While you were all doing ATB or BR(x)...

> http://www.thehippy.net/nucleus/index.php?itemid=121
>
> Now come on you lot.. you can't be THAT tired!
> Hit me with your ATB and BR reports!! Make me
> jealous! Awesome day for any riding - praise Tigger,
> the God of Spring :)
>
> hippy (found 750ml Ice Breaks.. uh oh!)

Orright... Just me, Tony and Dutch out today for the BR17 extended remix.
Went the usual route to the primary school after the rolling climbs of
Warrandyte and then headed straight ahead instead of turning off left
towards Greensborough. Got as far as St. Andrews on a nicely rolling road
and followed a road off left that paralleled a stream (ie. slightly
downhill) back west towards Greensborough. Got back onto the usual BR route
at that roundabout that heads into the long climb up to the second DH
sprint. Didn't do Burgundy street as Tont wanted to keep going up lower
plenty road, which took us to the top of the same hill but over a longer but
not as biting climb. Went around the Boulevard at Kew to look at the course
for the Commonwealths and the Wednesday night crits - what a ***** of a
corner at the bottom of the course! - and back up High street for a nice
sit, coffee and chat at Balwyn.
All up, about 90k at 26 and a half average (flightdeck cuts out stops), and
one of the most enjoyable rides I've had on the road - nice and cruisy; good
company.
If you (not you, hippy, anyone reading) didn't come out for no good reason,
you missed out today.
Cheers

Blah wrote:
> If you (not you, hippy, anyone reading) didn't come out for no good reason,
> you missed out today.
> Cheers

Man I'm feelign ripped off. Spent the day inside sick on the couch.
Haven't been for a ride for over a week with the marathon last week.
Next week I'm there or die trying.

DaveB

"Blah" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:%[email protected]...
> "hippy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> http://www.thehippy.net/nucleus/index.php?itemid=121
>>
>> Now come on you lot.. you can't be THAT tired!
>> Hit me with your ATB and BR reports!! Make me
>> jealous! Awesome day for any riding - praise Tigger,
>> the God of Spring :)
>>
>> hippy (found 750ml Ice Breaks.. uh oh!)

well atb was better than last year (weather wise at least)
i went to sorrento first and found it hard to find a bunch big enough and
going at a speed that suited me.
The docklands starting point was just crapola, there was like 4 sets of
lights within a 1km distance and it was a fair bit of scootering along
unclipped before actually being able to ride..
got to sorrento at 9:15ish..ave speed was 30.4.
had the 10:20 ferry which ended up being about the size of a tug boat so we
ended up waiting till the 11am ferry.
there was no real wind advantage this year, mainly a cross wind up the
geelong freeway.
we had to go a different way thru werribee this time, down thru some new
housing estate then into altona etc
got back at about 5ish..ride time was 7hr 53mins. last years was a 10 hour
ride time and i was hoping to be 2 hours faster so im happy about that

lots of older steel bikes with downtube shifters etc, a tandem recumbent!
(never seen one of those before) and one folding bike +the usual treks,
giants etc

"DaveB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Blah wrote:
> > If you (not you, hippy, anyone reading) didn't come out for no good

reason,
> > you missed out today.
> > Cheers
> >

> Man I'm feelign ripped off. Spent the day inside sick on the couch.
> Haven't been for a ride for over a week with the marathon last week.
> Next week I'm there or die trying.
>
> DaveB

I spent half of the day in the hospital at Heidelburg with my son (has had
temp/vomiting/coughing) and then once I got home with him, I had to turn
right back out there with my daughter for conjunctavitis.

"Why couldn't the wife do it?" I hear all the red blooded males say.... she
was laid up in bed all day with similar symptons to the boy except no
coughing and more vomiting.

Me, I am in fine health apart from a serious case of envy for all of the ATB
riders today......todays weather was just about perfect for a ride....about
19 degrees, little wind, and hardly a cloud in the sky (got a good look at
it all from the hospital waiting room).

c'est la vie

Gags

"Blah" <[email protected]> wrote
> Went around the Boulevard at Kew to look at the course
> for the Commonwealths and the Wednesday night crits - what a ***** of a

Commonwealth Games? What the?!

hippy

"Gags" <gags_44nospamatnospamtpg.com.au> wrote
> I spent half of the day in the hospital at Heidelburg with my son (has had
> temp/vomiting/coughing) and then once I got home with him, I had to turn
> right back out there with my daughter for conjunctavitis.
>
> "Why couldn't the wife do it?" I hear all the red blooded males say....

she
> was laid up in bed all day with similar symptons to the boy except no
> coughing and more vomiting.

Karma will sort you out.. it owes you. Don't be surprised
if a carbon Bianchi falls (very gently whilst well-packed)
into you lap soon.. ;-)

hippy

news:[email protected]
> "Blah" <[email protected]> wrote
>> Went around the Boulevard at Kew to look at the course
>> for the Commonwealths and the Wednesday night crits - what a *****
>> of a

> Commonwealth Games? What the?!

They're less than 18 months away now.

--

A: Top-posters.

hippy said:
Commonwealth Games? What the?!

hippy

My fault! turns out I have given Blah out-of-date info. Kew Boulevard was first proposed as the time trial venue when Melbourne pitched for the 2006 CGs but now apparently they are doing both road races AND TTs at the domain park botanical park venue as used in 1998. bugger! guess that means they may not be resurfacing it after all...

> "Blah" <[email protected]> wrote
>> Went around the Boulevard at Kew to look at the course
>> for the Commonwealths and the Wednesday night crits - what a ***** of a

> Commonwealth Games? What the?!
>
> hippy

Yeah, Dutchy was saying that that they're going to hold the 2006 C-Wealth
time trial at the Yarra Boulevarde at Kew. I ride there on my (infrequent at
the mo') commute, so it'd be pretty cool to know the course well. Mind you,
it'd be a pretty short one - twelve kay out and back, so either a short
course or they have some more road or laps in mind.

news:[email protected]
> http://www.thehippy.net/nucleus/index.php?itemid=121
>
> Now come on you lot.. you can't be THAT tired!
> Hit me with your ATB and BR reports!! Make me
> jealous! Awesome day for any riding - praise Tigger,
> the God of Spring :)

According to the Age there were 8,800 riders today and over half were teams.

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/10/16/1097784097658.html

--

A: Top-posters.

"DRS" <[email protected]> wrote:

> According to the Age there were 8,800 riders today

And at least some of them are saving up to pay $205 fines for running
red lights just outside Geelong, on the way to Queenscliff.

But what a great day for a ride...

--
Shane Stanley

As an ATB novice with minimal training and cycling experience, had a day of ups and downs. Run down to Sorrento was great, then had to wait from 9:30 til 11:00 for a ferry. Geelong freeway not a great road to ride on, ended up getting 2 punctures, and then for the 1st time in my life in my rush managed to bust the valve on my last tube when fixing the 2nd one - not happy. Had to cycle 5ks back to a servo into the wind on a flat tyre. The route after Werribbee was pretty awful along bad roads and down to Altona.
I was amazed at the number of people with ancient squeaky mountain bikes - disappointed not to see any BMXs though
Lessons I learnt
1.Take spare tubes AND a puncture kit
2.Go Queenscliffe first to get the worst bit out of the way
3.Train more
4. Don't run a half marathon the weekend before

I just saw this thread now... already posted before...

We headed down to sorrento first... left around 6.15, got down there at 9, but ferry was booked out. Waited for that 'dinghy' ferry at 10.21 and we were off... the ride from the cliff to geelong was pretty good, we headed a small bunch. We being COMPUTERSHARE riders, so if you saw any people with purple riding gear, it was us. Going through werribee was utter shite, headwinds were bad, roads were bad, drivers yelling at us, oh well. i gave the westgate bridge a decent nudge with the little energy i had left... crossed the line with 6hrs 57mins riding time.
Off to the physio to get me sorted!

Bill

"kyra" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I just saw this thread now... already posted before...
>
> We headed down to sorrento first... left around 6.15, got down there at
> 9, but ferry was booked out. Waited for that 'dinghy' ferry at 10.21 and
> we were off... the ride from the cliff to geelong was pretty good, we
> headed a small bunch. We being COMPUTERSHARE riders, so if you saw any
> people with purple riding gear, it was us. Going through werribee was
> utter shite, headwinds were bad, roads were bad, drivers yelling at us,
> oh well. i gave the westgate bridge a decent nudge with the little
> energy i had left... crossed the line with 6hrs 57mins riding time.
> Off to the physio to get me sorted!
>
> Bill
>

> --
> kyra

ahh i saw the odd computershare person ride past me at a decent speed..
much too fast for me:)
a few of us formed a bunch with some guys from 'black and white
conveyancing'(sp) from sydney..
nice guys and a large enough bunch make it an easier ride up the freeway.
and your right about werribee, the roads & winds sucked and the population
stunk more than the sewerage

hippy said:
http://www.thehippy.net/nucleus/index.php?itemid=121

Now come on you lot.. you can't be THAT tired!
Hit me with your ATB and BR reports!! Make me
jealous! Awesome day for any riding - praise Tigger,
the God of Spring :)

hippy (found 750ml Ice Breaks.. uh oh!)

unfortunately didn't start. having returned from the Kosi to StKilda ride with a crushed median nerve and paralyzed small muscles in my left hand, i decided that a DNS was unfortunately necessary to prolong my long and slow cycling career:-(

Next week I fit the Specialized Bar Phat tape

hippy said:
http://www.thehippy.net/nucleus/index.php?itemid=121

Now come on you lot.. you can't be THAT tired!
Hit me with your ATB and BR reports!! Make me
jealous! Awesome day for any riding - praise Tigger,
the God of Spring :)

hippy (found 750ml Ice Breaks.. uh oh!)
Talk about jealous. I had to drive the Melbourne to Geelong road during the ATB on Sunday (flew in from Perth on Friday night and had to go to Deakin Uni on Sunday). As I reside in Perth, I had not thought much about the ATB being ridden on the roads I would be driving on on the weekend.

Thoughts of bike bags on the plane from Perth kept going through my mind. I mentioned a trip to Melbourne for the 2005 ATB to the controller of the family finances when I got back to Perth, and she did not rule it out (I got back home from the airport at after midnight and she was sound asleep when I got in. I will, however, still run with the argument that I mentioned it and did not get a negative response.)

Now, for the ATB report:

I was on the road around 7:30 to 8:30 on Sunday. Saw lots of teams which was impressive. Lots of the teams were riding in fairly tight bunches which was more impressive. Saw a group of Birdies riding together. Lots of Giants which reflects the proportion of the Australian market they have captured. Saw good numbers of steel frames. Didn't see any recumbents at all.

Saw quite a few repairs being carried out beside the road - probably passed about 20 riders repairing punctures durint he time I was on the road. Didn't see any crashes. Saw a few riders in jeans and T shirts on 'ride to the pub bikes', bless 'em. Most drivers gave the cyclists plenty of room, leaving the left lane free except for 1 or 2 ******** drivers who exerted their rights to drive right beside the cyclists even though there were 2 other available lanes on the other side of the highway.

Finally, I noticed a team in Alinta jerseys and knicks. As this is a WA company, I was wondering if anyone knew if they were a WA team, or if Alinta was sponsoring cyclists outside WA?

Ah, next year I want to be there (I've already started to float the idea of a team from my office flying over to do a ride in a foreign country)

Other than the ATB, I went for a drive in the Dandenongs with the family on Saturday. Saw a couple of cyclists having fun climbing the hills. One younger bloke, one older. A de Rosa and an Olmo. From the way they were carving up the hills they were both real climbers.

SteveA

(took the mudguards off the commuter this morning - Perth is expecting a 29% day and the sky was blue blue blue this morning)