Which would you get

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Laker1969, Aug 3, 2012.

1. Laker1969

Laker1969 New Member

Geting a new bike and I have a choice of:

Zipp 404 Firecrest Carbon Clincher
    Shimano Dura-Ace C35 or C50 carbon tubulars
    Mavic Ksyrium SSL

Which one do i choose. I like the look of the Zipp's, but heard they are not strong (can flex in a sprint) -I only weigh 70kg though. Mavic wheels are a bit heavy??, but will last for ever. Don't know much about Shimano wheels.

I have a separate set of training wheels - these will be race time only

Tags:

2. coolcamaro12

coolcamaro12 New Member

I would get the zipps....they are light but since you don't weigh that much it doesn't matter. Also....I'ts a race. Everything is about speed.

3. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

If the only the choice is those listed, then I'd get the Zipps without question. In reality, I'd really want either Enve SES 3.4 or 6.7 wheels. The Mavics are plagued with a crap rear hub design and poor aero properties. There's naught wrong with the Shimanos other than their just a bit heavier than other comparable wheels and aren't up to the aero snuff of the Zipps or Enves.

4. swampy1970

swampy1970 Well-Known Member

Of those I'd go with the Zipp Carbon Clinchers.

Another noteworthy choice would be the HED Jet6 Flamme Rouge with an aluminum braking surface.

If you're keeping those wheels on the race bike all the time then carbon rims aint too bad but if you're swapping between wheels with a carbon and aluminum braking surface then get used to swapping out brakepads often.

5. swampy1970

swampy1970 Well-Known Member

Not sure which rock you've been hiding under, but Mark Cavendish has won most of his Tour de France stages on Zipp 404s and 808s. Greipel has won a few races in sprints on Zipp wheels and he's not a small lad either.

6. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

Zipp wheels did have a reputation for failing, but those failures were fixed several generations ago, and now Zipp wheels are pretty damned robust.