While cleaning out Mom's closets...

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by maxine in ri, Dec 5, 2005.

  1. maxine in ri

    maxine in ri Guest

    We came upon her liquor stash. Most of it I'm sure is fine, but there
    were these two bottles of dry white table wine with the year 1979 on
    the label.

    Would this conceiveably be drinkable, or useful for marinades instead
    of vinegar, or a total waste? They're corked, and don't leak when
    turned on their sides.

    maxine in ri

    Tags:

  2. Dee Randall

    Dee Randall Guest

    "maxine in ri" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > We came upon her liquor stash. Most of it I'm sure is fine, but there
    > were these two bottles of dry white table wine with the year 1979 on
    > the label.
    >
    > Would this conceiveably be drinkable, or useful for marinades instead
    > of vinegar, or a total waste? They're corked, and don't leak when
    > turned on their sides.
    >
    > maxine in ri

    I'm far and away from being an expert, but I will say a definite "no." I'm
    sure I'll be 100% shot down. It will be interesting to hear the answers.
    Dee Dee

  3. Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

    maxine in ri wrote:
    > We came upon her liquor stash. Most of it I'm sure is fine, but there
    > were these two bottles of dry white table wine with the year 1979 on
    > the label.
    >
    > Would this conceiveably be drinkable, or useful for marinades instead
    > of vinegar, or a total waste? They're corked, and don't leak when
    > turned on their sides.

    Only one way to find out... guess?

    Sheldon Screw

  4. maxine in ri

    maxine in ri Guest

    On Mon, 5 Dec 2005 22:31:44 -0500, "Dee Randall"
    <[email protected]> connected the dots and wrote:

    ~
    ~"maxine in ri" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    ~news:[email protected]
    ~> We came upon her liquor stash. Most of it I'm sure is fine, but
    there
    ~> were these two bottles of dry white table wine with the year 1979
    on
    ~> the label.
    ~>
    ~> Would this conceiveably be drinkable, or useful for marinades
    instead
    ~> of vinegar, or a total waste? They're corked, and don't leak when
    ~> turned on their sides.
    ~>
    ~> maxine in ri
    ~
    ~I'm far and away from being an expert, but I will say a definite
    "no." I'm
    ~sure I'll be 100% shot down. It will be interesting to hear the
    answers.
    ~Dee Dee

    Thanks, Dee Dee. Someone is sure to know in this group<g>

    maxine

  5. Puester

    Puester Guest

    maxine in ri wrote:
    > We came upon her liquor stash. Most of it I'm sure is fine, but there
    > were these two bottles of dry white table wine with the year 1979 on
    > the label.
    >
    > Would this conceiveably be drinkable, or useful for marinades instead
    > of vinegar, or a total waste? They're corked, and don't leak when
    > turned on their sides.
    >
    > maxine in ri

    Doubtful. Whites don't age well, especially that long. Ask me how I
    know that.... On second thought, don't. We've thrown away a LOT of
    white wine in our time.

    I inherited a bottle of port in 1971 that my dad bought in Portugal
    years earlier, labeled "25 year old" and I'm afraid to open it.

    gloria p

  6. In article <[email protected]>,
    maxine in ri <[email protected]> wrote:

    > We came upon her liquor stash. Most of it I'm sure is fine, but there
    > were these two bottles of dry white table wine with the year 1979 on
    > the label.
    >
    > Would this conceiveably be drinkable, or useful for marinades instead
    > of vinegar, or a total waste? They're corked, and don't leak when
    > turned on their sides.
    >
    > maxine in ri

    Some fine wines are 100 years old or more.......

    and sell for a LOT.

    Do you think they were kept at a fairly cool temperature?
    --
    Om.

  7. well, I don't know much about the wine, but I googled it, and came up
    with many different sites that are selling white wine from 1979. I
    think that as long as it was closed, it should be ok. You said it was
    corked, so yea, I'd trust it. (I think)

  8. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected]
    says...
    > We came upon her liquor stash. Most of it I'm sure is fine, but there
    > were these two bottles of dry white table wine with the year 1979 on
    > the label.
    >
    > Would this conceiveably be drinkable, or useful for marinades instead
    > of vinegar, or a total waste? They're corked, and don't leak when
    > turned on their sides.
    >
    > maxine in ri

    Quite conceivably drinkable. In the end it's down to the alcohol content and a
    spot of luck. As I recall there is a 'magic number' wich is around 12.5 - 13.5%
    alcohol; wine that is above that will keep for a very long time indeed.

    -P. (who still has some 1984 CabSav in his cellar as well as some 1985 homemade
    blackberry wine that has gone clear by now and packs more punch than sherry
    <g>)

  9. Seth Goodman

    Seth Goodman Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    on Tue, 06 Dec 2005 03:52:04 GMT, Puester wrote:

    > I inherited a bottle of port in 1971 that my dad bought in Portugal
    > years earlier, labeled "25 year old" and I'm afraid to open it.

    You've got a bottle of port that's at *least* 59 years old? That's
    *very* dangerous! Please send to me at once, for safe disposal.

    (Actually, unless it's a *very* cheap port, or labeled tawny (tawny
    ports don't age in the bottle), it may have aged very nicely. You
    haven't been storing it on top of the furnace, have you?)

    --
    Seth Goodman

  10. zxcvbob

    zxcvbob Guest

    OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > maxine in ri <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>We came upon her liquor stash. Most of it I'm sure is fine, but there
    >>were these two bottles of dry white table wine with the year 1979 on
    >>the label.
    >>
    >>Would this conceiveably be drinkable, or useful for marinades instead
    >>of vinegar, or a total waste? They're corked, and don't leak when
    >>turned on their sides.
    >>
    >>maxine in ri

    > Some fine wines are 100 years old or more.......
    >
    > and sell for a LOT.
    >
    > Do you think they were kept at a fairly cool temperature?

    But those fine old wines are not white table wines. None of them.

    OTOH, the 20+ year old wine is probably OK for cooking, or wine coolers,
    or something.

    Bob

  11. modom

    modom Guest

    On Mon, 05 Dec 2005 22:25:21 -0500, maxine in ri <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >We came upon her liquor stash. Most of it I'm sure is fine, but there
    >were these two bottles of dry white table wine with the year 1979 on
    >the label.
    >
    >Would this conceiveably be drinkable, or useful for marinades instead
    >of vinegar, or a total waste? They're corked, and don't leak when
    >turned on their sides.
    >
    >maxine in ri

    Nope. Old white wine tastes like insipid shellac.

    (I'm a shellac connoisseur, by the way.)

    modom

  12. On Mon 05 Dec 2005 08:52:04p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Puester?

    > maxine in ri wrote:
    >> We came upon her liquor stash. Most of it I'm sure is fine, but there
    >> were these two bottles of dry white table wine with the year 1979 on
    >> the label.
    >>
    >> Would this conceiveably be drinkable, or useful for marinades instead
    >> of vinegar, or a total waste? They're corked, and don't leak when
    >> turned on their sides.
    >>
    >> maxine in ri

    > Doubtful. Whites don't age well, especially that long. Ask me how I
    > know that.... On second thought, don't. We've thrown away a LOT of
    > white wine in our time.
    >
    > I inherited a bottle of port in 1971 that my dad bought in Portugal
    > years earlier, labeled "25 year old" and I'm afraid to open it.
    >
    > gloria p

    Store properly, the port should be fine. Maybe even very fine. :)

    --
    Wayne Boatwright *¿*

  13. ensenadajim

    ensenadajim Guest

    wrote:

    >We came upon her liquor stash. Most of it I'm sure is fine, but there
    >were these two bottles of dry white table wine with the year 1979 on
    >the label.
    >
    >Would this conceiveably be drinkable, or useful for marinades instead
    >of vinegar, or a total waste? They're corked, and don't leak when
    >turned on their sides.
    >
    >maxine in ri

    Do up a dinner and have some suitable wine on hand in case - then
    uncork one of these and try it. If its turned (think vinegar) then use
    the other. If it is okay, enjoy! You might even use the second bottle.

    If it has turned, think wine vinegar.

    jim

  14. In article
    <[email protected]>,
    Puester <[email protected]> wrote:

    > maxine in ri wrote:
    > > We came upon her liquor stash. Most of it I'm sure is fine, but there
    > > were these two bottles of dry white table wine with the year 1979 on
    > > the label.
    > >
    > > Would this conceiveably be drinkable, or useful for marinades instead
    > > of vinegar, or a total waste? They're corked, and don't leak when
    > > turned on their sides.
    > >
    > > maxine in ri

    > Doubtful. Whites don't age well, especially that long. Ask me how I
    > know that.... On second thought, don't. We've thrown away a LOT of
    > white wine in our time.
    >
    > I inherited a bottle of port in 1971 that my dad bought in Portugal
    > years earlier, labeled "25 year old" and I'm afraid to open it.
    >
    > gloria p

    Get Charlie! He'd be thrilled to help you!
    --
    http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 12-4-05, Skyline Aglow

  15. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    maxine in ri wrote:
    > We came upon her liquor stash. Most of it I'm sure is fine, but there
    > were these two bottles of dry white table wine with the year 1979 on
    > the label.
    >
    > Would this conceiveably be drinkable, or useful for marinades instead
    > of vinegar, or a total waste? They're corked, and don't leak when
    > turned on their sides.
    >
    > maxine in ri

    Only one way to tell, Maxine... take a tiny sip and be prepared to taste
    vinegar.
    If so, toss it. Red wines keep but once uncorked only a couple of years.

    Jill

  16. jacqui{JB}

    jacqui{JB} Guest

    "ensenadajim" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Do up a dinner and have some suitable wine
    > on hand in case - then uncork one of these
    > and try it. If its turned (think vinegar) then use
    > the other. If it is okay, enjoy! You might even
    > use the second bottle.
    >
    > If it has turned, think wine vinegar.

    I think this is the best advice so far. You said that the wine doesn't leak
    when turned on its side; does this mean it was stored standing up? Don't
    get your hopes up too high if this is the case. If the wine's been stored
    on its side, keeping the cork moist and tight, you've got a much better
    chance of a drinkable product.

    If the wine's been properly stored and still turned, you'll have vinegar.
    If the wine hasn't been properly stored and it's turned, you'll have
    something unusable. You'll be able to tell the difference immediately.
    "Corked" wine is quite unlike vinegar.

    -j

  17. Bronwyn

    Bronwyn Guest

    This reminds of some friends some years ago moved from a cool climate
    to a semi-tropical climate (think Florida latitude in Oz). Bob was a
    wine buff and had a large cellar of mainly reds. In the new location
    the wine was stored in a garage (think metal roof). A couple of years
    later we sat outside with a steak or three on the barbie and started
    opening Grange Hermitage wines (a very good label)
    ....corked...corked....corked.... and so on through a dozen bottles.
    I found a red wine vinegar recipe, bought the air pump, etc. did the
    required work and we split the proceeds - it was the best Grange
    Hermitage vinegar! But we also cried tears of losing very good wines!

    Cheers
    Bronwyn
    Oz

  18. Kathy in NZ

    Kathy in NZ Guest

    wrote:

    >We came upon her liquor stash. Most of it I'm sure is fine, but there
    >were these two bottles of dry white table wine with the year 1979 on
    >the label.
    >
    >Would this conceiveably be drinkable, or useful for marinades instead
    >of vinegar, or a total waste? They're corked, and don't leak when
    >turned on their sides.
    >
    >maxine in ri

    It's unlikely to still be drinkable, but put a bottle in the fridge
    and try it tomorrow. If it's not drinkable, don't use it for cooking
    either.

  19. Vilco

    Vilco Guest

    Mi e' parso che Puester abbia scritto:

    > I inherited a bottle of port in 1971 that my dad bought
    > in Portugal years earlier, labeled "25 year old" and I'm
    > afraid to open it.

    If it has been stored properly it ha probably survived, otherwise
    it is probably gone. Properly storing: humidity around 80-90%,
    temperature between 7°C and 18°C (possibly stationery, better
    around 10°C) and horizontal bottle.
    --
    Vilco
    Think Pink , Drink Rose'

  20. Dave Smith

    Dave Smith Guest

    maxine in ri wrote:

    > We came upon her liquor stash. Most of it I'm sure is fine, but there
    > were these two bottles of dry white table wine with the year 1979 on
    > the label.
    >
    > Would this conceiveably be drinkable, or useful for marinades instead
    > of vinegar, or a total waste? They're corked, and don't leak when
    > turned on their sides.

    White wines are not made to be aged. It probably turned south years ago.