which wheels for my new Cervelo R3 ?

Thom_y

Aug 16, 2006
I have an R3 on order to replace my 14 year old Trek 5200. I will be getting the factory-spec'd DuraAce model, but will be doing a few upgrades: FSA Wing bars, FSA compact crankset and possibly replacing the Easton Circuit wheels. I am debating between Mavic Ksyrium ES vs. Zipp 303 or 404's (clinchers). I will be using these wheels as my everyday wheel. I'm 47 years old, I don't race, I ride 3-5 rides per week, 40-65 miles per ride, usually hilly or rolling terrain (1500-3000 feet) and I don't ride fast (average speed 17-20 mph for a ride depending upon terrain/winds).

Ideally, I would like a lightweight wheel, and I'm debating whether to go for weight alone or considering aero benefits. I don't want to consider tubulars. I am a little concerned about crosswind issues, as I usually am dealing with winds near the ocean. I want a wheel I can use everyday. The roads (tertiary highways) that I ride in Maine and Atlantic Canada range between smooth to broken tarmac. The broken sections can be avoided usually, but I really don't want to be cracking a pair of Zipps. For that reason, I am tending more towards the Mavic's as they may be more bulletproof on these roads for every day use, and I can give up on the aerodynamics.

Perhaps, some might say stick with the Easton Circuits that come with the bike.

If you want to go for a prebuilt wheelset, how about the DT Swiss RR1450? They are very light, and made up of the best of the best (IMO) traditional wheel parts that money can buy. If you know of a good wheelbuilder, you can even order the individual parts this wheelset is made of and custom make a similar set (e.g. slightly thicker gauge spokes, or slightly higher spoke count on the rear, etc.)

The other benefit of going for one of these is that when it comes to maintenance, they are no more complicated than a standard traditionally built wheel. And with a sensible 28/28 spoke count, if anything should happen to them out on a ride, you can still limp-home with a broken spoke. Try doing that with a Ksyrium (or fixing a Ksyrium on the side of a road, for that matter...)

Easton also make a good wheelset. Maybe see if you can bump up the spec to their Orion II wheelset? (150+ grams lighter than the Circuits, but still has a sensible spoke count)

Thom_y said:
I have an R3 on order to replace my 14 year old Trek 5200. I will be getting the factory-spec'd DuraAce model, but will be doing a few upgrades: FSA Wing bars, FSA compact crankset and possibly replacing the Easton Circuit wheels. I am debating between Mavic Ksyrium ES vs. Zipp 303 or 404's (clinchers). I will be using these wheels as my everyday wheel. I'm 47 years old, I don't race, I ride 3-5 rides per week, 40-65 miles per ride, usually hilly or rolling terrain (1500-3000 feet) and I don't ride fast (average speed 17-20 mph for a ride depending upon terrain/winds).

Ideally, I would like a lightweight wheel, and I'm debating whether to go for weight alone or considering aero benefits. I don't want to consider tubulars. I am a little concerned about crosswind issues, as I usually am dealing with winds near the ocean. I want a wheel I can use everyday. The roads (tertiary highways) that I ride in Maine and Atlantic Canada range between smooth to broken tarmac. The broken sections can be avoided usually, but I really don't want to be cracking a pair of Zipps. For that reason, I am tending more towards the Mavic's as they may be more bulletproof on these roads for every day use, and I can give up on the aerodynamics.

How much do you weigh?

Go an aero wheel if you care about performance.

I vote 404's.

Or have a look at the HED jets

Thom_y said:

I'd be more inclined to pick either the Mavic ES or the 303's. I've been riding both the Mavic ES & the 404's this year. The 404's are great when it's a calm day but very twitchy with a cross wind. I wish I had gone with the lower profile 303's.

Thom_y said:

I have only bought the latest top of the line Ksyriums, for the last 50,000 miles, without almost any problems and I ride bad roads. I ride a 15lb bike and weigh less than 140lbs. I don't think the ESs are worth the extra money, unless you really like red. I have them, but they only weigh 22 grams less than my 2003 Ksyrium TDFs. The Shimano free hub is lighter than the Campy, because it's made out of Ti.

Thom_y said:

Don't pay a lot for light weight wheels and then put heavy tubes on them. Most light weight tubes, still weigh around 75g and up. There are 50g tubes availible. Don't believe, that thin tubes flat more. If something is sharp enough, to get thru your tire casing, no tube is going to stop it.

Given your goals, I think I'd save my money and stay with the Eastons. You can gain some speed and dump some weight (at a greatly reduced cost) with your choice of tires. For example, Michelin has a limited edition version of their Pro Race2 tire. Then, if money's burning a hole in your pocket, get a power meter. That's an investment in the most important component on your bike, the engine.:D

Believe you'll find the Easton Circuits are a good set of wheels. I've had mine for 11K miles now, and they still run true with no spoke tuning even being done to them.

Agree with RD. You don't race, so why spend a huge amount of money on race wheels? Even if the best aero wheel could save you 3-5 watts over the Circuits, you'll never notice any difference in performance on the road. A power meter might be a good way to blow the extra bucks, or you could just use the money to take you and your bike on a nice cycling vacation....that's what I'd recommend.

zipp 303's tubs with veloflex pave tubulars

you wont get a better wheel on the planet.

I can only dream of something like those:rolleyes:

Forgot that you dont race.

Stick with eastons and get a PM like RD said.

I wouldn't be training on zipps anyway, the eastons will be fine if you intend to ride the bike all the time (better durability).

lks said:
Don't pay a lot for light weight wheels and then put heavy tubes on them. Most light weight tubes, still weigh around 75g and up. There are 50g tubes availible. Don't believe, that thin tubes flat more. If something is sharp enough, to get thru your tire casing, no tube is going to stop it.
Very VERY good point. Tubes and tyres are the first place to spend money. I race on a pair of 100g tubes and 230g tyres. Then for races I switch to continental supersonic tubes (50g) and continental attack force tyres (190g and 210g respectively. Since these are at the outermost edge of the wheel, the weight makes more of a difference. Don't ruin a good wheel with bad rubber.

I would get a custom made pair with sapim CX-rays, a light stiff rim (DT RR1.1) and a very high quality set of hubs (DT anything, Record, Dura-ace)

bobbyOCR said:
Very VERY good point. Tubes and tyres are the first place to spend money. I race on a pair of 100g tubes and 230g tyres. Then for races I switch to continental supersonic tubes (50g) and continental attack force tyres (190g and 210g respectively. Since these are at the outermost edge of the wheel, the weight makes more of a difference. Don't ruin a good wheel with bad rubber.

I would get a custom made pair with sapim CX-rays, a light stiff rim (DT RR1.1) and a very high quality set of hubs (DT anything, Record, Dura-ace)
Agree tires and tubes are the place to go with the best. Your approach of using a heavier "training/race" tire everyday and then saving the superlight stuff for race-only makes sense of course. Race tires with thin sidewalls and tread may be the ultimate in low rolling resistance and lightweight, but that doesn't mean they're the smart choice for the weekend club rides or high-mileage training.

Also like your point on getting a wheel with the best quality hubs. The hubs on the Easton Circuits are the weak point, IMO, because they use the press-in skateboard bearings with no means of adjusting the preload. I still prefer hubs with adjustable bearings which were designed specifically for bicycles.

I just rode on my DT240s hubs, DT R1.1 rims built by Young Wheels. Very lively feeling in big gear sprints up a hill, quiet, compliant over rough, lumpy pavement and just roll on down the road.

The Spokes are DT Super Comp and look very small in gauge, but Joe Young knew that these were do all wheels and made them to work for everythng (training, racing, climbing, comfort, bad roads, etc.). They are traditional lace pattern 28 front and 32 rear.
I dont know what they weigh as I forgot to weight them before putting the tubes and tires and cassette on, but my bike dropped ~ 1 lb after putting them on!! I took off a Shimano WH-R550 wheel set.