While cleaning out Mom's closets...

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

> Some fine wines are 100 years old or more.......
>
> and sell for a LOT.\

Reds, not whites.

Vilco wrote:

> If it has been stored properly it ha probably survived, otherwise
> it is probably gone. Properly storing: humidity around 80-90%,
> temperature between 7°C and 18°C (possibly stationery, better
> around 10°C) and horizontal bottle.
> --

I always wondered what the ambient humidity had to do with the life
of wine in a bottle. They are sealed.

Mi e' parso che Dave Smith abbia scritto:

>> If it has been stored properly it ha probably survived,
>> otherwise it is probably gone. Properly storing:
>> humidity around 80-90%, temperature between 7°C and 18°C
>> (possibly stationery, better around 10°C) and horizontal
>> bottle. --

> I always wondered what the ambient humidity had to do
> with the life of wine in a bottle. They are sealed.

Those plastic caps don't provide a good airproof seal, and the
same is for metallic caps. So, if the air-humidity is low, the
cork starts to dry maybe reaching the the point it can leak wine.
If the bottle is correctly horizontal, the wine helps to prevent
the cork fro drying but the wine will get in contact with air in
the cork and start to oxidize.
--
Vilco
Think Pink , Drink Rose'

I also found a bottle of 2 buck chuck in my closet, so I'll open the 79
and see what it is like, and use the chuck if it's beyond salvage.

Thanks for some interesting lessons and information<g>

maxine in ri

I also found a bottle of 2 buck chuck in my closet, so I'll open the 79
and see what it is like, and use the chuck if it's beyond salvage.

Thanks for some interesting lessons and information<g>

maxine in ri

The only way to know for sure is to open them up and use them. Have
an alternate wine on hand just in case they are unusable.

sf
```````````````````````````

On Mon, 05 Dec 2005 22:39:10 -0500, maxine in ri <[email protected]>
wrote:

>On Mon, 5 Dec 2005 22:31:44 -0500, "Dee Randall"
><[email protected]> connected the dots and wrote:
>
>~
>~"maxine in ri" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>~news:[email protected]...
>~> We came upon her liquor stash. Most of it I'm sure is fine, but
>there
>~> were these two bottles of dry white table wine with the year 1979
>on
>~> the label.
>~>
>~> Would this conceiveably be drinkable, or useful for marinades
>instead
>~> of vinegar, or a total waste? They're corked, and don't leak when
>~> turned on their sides.
>~>
>~> maxine in ri
>~
>~I'm far and away from being an expert, but I will say a definite
>"no." I'm
>~sure I'll be 100% shot down. It will be interesting to hear the
>answers.
>~Dee Dee
>
>Thanks, Dee Dee. Someone is sure to know in this group<g>
>
>maxine

"maxine in ri" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> We came upon her liquor stash. Most of it I'm sure is fine, but there
> were these two bottles of dry white table wine with the year 1979 on
> the label.
>
> Would this conceiveably be drinkable, or useful for marinades instead
> of vinegar, or a total waste? They're corked, and don't leak when
> turned on their sides.
>
> maxine in ri

Unfortunately, white wine does not age a dramatically as reds but if there has
been no air leakage the wine should be just fine. BTW wine vinegar is NOT
spoiled wine it is wine that has had the alcohol converted by a specific
bacteria.

Dimitri

On Tue 06 Dec 2005 11:02:26a, sf wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> The only way to know for sure is to open them up and use them. Have
> an alternate wine on hand just in case they are unusable.
>
> sf
> ```````````````````````````
>

> On Mon, 05 Dec 2005 22:39:10 -0500, maxine in ri <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 5 Dec 2005 22:31:44 -0500, "Dee Randall"
>><[email protected]> connected the dots and wrote:
>>
>>~
>>~"maxine in ri" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>~news:[email protected]... ~> We came upon her
>>liquor stash. Most of it I'm sure is fine, but there ~> were these two
>>bottles of dry white table wine with the year 1979 on ~> the label.
>>~>
>>~> Would this conceiveably be drinkable, or useful for marinades
>>instead ~> of vinegar, or a total waste? They're corked, and don't
>>leak when ~> turned on their sides.
>>~>
>>~> maxine in ri
>>~
>>~I'm far and away from being an expert, but I will say a definite
>>"no." I'm
>>~sure I'll be 100% shot down. It will be interesting to hear the
>>answers. ~Dee Dee
>>
>>Thanks, Dee Dee. Someone is sure to know in this group<g>
>>
>>maxine

You might also post the question to alt.food.wine

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

"Puester" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> maxine in ri wrote:
>> We came upon her liquor stash. Most of it I'm sure is fine, but there
>> were these two bottles of dry white table wine with the year 1979 on
>> the label.
>>
>> Would this conceiveably be drinkable, or useful for marinades instead
>> of vinegar, or a total waste? They're corked, and don't leak when
>> turned on their sides.
>>
>> maxine in ri

> Doubtful. Whites don't age well, especially that long. Ask me how I know
> that.... On second thought, don't. We've thrown away a LOT of white wine in
> our time.
>
> I inherited a bottle of port in 1971 that my dad bought in Portugal years
> earlier, labeled "25 year old" and I'm afraid to open it.
>
> gloria p

Let me dispose of it properly for you - I don't want you to get caught polluting
the environment with Toxins -

Dimitri (protecting Gloria from the EPA)

One time on Usenet, "Dimitri" <[email protected]> said:
> "Puester" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > maxine in ri wrote:

> >> We came upon her liquor stash. Most of it I'm sure is fine, but there
> >> were these two bottles of dry white table wine with the year 1979 on
> >> the label.
> >>
> >> Would this conceiveably be drinkable, or useful for marinades instead
> >> of vinegar, or a total waste? They're corked, and don't leak when
> >> turned on their sides.

> > Doubtful. Whites don't age well, especially that long. Ask me how I know
> > that.... On second thought, don't. We've thrown away a LOT of white wine
> > in our time.
> >
> > I inherited a bottle of port in 1971 that my dad bought in Portugal years
> > earlier, labeled "25 year old" and I'm afraid to open it.

> Let me dispose of it properly for you - I don't want you to get caught
> polluting the environment with Toxins -
>
> Dimitri (protecting Gloria from the EPA)

You put the "fiend" in friend, Dimitri... ;-)

--
Jani in WA (S'mee)
~ mom, Trollop, novice cook ~