email protected]

    "Barbara Larrain" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > When I switch my rear wheel from my race wheel to my training wheel occassionally I will get some
    > what I call "automatic shifting" or partial shifting usually in the middle gears of the cog set.
    > When its happened & I at races the tech support just clears it up by turning the adjusting
    barrel.
    > Well now home after my last race where I had to pack the bike &
    reassembled
    > it with my training wheel I am getting some problem with the shifting ocassionally. It wasn't
    > consistently happening with either an upshift or downshift. I did turn the adjusting barrel about
    > 1/2 a turn one way & it didn't seem to make a difference. So later turned it more the other way I
    > think & haven't seemed to have a probelm since. Does it matter which way
    one
    > turns the barrel?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Barbara L

  8. Jim Flom

    Jim Flom Guest

    >From: "Barbara Larrain"
    >
    >Does it matter which way one turns the barrel?

    Yes it does. And think in terms of half-turns. The hard part is your comment that "It wasn't
    consistently happening with either an upshift or downshift." You want to turn the adjuster barrel in
    the direction of the problem. If you have trouble shifting into higher gears, turn it toward the
    higher gears. If you have trouble shifting into lower gears, turn it toward the lower gears. In
    other words, if it hesitates to shift into a smaller cog, turn the adjuster barrel a half-turn
    clock-wise (as you face the bike from the rear). If it hesitates to shift into a larger cog (lower
    gear), turn the adjuster barrel a half-turn counterclockwise.

    JF