which wheel

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by endurancenoob, Dec 18, 2003.

1. endurancenoob

endurancenoob New Member

I'm looking for a good all-round wheel and I'm interested mainly in aerodynamics. I've narrowed my choices down to the velocity spartacus pro and the alex 320. Which one would you choose.

Tags:

2. crystal_tears_

crystal_tears_ New Member

Personally i'd go for the Campag Eurus. These wheels are superb. Very light, have a 30 mm aero rim. Great Record quality hubs that are so smooth and spin for what seems like an eternity. The Eurus are very well made, tough.

3. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

It may have an 'aero' profile but 30 mm contributes little or nothing.

4. endurancenoob

endurancenoob New Member

I guess I'll go for some custom ac-420s. I can get rims for 100 canadian a piece. I just need to pick a good hubset. The american classic hubs are pretty expensive.

5. Rudy

Rudy New Member

I have a set of ac 420s and I can vouch for them. I like them very much.
    Stay away from them if you're a clydesdale rider.

6. shokhead1

shokhead1 New Member

Better ones then those,look around.Try roadbikereview.com and see what others use.

7. AvgTdFsizeguy

AvgTdFsizeguy New Member

Agreed. If you go there you'll also notice that Velocity wheels aren't even mentioned. The Spartacus pros have problems. I bought a set for training. I'm 156lbs and broke 2 rear non-drive side spokes on smooth roads within the first month. Velocity gave me a replacement set with Wheelsmith spokes for free which was nice but now I've got 2 sets of wheels I don't trust. Spend a little more and you won't regret it.

8. notryt

notryt New Member

actually the deeper the v.. the shorter the spoke.. the stronger the foundation of the wheel.. HOWEVER.. more surface area is now exposed to crosswinds... 30mph crosswind will definitely push you over if not off your bike. As far as breaking spokes.. it must have been a bad build of the wheel. 205 lbs and no broken spokes or needing to retrue.. being a sprinter I put the wheels to a lot of stress. aerohead (ocr) rims if your under 180. avoid any of the french dressing that maybe on the table. (hint)