Which XC would you buy

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by BAD MOJO, Jan 17, 2005.

1. BAD MOJO

BAD MOJO New Member

Switching from hardtail to full suspension. Check the poll and tell me which you would buy. This is not a wish list. Tell me why you would ride this over the others.

Tags:

2. BAD MOJO

BAD MOJO New Member

come awn. did I post this in the right place?

3. triguy98

triguy98 New Member

My fav. LBS carries Santa Cruz. So I would prolly go with the blur. Havent ridden any of em, only seen a couple Truths round these parts, no YETIs. I dont think you could really go wrong with Either the Truth or the Blur. Customer service and personal feel should be the top reasons you ride a bike. I wouldnt spend $3k on a bike without having ridden it, trusting only other people's opinions.

4. rek

rek New Member

When I moved from hardtail to FS I went for a C'dale Scalpel (mainly because I got one at a great price, and could keep using my Lefty) but from that list I'd lean towards the Ellsworth. As triguy said, I'd definitely want to ride one before shelling out the mega-$$$ for them..

For what it's worth, I've never ridden one (Ellsworth Truth), but have never heard a bad word about them, and they seem to win a lot of comparison tests in MTB mags.

5. moparchris

moparchris New Member

ride the main ones you like and just choose it by which one feels better to ride

6. BAD MOJO

BAD MOJO New Member

I have ridden the Blur Both large and med frames. Really impressed with the med frame. Fit like a glove. I also rode the Yeti 575 (long travel asr) and it rode like a 70's lincoln with no shocks. Still need to ride the shorter travel ASR-sl and the Titec. OH also the Truth. I have been digging around the net for reviews but wanted to know what you the true consumers have to say.

Thanks for the help.:D

7. upontwo

upontwo New Member

Try a Giant NRS. Have one an love it. Like you, I came off a hardtail. Maybe a Trek Fuel?

8. BAD MOJO

BAD MOJO New Member

Nice bikes. The fuel and Giant. First bike was a Giant and it took a good beating and held up well.

However, today I road the Yeti ASR-sl. What a sweet ride. The owner of the local shop let me take it out for the day and I was very impressed. When I brought it back to the store I actually tried to buy it from him. ( its only 5 mths old.) He said he'd think about it.

Saw a group of guys ridding the Maverick today. This is also a sweet bike I would like to try but when I saw the price for a XT, Sram X.O it made the loaded yeti look affordable.

My search still continues. Leaning toward the Yeti at this point .

Keep the info comming.

9. upontwo

upontwo New Member

Yes, the Yeti would be a fine xc bike. You could not go wrong with that one.

I ordered a Yeti 575 a few weeks ago. It has not arrived yet. I'll post pictures when it's built.
    I have an xc bike now but want more of a trail bike(all-mountain). My Giant NRS throws me around alot in the heavy rock gardens.

10. BAD MOJO

BAD MOJO New Member

I test road the 575 a couple weeks back. Seems to be a popular choice for some. I did not like it. Way too much pedal bob for me. even with the rp3 in the tighest position and the shock set for my weight. I couldn't imagine enjoying a uphill on the 575. Plus the fact that they are mass produced and not hand made like the ASR-sl. YA I know what bike isn't mass produced. I 'm just starting to think that If I'm gonna lay down that kind of $$$ It's cool to know some dude in Colorado did the work.
    A possitive about the 575 is the lower cost and you do get a lot of travel for your rock gardens.

Just my .02

11. upontwo

upontwo New Member

That's strange?! All I hear are good things about the 575, uphill and down. Of course there is almost 6" of travel which my make it feal soft when you hammer the pedals. Again I'm not buying this bike to race, just to have fun.

Hey have you tried the new Giant Trance w/ the Maestro suspension? 4" of travel w/ little pedal bob. Good stand over height too. I rode the Trance and the 6" travel Reign. The Trance1 weighs around 26lbs. 3400.00 bucks, ouch!!!

12. stang106

stang106 New Member

Blur.

I test rode a few other high-end bikes and The rear suspension is lightyears ahead of the others. I live on Vancouver island where it is very wet and steep so big knobs and low pressures rule. The ability to climb forever with absolutely no pedal bob but when you hit a root, rock, or log the rear will absorb the obsticle and let down the other side without spinning or tossing your butt off. I've just ordered a 130mm Talas for the front as 100m isn't quite enough for these parts. I race XC also and the softer I manage to tune the suspension the faster the bike gets. If my Blur got wrecked or stolen the only bike I would replace it with is another Blur. This is a trail bike and unsuited for very steep high-speed decents or big drops. But I have raced many guys on these kind of bikes and since by Blur weighs 25lbs and any freeride or downhill bike is at least 40lbs, none of those guys are anywhere near me by the top where the steep singletrack starts-or at the finish. I have also changed the shifters, cassette and chain to SRAM after I wore out the XT stuff. I can shift the SRAM quicker and more intuitively that keeps my momentun going and suits the Blur very well. I rode two hours in the rain today through the trails, muck, and streams and loved every minute of it.
    Blur.
    Dave

13. BAD MOJO

BAD MOJO New Member

Just my opinion. Guess I'm not ready for that much travel.

14. BAD MOJO

BAD MOJO New Member

thanks for the imput. You are definatly correct about the technology. It does seem to be quite ahead of the others. I have read quite a few reviews and many people are saying the same. For me its almost a toss between the yeti and the blur.

15. William Henry

William Henry New Member

You forgot the heckler and you should also put in trek and cannondale and specialized. please post more carfully

16. triguy98

triguy98 New Member

I can see how those bike were left off. For the $$, Trek's mountain bikes arent as good a value as their road bikes are. For the price of the Liquids anymore, I'd much rather spring a little more and go for a Santa Cruz.
    I am also of the opinion that Cannondales bike are FUGLY. Really Fugly. Capable yes, but if I am spending the $$, I want a pretty bike. Same with Specialized. None of their softtales make me think "hey, that's a good lookin bike" I also dont think any of the specialized are as well rounded as the Truth or Blur. But that's just me and my riding.

17. BAD MOJO

BAD MOJO New Member

thank you. all I can say is NAIL ON THE HEAD!!!

I ride a specialized hardtail and its not that they don't make a nice bike I just feel that I'm beyond them for now. (this includes there dual suspension models)
    I also rode a trek and feel the same way. As far as cannondales, well they are just a fugly bike.

18. Cyclist14

Cyclist14 New Member

The Heckler isn't really a XC bike, its more all-mountain. The Specialized FSR XC or the Giant Trance are two good choices.

19. BAD MOJO

BAD MOJO New Member

Made my decision and went with the YETI asr-sl. Feel I made a solid choice and will be happy with the bike for a few years. Thanks to all that reply.

20. cydewaze

cydewaze New Member

I'm pretty particular about rear suspension design, and if I had to buy something new now, it would either be a Giant NRS (cost dependent) or a Turner Nitrous (cost independent). I like active suspensions that aren't affected by pedalling.