Which wheel set Dura Ace or Kysrium SL

OCRoadie

Oct 5, 2004
Given the choice which wheel set would you put on your bike, Dura Ace WH7800 or Mavic Kysrium SL's? I just bought a set of the Kysrium SL's that I love, but the bike that I'm looking to get comes stock with th Dura Ace. Any feedback? Do I just keep the Dura Ace and have two nice wheels sets or take a discount and leave them off? Any comments on the Dura Ace would be cool, I already know that the SL's are the bomb.

Get the DA's and post back to give us the skinny on differences/preferences.

This is turning out much closer than I expected. I really thought most of you would choose the Mavic's, I am thinking that when it comes time to purchase the Ruobaix Pro I will get it with the Dura Ace that come stock. If any of you have ridden both, I'd love to hear your comparison.

Why get the DA's. Why trust them. You know and trust the quality of Mavic wheels and Hubs. And they look way better than the DA's. The pros ride Mavic Ksyrium SL's, so should you.

I raced and rode the Dura Ace 7800 wheels this year and was unimpressed with them. The build quality was low. The brake surface that was supposed to be machined had a rough spot at the seam. Had to use emery cloth to smooth it or it would have ate my break pad. Hubs were not smooth, and since its a sealed bearing hub, this means the whole hub has to be taken apart to make any adjustments. The stiffness and repsonsivness was actually quite good. One minor truing adjustment after a few rides and they stayed strait. Maybe shimano has incresaed quality control since this spring, but I won't be getting any more shimano wheels unless I inspect the actual wheels I'm getting.

Rompinrhino said:
Why get the DA's. Why trust them. You know and trust the quality of Mavic wheels and Hubs. And they look way better than the DA's. The pros ride Mavic Ksyrium SL's, so should you.
The reason I would get the DA's is they come stock on the Roubaix Pro, which I'm looking to purchase as my next bike. Your right about the Mavic SL's, I started riding them about a month ago and have no complaints. I was just trying to determine whether or not to take the new bike with the wheels or try and get the bike shop to give me credit if I leave them off. Chances are, the bike shop would only give me a credit for about half of what they're worth, so I thinking the DA's might be a good training wheel set and save my Mavic's for races and rides with more climbing.

Rompinrhino said:

In oder to shave weight, Mavic started using cheaper bushings in their hubs instead of the better bearings that they used to use. As a result of this, the new SSC wheels will have to have this bushing replaced about every year or so depending on use and that will get expensive.

So if you are a pro racer that cares about the 10 gram difference and doesn't have to pay for new bushings, or you are just planning on racing with them, sure go with the SSC's. On the other hand if you want a wheel that will last, I would stray away from them.

btw The Elite, Equipe and Cosmos still have the bearings, just not the SSC's

OCRoadie said:
Given the choice which wheel set would you put on your bike, Dura Ace WH7800 or Mavic Kysrium SL's? I just bought a set of the Kysrium SL's that I love, but the bike that I'm looking to get comes stock with th Dura Ace. Any feedback? Do I just keep the Dura Ace and have two nice wheels sets or take a discount and leave them off? Any comments on the Dura Ace would be cool, I already know that the SL's are the bomb.

I cannot speak to the DA or SL's but I did purchase a bike that came with the Shimnano R540's and repalced them with Ksyrium Elites. I got tired of breaking spokes on the Shimano's and was disturbed by the fact that when I was out of the saddle, the Shimanos would rub against the brake pads. The lateral stiffness and durability of the Ksyrium Elite's is far superior. Plus they feel lighter and more stable. IMHO, go with the Ksyriums.
:cool:

Irishman said:
I raced and rode the Dura Ace 7800 wheels this year and was unimpressed with them. The build quality was low. The brake surface that was supposed to be machined had a rough spot at the seam. Had to use emery cloth to smooth it or it would have ate my break pad. Hubs were not smooth, and since its a sealed bearing hub, this means the whole hub has to be taken apart to make any adjustments.
Just to give a counter-view. I also raced on DA 7800 wheels this season, and my experience was very positive - my hubs, rim joints etc were very smooth, and I considered these high quality wheels. They replaced my American Classics which were lighter but less reliable. The DAs also had better aerodynamics. The Ksyriums have a reputation for being bomb-proof, but I think both wheelsets are very similar. If you looked at pictures from the Worlds, a lot of pros were riding the carbon-rimmed version of the 7800s, which use the same hubs & spokes. While pros will ride what they're paid to use (and Mavic pays a lot!) they won't compromise their chances with significantly inferior products, which to me reinforces that the DA wheels are essentially equivalent to the Ksyriums.

It works out about the same cost to get Roubaix Pro with Ultegra and FSA cranks, and Ksyrium SSL wheels and the all DA model. I rode both one after the other. I bought the first ride and do not look back with any change of heart.

Ksyriums are all over the place and most folk I talk to like them. I ride the Shimano 7701s and I love them. I have just under 10K miles on them and have never had to true them. I see your in Orange County CA, so am I. There's a patch of yuck asphalt on the northward side of PCH, south of Laguna Beach. I normally bunny hop these sections at up to 25 mph and have never had any problems with my 7701s.

Now, does this mean the 7800s are as durable ... I can't say. Although, if there was a wheelset I'd get (in addition), I wouldn't get Shimano or Mavic. I'd get the Velomax Ascent IIs or Tempest IIs. I've tried the Ascents and think they "roll" better than either the Shimano or Mavic.

Best.

I saw this on the new Shimano WH-7801 Carbon wheels::D

DuraAce
During the Tour, teams like Rabobank tested a new carbon wheel from Shimano (WH-7801 Carbon). From that came a 1,300 gram pair of wheels (570g front, 730g rear) with Shimano-quality durability. Strength was not compromised to reduce the weight of these wheels, yet they are comparable in the lightness to that of the competition. Due out spring 2005.