Which will it be Iran? Off the Map/back to

Aramaic was the language of Semitic culture, the language of the Hebrew patriarchs and, in the older days, the lingua franca of the Fertile Crescent. The term "Hebrew" is derived from the Aramaic word Abar or Habar which means " to cross over."

This name was given to the Hebrew people simply because Abraham and the people who were with him crossed the river Euphrates and went to Palestine. Therefore, they were known by those who lived east of the river Euphrates as Hebrew, that is, "the people across the river." All branches of the great Semitic people had a common speech.

http://www.omniglot.com/writing/aramaic.htm

limerickman said:
Aramaic is the root language of Hebrew, Arabic, Turkish, and the alphabet for Farsi (Persian), Urdu (Pakistan/Indian) and Greek. One of the oldest, rarest languages in the world, it is currently spoken in Syria and Turkey.

as stated at http://polyglot.lss.wisc.edu/lss/staff/erica/CALL/aramaic.html
It doesn't say anything about Aramaic being spoken in Iran! And Iran has used the Arabic alphabet since around 650AD.

The oldest known writen language is gobbledygook. The oldest known spoken language is gibberish. Modern versions of both these exist, but they are derived from balderdash.

The Dead Sea Scrolls were translated into Cockney Rhyming Slang and constitute the main source of Bernard Manning's jokes.

The main Canaanite languages are as follows:
Phoenician = now extinct (Aramaic writing came from Phoenician alphabet)
Moabite = now extinct.
Edomite = now extinct.
(Moabite, Edomite and Ammonite were spoken in the area of present-day Jordan. Only a handful of short inscriptions and seals from the 9th to the 5th century BC survive).
Surviving Hebrew forms (liturgical)
Biblical Hebrew (liturgical)
Samaritan Hebrew language - liturgical
Mishnaic Hebrew language - Jews, liturgical
Tiberian Hebrew language - liturgical
Mizrahi Hebrew language - liturgical
Yemenite Hebrew language - liturgical
Sephardi Hebrew language - liturgical
Ashkenazi Hebrew language - liturgical

limerickman said:
Let's read english : Aramaic is the root language of Hebrew...........

That statement is unambiguous.

We're Sgt Peppers Loony Hearts Club Band, we hope you will enjoy the show :)

Dondare said:
The oldest known writen language is gobbledygook. The oldest known spoken language is gibberish. Modern versions of both these exist, but they are derived from balderdash.

The Dead Sea Scrolls were translated into Cockney Rhyming Slang and constitute the main source of Bernard Manning's jokes.

I think Aramaic is spoken today in parts of Syria but I imagine it would be different from the kind of Aramaic Jesus spoke.
Some parts of the Bible (Daniel) were also written in Aramaic as this language was taken up by Jewish peoples later on.
It is true that later Hebrew script adopted square shaped symbols from Aramaic but Lim has ignored the fact that this applies to later Hebrew script when Jews started speaking Aramaic too.
Arabic was mainly derived from Aramaic much later on in time.
The tribes of Judah and Israel at the time of David wouldn't have spoken Aramaic as far as I'm aware but some years later on it would have been quite common.

Colorado Ryder said:
It doesn't say anything about Aramaic being spoken in Iran! And Iran has used the Arabic alphabet since around 650AD.

Colorado Ryder said:
I've already told you where Aramaic is still spoken today, and in which parts of all the particular countries. Scroll back and look thicko.

Carrera said:
I think Aramaic is spoken today in parts of Syria but I imagine it would be different from the kind of Aramaic Jesus spoke.
Some parts of the Bible (Daniel) were also written in Aramaic as this language was taken up by Jewish peoples later on.
It is true that later Hebrew script adopted square shaped symbols from Aramaic but Lim has ignored the fact that this applies to later Hebrew script when Jews started speaking Aramaic too.
Arabic was mainly derived from Aramaic much later on in time.
The tribes of Judah and Israel at the time of David wouldn't have spoken Aramaic as far as I'm aware but some years later on it would have been quite common.

Aramaic is an older language than Hebrew.
That's why you failed to mention it when you posted your list of languages last week.
You claim to have studied lingusitics.
I have my doubts.

FredC said:
I've already told you where Aramaic is still spoken today, and in which parts of all the particular countries. Scroll back and look thicko.
You've told us 2 different things. First you told us this in #243.....

"Aramaic is still spoken. In Iran, it is also known as farsi."

Leading us to believe that Farsi=Aramaic.

Then in #270.....

"Aramaic is still spoken today in Northern Iraq, Eastern Turkey, North west Iran, and Syria."

Now if Farsi or Aramaic is the official language of Iran why would it only be spoken in NW Iran?
http://www.farsinet.com/farsi/

Carrera said:
...Jews are not just some people who happen to pick an area of land at random and barge in...
I didn't say anything about picking an area at random, but I am pleased to see that you understand the concept of "barging in" as that is exactly what happened. The example I proffered was of people who could show their roots tying back to Bioko before the present day Fang majority settled there (which is actually a very realistic example). Would it be better for them to come in peace and move towards assimilation, or would it be better for them to "barge in", occupy and build walls?
I find it difficult to believe that anyone can see segregation as a long-term solution. If there is a problem with a criminal element in the community, deal with the criminals - don't punish the whole community on the basis that there are criminals in there midst. If you continue to punish and not engage the community, they will listen to the very element that you are seeking to disempower.

EoinC said:
I didn't say anything about picking an area at random, but I am pleased to see that you understand the concept of "barging in" as that is exactly what happened. The example I proffered was of people who could show their roots tying back to Bioko before the present day Fang majority settled there (which is actually a very realistic example). Would it be better for them to come in peace and move towards assimilation, or would it be better for them to "barge in", occupy and build walls?
I find it difficult to believe that anyone can see segregation as a long-term solution. If there is a problem with a criminal element in the community, deal with the criminals - don't punish the whole community on the basis that there are criminals in there midst. If you continue to punish and not engage the community, they will listen to the very element that you are seeking to disempower.

Irish Television showed a fascinating documentary last night entitled "The Other Zionists"

http://www.theotherzionists.com/

This documentary tells the story of the Machsom Watch an Israeli organisation which monitors the activities of the Israeli Army at checkpoints in the Occupied Palestine.

These brave Jewish women tell the story of how they "bear witness" to Palestinian people, who are required to carry identity and have work visas ,
are required to queue, in many cases for hours, at checkpoints in order to get to their place of work.

Some soldiers - armed with the power to grant or deny access to the queuing Palestines to go through the checkpoint - openly abuse the people who queue
up.
These people cannot answer back - they cannot appeal - they have no means of referring a soldiers decision to deny them access to these checkpoints within their own country.

The documentary is balanced however because it does show the aftermath of bombs in Jerusalem.

http://www.machsomwatch.org/eng/summariesEng.asp?link=summariesEng&lang=eng

Colorado Ryder said:

Then in #270.....

"Aramaic is still spoken today in Northern Iraq, Eastern Turkey, North west Iran, and Syria."

Now if Farsi or Aramaic is the official language of Iran why would it only be spoken in NW Iran?
Aaah, CR, Farsi (known to many as Persian) is the Official Language of Iran and is spoken natively by 58% of the population of Iran, and by most of the remainder of the population as a 2nd language: http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/ir.html
It is not "only spoken in NW Iran". I encountered it working in Afghanistan and in Pakistan. I have Assyrian friends from Northern Iraq who speak and read Farsi.

EoinC said:
Aaah, CR, Farsi (known to many as Persian) is the Official Language of Iran and is spoken natively by 58% of the population of Iran, and by most of the remainder of the population as a 2nd language: http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/ir.html
It is not "only spoken in NW Iran". I encountered it working in Afghanistan and in Pakistan. I have Assyrian friends from Northern Iraq who speak and read Farsi.
It was rhetorical question. Some here think that Aramaic is spoken in Iran where it is called Farsi.

Colorado Ryder said:

Then in #270.....

#243 is correct. Farsi is a development of Aramaic, and Aramaic is still a living language in its own right. If I went to Scotland I'd be able to understand them, and you probably would have difficulty even though some of the words are different. The same applies to Farsi.
#270 For the same reason that languges from unconquered territories remain intact, and less corrupted than the mainstream.
Don't dispute that Aramaic is not a living spoken language today, because it plainly is.

FredC said:
#243 is correct. Farsi is a development of Aramaic, and Aramaic is still a living language in its own right. If I went to Scotland I'd be able to understand them, and you probably would have difficulty even though some of the words are different. The same applies to Farsi.
#270 For the same reason that languges from unconquered territories remain intact, and less corrupted than the mainstream.
Don't dispute that Aramaic is not a living spoken language today, because it plainly is.

T'was never in doubt, Fred.

limerickman said:
T'was never in doubt, Fred.
Argue all you want.

Germans did medical experiments in order to further their theories of "eugenics", of course they didn't know about DNA, but they wanted to tinker with the stuff that they knew not what they were even dealing with, being as stupid and evil as they were.

I am sure you all know that the first victims of Nazi's were handicapped children, the elderly, the helpless, the ill and all other "useless eaters".

Jewish folk today speak the language of their country, some Yiddish, some Hebrew and some Ladino.

Aramaic hysteria oh my, could it be Mel Gibson?

Here in the USA a person from Boston would have trouble understanding a person from Alabama and vice versa.

Why argue semantics, no one can prove who spoke what, when, how long, and why. It's all open to speculation, many ancient languages and dialects.

Colorado Ryder said:

Then in #270.....

English is spoken in England now.English was spoken in England 500 years ago.Very few english speakers today would be able to understand much of what was spoken or written 500 years ago but it is still the same language.

stevebaby said:
English is spoken in England now.English was spoken in England 500 years ago.Very few english speakers today would be able to understand much of what was spoken or written 500 years ago but it is still the same language.
Wrong. read Chaucers's 'Canterbury Tales'.

ptlwp said:
Argue all you want.

Germans did medical experiments in order to further their theories of "eugenics", of course they didn't know about DNA, but they wanted to tinker with the stuff that they knew not what they were even dealing with, being as stupid and evil as they were.

I am sure you all know that the first victims of Nazi's were handicapped children, the elderly, the helpless, the ill and all other "useless eaters".

Jewish folk today speak the language of their country, some Yiddish, some Hebrew and some Ladino.

Aramaic hysteria oh my, could it be Mel Gibson?

Here in the USA a person from Boston would have trouble understanding a person from Alabama and vice versa.

Why argue semantics, no one can prove who spoke what, when, how long, and why. It's all open to speculation, many ancient languages and dialects.
Yes they can from ancient documents and inscriptions.

FredC said:
Wrong. read Chaucers's 'Canterbury Tales'.
I have,with difficulty.It's the same language,but many words are spelt and pronounced differently.Ditto for Shakespeare,as any schoolkid can attest.
Have you ever tried to read a document in "law french"?
:confused: