While cleaning out Mom's closets...

maxine in ri

Guest
We came upon her liquor stash. Most of it I'm sure is fine, but there
were these two bottles of dry white table wine with the year 1979 on
the label.

Would this conceiveably be drinkable, or useful for marinades instead
of vinegar, or a total waste? They're corked, and don't leak when
turned on their sides.

maxine in ri

"maxine in ri" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> We came upon her liquor stash. Most of it I'm sure is fine, but there
> were these two bottles of dry white table wine with the year 1979 on
> the label.
>
> Would this conceiveably be drinkable, or useful for marinades instead
> of vinegar, or a total waste? They're corked, and don't leak when
> turned on their sides.
>
> maxine in ri

I'm far and away from being an expert, but I will say a definite "no." I'm
sure I'll be 100% shot down. It will be interesting to hear the answers.
Dee Dee

maxine in ri wrote:
> We came upon her liquor stash. Most of it I'm sure is fine, but there
> were these two bottles of dry white table wine with the year 1979 on
> the label.
>
> Would this conceiveably be drinkable, or useful for marinades instead
> of vinegar, or a total waste? They're corked, and don't leak when
> turned on their sides.

Only one way to find out... guess?

Sheldon Screw

On Mon, 5 Dec 2005 22:31:44 -0500, "Dee Randall"
<[email protected]> connected the dots and wrote:

~
~"maxine in ri" <[email protected]> wrote in message
~news:[email protected]...
~> We came upon her liquor stash. Most of it I'm sure is fine, but
there
~> were these two bottles of dry white table wine with the year 1979
on
~> the label.
~>
~> Would this conceiveably be drinkable, or useful for marinades
instead
~> of vinegar, or a total waste? They're corked, and don't leak when
~> turned on their sides.
~>
~> maxine in ri
~
~I'm far and away from being an expert, but I will say a definite
"no." I'm
~sure I'll be 100% shot down. It will be interesting to hear the
answers.
~Dee Dee

Thanks, Dee Dee. Someone is sure to know in this group<g>

maxine

maxine in ri wrote:
> We came upon her liquor stash. Most of it I'm sure is fine, but there
> were these two bottles of dry white table wine with the year 1979 on
> the label.
>
> Would this conceiveably be drinkable, or useful for marinades instead
> of vinegar, or a total waste? They're corked, and don't leak when
> turned on their sides.
>
> maxine in ri

Doubtful. Whites don't age well, especially that long. Ask me how I
know that.... On second thought, don't. We've thrown away a LOT of
white wine in our time.

I inherited a bottle of port in 1971 that my dad bought in Portugal
years earlier, labeled "25 year old" and I'm afraid to open it.

gloria p

In article <[email protected]>,
maxine in ri <[email protected]> wrote:

> We came upon her liquor stash. Most of it I'm sure is fine, but there
> were these two bottles of dry white table wine with the year 1979 on
> the label.
>
> Would this conceiveably be drinkable, or useful for marinades instead
> of vinegar, or a total waste? They're corked, and don't leak when
> turned on their sides.
>
> maxine in ri

Some fine wines are 100 years old or more.......

and sell for a LOT.

Do you think they were kept at a fairly cool temperature?
--
Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

well, I don't know much about the wine, but I googled it, and came up
with many different sites that are selling white wine from 1979. I
think that as long as it was closed, it should be ok. You said it was
corked, so yea, I'd trust it. (I think)

says...
> We came upon her liquor stash. Most of it I'm sure is fine, but there
> were these two bottles of dry white table wine with the year 1979 on
> the label.
>
> Would this conceiveably be drinkable, or useful for marinades instead
> of vinegar, or a total waste? They're corked, and don't leak when
> turned on their sides.
>
> maxine in ri

Quite conceivably drinkable. In the end it's down to the alcohol content and a
spot of luck. As I recall there is a 'magic number' wich is around 12.5 - 13.5%
alcohol; wine that is above that will keep for a very long time indeed.

-P. (who still has some 1984 CabSav in his cellar as well as some 1985 homemade
blackberry wine that has gone clear by now and packs more punch than sherry
<g>)

on Tue, 06 Dec 2005 03:52:04 GMT, Puester wrote:

> I inherited a bottle of port in 1971 that my dad bought in Portugal
> years earlier, labeled "25 year old" and I'm afraid to open it.

You've got a bottle of port that's at *least* 59 years old? That's
*very* dangerous! Please send to me at once, for safe disposal.

(Actually, unless it's a *very* cheap port, or labeled tawny (tawny
ports don't age in the bottle), it may have aged very nicely. You
haven't been storing it on top of the furnace, have you?)

--
Seth Goodman

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> maxine in ri <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>We came upon her liquor stash. Most of it I'm sure is fine, but there
>>were these two bottles of dry white table wine with the year 1979 on
>>the label.
>>
>>Would this conceiveably be drinkable, or useful for marinades instead
>>of vinegar, or a total waste? They're corked, and don't leak when
>>turned on their sides.
>>
>>maxine in ri

> Some fine wines are 100 years old or more.......
>
> and sell for a LOT.
>
> Do you think they were kept at a fairly cool temperature?

But those fine old wines are not white table wines. None of them.

OTOH, the 20+ year old wine is probably OK for cooking, or wine coolers,
or something.

Bob

On Mon, 05 Dec 2005 22:25:21 -0500, maxine in ri <[email protected]>
wrote:

>We came upon her liquor stash. Most of it I'm sure is fine, but there
>were these two bottles of dry white table wine with the year 1979 on
>the label.
>
>Would this conceiveably be drinkable, or useful for marinades instead
>of vinegar, or a total waste? They're corked, and don't leak when
>turned on their sides.
>
>maxine in ri

Nope. Old white wine tastes like insipid shellac.

(I'm a shellac connoisseur, by the way.)

modom

On Mon 05 Dec 2005 08:52:04p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Puester?

> maxine in ri wrote:
>> We came upon her liquor stash. Most of it I'm sure is fine, but there
>> were these two bottles of dry white table wine with the year 1979 on
>> the label.
>>
>> Would this conceiveably be drinkable, or useful for marinades instead
>> of vinegar, or a total waste? They're corked, and don't leak when
>> turned on their sides.
>>
>> maxine in ri

> Doubtful. Whites don't age well, especially that long. Ask me how I
> know that.... On second thought, don't. We've thrown away a LOT of
> white wine in our time.
>
> I inherited a bottle of port in 1971 that my dad bought in Portugal
> years earlier, labeled "25 year old" and I'm afraid to open it.
>
> gloria p

Store properly, the port should be fine. Maybe even very fine. :)

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

wrote:

>We came upon her liquor stash. Most of it I'm sure is fine, but there
>were these two bottles of dry white table wine with the year 1979 on
>the label.
>
>Would this conceiveably be drinkable, or useful for marinades instead
>of vinegar, or a total waste? They're corked, and don't leak when
>turned on their sides.
>
>maxine in ri

Do up a dinner and have some suitable wine on hand in case - then
uncork one of these and try it. If its turned (think vinegar) then use
the other. If it is okay, enjoy! You might even use the second bottle.

If it has turned, think wine vinegar.

jim

In article
<[email protected]>,
Puester <[email protected]> wrote:

> maxine in ri wrote:
> > We came upon her liquor stash. Most of it I'm sure is fine, but there
> > were these two bottles of dry white table wine with the year 1979 on
> > the label.
> >
> > Would this conceiveably be drinkable, or useful for marinades instead
> > of vinegar, or a total waste? They're corked, and don't leak when
> > turned on their sides.
> >
> > maxine in ri

> Doubtful. Whites don't age well, especially that long. Ask me how I
> know that.... On second thought, don't. We've thrown away a LOT of
> white wine in our time.
>
> I inherited a bottle of port in 1971 that my dad bought in Portugal
> years earlier, labeled "25 year old" and I'm afraid to open it.
>
> gloria p

Get Charlie! He'd be thrilled to help you!
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 12-4-05, Skyline Aglow

maxine in ri wrote:
> We came upon her liquor stash. Most of it I'm sure is fine, but there
> were these two bottles of dry white table wine with the year 1979 on
> the label.
>
> Would this conceiveably be drinkable, or useful for marinades instead
> of vinegar, or a total waste? They're corked, and don't leak when
> turned on their sides.
>
> maxine in ri

Only one way to tell, Maxine... take a tiny sip and be prepared to taste
vinegar.
If so, toss it. Red wines keep but once uncorked only a couple of years.

Jill

"ensenadajim" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Do up a dinner and have some suitable wine
> on hand in case - then uncork one of these
> and try it. If its turned (think vinegar) then use
> the other. If it is okay, enjoy! You might even
> use the second bottle.
>
> If it has turned, think wine vinegar.

I think this is the best advice so far. You said that the wine doesn't leak
when turned on its side; does this mean it was stored standing up? Don't
get your hopes up too high if this is the case. If the wine's been stored
on its side, keeping the cork moist and tight, you've got a much better
chance of a drinkable product.

If the wine's been properly stored and still turned, you'll have vinegar.
If the wine hasn't been properly stored and it's turned, you'll have
something unusable. You'll be able to tell the difference immediately.
"Corked" wine is quite unlike vinegar.

-j

This reminds of some friends some years ago moved from a cool climate
to a semi-tropical climate (think Florida latitude in Oz). Bob was a
wine buff and had a large cellar of mainly reds. In the new location
the wine was stored in a garage (think metal roof). A couple of years
later we sat outside with a steak or three on the barbie and started
opening Grange Hermitage wines (a very good label)
....corked...corked....corked.... and so on through a dozen bottles.
I found a red wine vinegar recipe, bought the air pump, etc. did the
required work and we split the proceeds - it was the best Grange
Hermitage vinegar! But we also cried tears of losing very good wines!

Cheers
Bronwyn
Oz

wrote:

>We came upon her liquor stash. Most of it I'm sure is fine, but there
>were these two bottles of dry white table wine with the year 1979 on
>the label.
>
>Would this conceiveably be drinkable, or useful for marinades instead
>of vinegar, or a total waste? They're corked, and don't leak when
>turned on their sides.
>
>maxine in ri

It's unlikely to still be drinkable, but put a bottle in the fridge
and try it tomorrow. If it's not drinkable, don't use it for cooking
either.

Mi e' parso che Puester abbia scritto:

> I inherited a bottle of port in 1971 that my dad bought
> in Portugal years earlier, labeled "25 year old" and I'm
> afraid to open it.

If it has been stored properly it ha probably survived, otherwise
it is probably gone. Properly storing: humidity around 80-90%,
temperature between 7°C and 18°C (possibly stationery, better
around 10°C) and horizontal bottle.
--
Vilco
Think Pink , Drink Rose'

maxine in ri wrote:

> We came upon her liquor stash. Most of it I'm sure is fine, but there
> were these two bottles of dry white table wine with the year 1979 on
> the label.
>
> Would this conceiveably be drinkable, or useful for marinades instead
> of vinegar, or a total waste? They're corked, and don't leak when
> turned on their sides.

White wines are not made to be aged. It probably turned south years ago.