Which WOE are you following?

[email protected] (LCer09) writes:

>Wow. Over a year on Atkins and I have yet to weigh or measure anything. Who
>knew we were screwing up so badly?

Atkins isn't magic. Calories still count.

Unfortunately, I had to weigh and measure every last bite and calorie
to get the last 20 pounds off. You may find that you'll have to do
the same if you want to make further progress.

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 18:46:25 GMT, Lilith79 <[email protected]>
wrote:

>I know there are a ton of LC 'diet' plans out there. Which one are you
>following?
>
>We follow Atkins.
>
>-Michelle
>295/295/175
>starting 1/2/05

I became T2 diabetic and it was affecting my eyesight, so I did
straight Atkins for about a year until my eyesight problems cleared up
and I attained my goal weight.
Now, I just do simple low-carb and have been able to maintain goal
+- 3 pounds for over a year.
I plan on this for the rest of my life, however, if I can build the
resolve and courage, I'd like to attain the emaciated look using a
starvation diet with periodic fasting. You may have heard about the
rodent study where rats on a super low calorie diet lived twice as
long and were twice as healthy as rats on a regular diet. There are
several thousand individual trying this diet but unfortunately we
won't know the results for several decades.

Fred

wrote:

>I know there are a ton of LC 'diet' plans out there. Which one are you
>following?
>
>We follow Atkins.
>
>-Michelle
>295/295/175
>starting 1/2/05

I became T2 diabetic and it was affecting my eyesight, so I did
straight Atkins for about a year until my eyesight problems cleared up
and I attained my goal weight.
Now, I just do simple low-carb and have been able to maintain goal
+- 3 pounds for over a year.
I plan on this for the rest of my life, however, if I can build the
resolve and courage, I'd like to attain the emaciated look using a
starvation diet with periodic fasting. You may have heard about the
rodent study where rats on a super low calorie diet lived twice as
long and were twice as healthy as rats on a regular diet. There are
several thousand individual trying this diet but unfortunately we
won't know the results for several decades.

Fred

>[email protected] (LCer09) writes:
>
>>Wow. Over a year on Atkins and I have yet to weigh or measure anything. Who
>>knew we were screwing up so badly?

>Atkins isn't magic. Calories still count.
>
>Unfortunately, I had to weigh and measure every last bite and calorie
>to get the last 20 pounds off. You may find that you'll have to do
>the same if you want to make further progress.

If calories count so much, wouldn't you have to weigh and measure everything,
no matter which diet you are on? Why would this be limited to Atkins?

LCing since 12/01/03-
Me- 5'7" 265/159/140
& hubby- 6' 310/188/180
http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/lcer09/my_photos

LCer09 wrote:
||| Atkins isn't magic. Calories still count.
||| Unfortunately, I had to weigh and measure every last bite and
||| calorie
||| to get the last 20 pounds off. You may find that you'll have to do
||| the same if you want to make further progress.
|| If calories count so much, wouldn't you have to weigh and measure
|| everything, no matter which diet you are on? Why would this be
|| limited to Atkins?

Calories count. However, some people can simply stop eating when they are
no longer hungry better than others. For example, you might eat slower than
I do, so you might detect that you're no longer hungry before I do. So, you
naturally limit calories better than I. For me, I simply need to count
calories, and if I don't, I guarantee I won't lose no matter how low carb I
eat.

Who said anything about weighing and measuring being limited to Atkins? But
the fact is Atkins is a high fat diet, so it is easy to rack up a lot of
calories compared to, say, a low fat diet.

What's the difference between Atkins and "simple low-carb"?

In news:[email protected],
Fred <[email protected]> stated

| I became T2 diabetic and it was affecting my eyesight, so I did
| straight Atkins for about a year until my eyesight problems cleared up
| and I attained my goal weight.
| Now, I just do simple low-carb and have been able to maintain goal
| +- 3 pounds for over a year.
| I plan on this for the rest of my life, however, if I can build the
| resolve and courage, I'd like to attain the emaciated look using a
| starvation diet with periodic fasting. You may have heard about the
| rodent study where rats on a super low calorie diet lived twice as
| long and were twice as healthy as rats on a regular diet. There are
| several thousand individual trying this diet but unfortunately we
| won't know the results for several decades.
|
| Fred

says...
> || If calories count so much, wouldn't you have to weigh and measure
> || everything, no matter which diet you are on? Why would this be
> || limited to Atkins?
>
> Calories count. However, some people can simply stop eating when they are
> no longer hungry better than others. For example, you might eat slower than
> I do, so you might detect that you're no longer hungry before I do. So, you
> naturally limit calories better than I. For me, I simply need to count
> calories, and if I don't, I guarantee I won't lose no matter how low carb I
> eat.
>
> Who said anything about weighing and measuring being limited to Atkins? But
> the fact is Atkins is a high fat diet, so it is easy to rack up a lot of
> calories compared to, say, a low fat diet.

I've always resisted weighing and measuring things, but knew I HAD to do
it if I wanted to KNOW what I was eating. After 18 months of it, it's
second nature to me. It's SOOOO easy to under- or over-estimate how
much food you are taking in. I may slack off once I reach my goal
weight (we'll see how that goes THEN), but this works well for me.

--
Saffire
205/145/125 - 5'1.5"

Lilith79 wrote:

> From what I understand, the primary difference between Atkins and

South
> Beach is that SB allows skim milk on induction. Otherwise, they're
> pretty similar.

Then you've missed the basic principles of Atkins, Lilith79.

Atkins is a customized process that revolves around two processes. One
is using ketosis by customizing carb intake to levels determined by
your
own body. The other is trying foods out one at a time to see what does
and doesn't cause you problems and then avoiding the problem ones from
then on. If you're far from average the Atkins processes will take you
a menu that doesn't much resemble the average but you'll still be on
the process.

I've only skimmed the South Beach Diet book so I'm likely to get my
description of it wrong, but it appears that the other Dr A watched
what
ended up the most common customized levels and he designed a menu
to that average. Then he started low and put in some phases to build
to that average. If you're far from average the average targetted by
SBD
might not work well for you.

Doug Freyburger wrote:
> Lilith79 wrote:
>
>>From what I understand, the primary difference between Atkins and

> South
>
>>Beach is that SB allows skim milk on induction. Otherwise, they're
>>pretty similar.

> Then you've missed the basic principles of Atkins, Lilith79.
>
> Atkins is a customized process that revolves around two processes. One
> is using ketosis by customizing carb intake to levels determined by
> your
> own body. The other is trying foods out one at a time to see what does
> and doesn't cause you problems and then avoiding the problem ones from
> then on. If you're far from average the Atkins processes will take you
> a menu that doesn't much resemble the average but you'll still be on
> the process.
>
> I've only skimmed the South Beach Diet book so I'm likely to get my
> description of it wrong, but it appears that the other Dr A watched
> what
> ended up the most common customized levels and he designed a menu
> to that average. Then he started low and put in some phases to build
> to that average. If you're far from average the average targetted by
> SBD
> might not work well for you.

I'm just repeating what was said to me on a message board that is
totally unrelated to LC in nature. Someone said that SB wasn't very
different from Atkins in that SB allowed skim milk on induction.

Of course, what you're saying would explain why one lady, whom is
diabetic, said that Atkins made her ill whereas SB worked for her. Then
again..she's still extremely obese, so I can't say how well it worked
for her.

FWIW I've never read the SBD book. I have no interest in it really.

Michelle
restarted 1/4/04 (quit 3/01 due to pregnancy)
270/268/175

FOB wrote:

> What's the difference between Atkins and "simple low-carb"?

Some people think that Atkins is evil and that it's better to eat whole
foods-including all fruits, veggies, meats, nat. cheeses, milk, grains,
ect. rather than limit these things. I'd imagine this is what Fred
speaks of.

Well, I don't think eating fruits and grains in unlimited amounts is any
kind of low carb plan. I think Atkins is simple low carb albeit with a
certain structure. I didn't follow the steps of Atkins, adding 5 g carb per
week, but I eat what I probably would be eating anyway at this stage had I
followed it.

In news:[email protected],
Lilith79 <[email protected]> stated
| FOB wrote:
|
|| What's the difference between Atkins and "simple low-carb"?
|
| Some people think that Atkins is evil and that it's better to eat
| whole foods-including all fruits, veggies, meats, nat. cheeses, milk,
| grains, ect. rather than limit these things. I'd imagine this is
| what Fred speaks of.

>I know there are a ton of LC 'diet' plans out there. Which one are you
>following?

Carbohydrate Addicts Lifespan Program.

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 20:25:48 +0000, LCer09 wrote:

> If calories count so much, wouldn't you have to weigh and measure everything,
> no matter which diet you are on? Why would this be limited to Atkins?

It has been my own personal experience that the reason I've had to weigh
and measure "everything" on other diets and count every last calorie is
because the food I was choosing to eat didn't satisfy hunger
sufficiently. So I would have to have some piece of paper tell me when
I've had enough, because the numbers say so, even if I went to bed hungry.

On low-carb eating plans I get fuller and satiated more quickly, and find
that the calories are self-regulating. (Take note: My version of low carb
contains no substitutes of high carb foods, or processed foods.) So, in
many cases (albeit not all) "eat until satisfied" just.... works. Smaller
portions satisfy me and sustain me for longer periods.

On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 20:54:47 +0000, Ignoramus7928 wrote:

> On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 15:21:55 -0400, Crafting Mom <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>>I know there are a ton of LC 'diet' plans out there. Which one are you
>>>following?

>> Carbohydrate Addicts Lifespan Program.
>>

> How are you CM?

Doing really well... starting to lose weight again. Amazing how that
happens when I stop trying to kid myself. (grin)
CM

On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 21:48:27 GMT, GQ wrote:

> Atkins here.

Hi, how's Death By heart Attack?

MU wrote:
> On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 21:48:27 GMT, GQ wrote:
>

>>Atkins here.

> Hi, how's Death By heart Attack?

That's not a very Christian attitude.

On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 05:57:09 +0700, Xtile wrote:

>>>Atkins here.

>> Hi, how's Death By heart Attack?

> That's not a very Christian attitude.

I don't agree.

MU wrote:

>>>Hi, how's Death By heart Attack?

>>That's not a very Christian attitude.

> I don't agree.

You are a hypocritical wannabe.

On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 06:18:24 +0700, Xtile wrote:

>>>That's not a very Christian attitude.

>> I don't agree.

> You are a hypocritical wannabe.

Define, using your insight into Christian correctness, where I have fallen
short, Sister.

Or shut up, either one.