While you were all doing ATB or BR(x)...

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by hippy, Oct 17, 2004.

  1. hippy

    hippy Guest

    http://www.thehippy.net/nucleus/index.php?itemid=121

    Now come on you lot.. you can't be THAT tired!
    Hit me with your ATB and BR reports!! Make me
    jealous! Awesome day for any riding - praise Tigger,
    the God of Spring :)

    hippy (found 750ml Ice Breaks.. uh oh!)

    Tags:

  2. Blah

    Blah Guest

    > http://www.thehippy.net/nucleus/index.php?itemid=121
    >
    > Now come on you lot.. you can't be THAT tired!
    > Hit me with your ATB and BR reports!! Make me
    > jealous! Awesome day for any riding - praise Tigger,
    > the God of Spring :)
    >
    > hippy (found 750ml Ice Breaks.. uh oh!)

    Orright... Just me, Tony and Dutch out today for the BR17 extended remix.
    Went the usual route to the primary school after the rolling climbs of
    Warrandyte and then headed straight ahead instead of turning off left
    towards Greensborough. Got as far as St. Andrews on a nicely rolling road
    and followed a road off left that paralleled a stream (ie. slightly
    downhill) back west towards Greensborough. Got back onto the usual BR route
    at that roundabout that heads into the long climb up to the second DH
    sprint. Didn't do Burgundy street as Tont wanted to keep going up lower
    plenty road, which took us to the top of the same hill but over a longer but
    not as biting climb. Went around the Boulevard at Kew to look at the course
    for the Commonwealths and the Wednesday night crits - what a bitch of a
    corner at the bottom of the course! - and back up High street for a nice
    sit, coffee and chat at Balwyn.
    All up, about 90k at 26 and a half average (flightdeck cuts out stops), and
    one of the most enjoyable rides I've had on the road - nice and cruisy; good
    company.
    If you (not you, hippy, anyone reading) didn't come out for no good reason,
    you missed out today.
    Cheers

  3. DaveB

    DaveB Guest

    Blah wrote:
    > If you (not you, hippy, anyone reading) didn't come out for no good reason,
    > you missed out today.
    > Cheers

    Man I'm feelign ripped off. Spent the day inside sick on the couch.
    Haven't been for a ride for over a week with the marathon last week.
    Next week I'm there or die trying.

    DaveB

  4. Dej

    Dej Guest

    "Blah" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:%[email protected]
    > "hippy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> http://www.thehippy.net/nucleus/index.php?itemid=121
    >>
    >> Now come on you lot.. you can't be THAT tired!
    >> Hit me with your ATB and BR reports!! Make me
    >> jealous! Awesome day for any riding - praise Tigger,
    >> the God of Spring :)
    >>
    >> hippy (found 750ml Ice Breaks.. uh oh!)

    well atb was better than last year (weather wise at least)
    i went to sorrento first and found it hard to find a bunch big enough and
    going at a speed that suited me.
    The docklands starting point was just crapola, there was like 4 sets of
    lights within a 1km distance and it was a fair bit of scootering along
    unclipped before actually being able to ride..
    got to sorrento at 9:15ish..ave speed was 30.4.
    had the 10:20 ferry which ended up being about the size of a tug boat so we
    ended up waiting till the 11am ferry.
    there was no real wind advantage this year, mainly a cross wind up the
    geelong freeway.
    we had to go a different way thru werribee this time, down thru some new
    housing estate then into altona etc
    got back at about 5ish..ride time was 7hr 53mins. last years was a 10 hour
    ride time and i was hoping to be 2 hours faster so im happy about that

    lots of older steel bikes with downtube shifters etc, a tandem recumbent!
    (never seen one of those before) and one folding bike +the usual treks,
    giants etc

  5. Gags

    Gags Guest

    "DaveB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Blah wrote:
    > > If you (not you, hippy, anyone reading) didn't come out for no good

    reason,
    > > you missed out today.
    > > Cheers
    > >

    > Man I'm feelign ripped off. Spent the day inside sick on the couch.
    > Haven't been for a ride for over a week with the marathon last week.
    > Next week I'm there or die trying.
    >
    > DaveB

    I spent half of the day in the hospital at Heidelburg with my son (has had
    temp/vomiting/coughing) and then once I got home with him, I had to turn
    right back out there with my daughter for conjunctavitis.

    "Why couldn't the wife do it?" I hear all the red blooded males say.... she
    was laid up in bed all day with similar symptons to the boy except no
    coughing and more vomiting.

    Me, I am in fine health apart from a serious case of envy for all of the ATB
    riders today......todays weather was just about perfect for a ride....about
    19 degrees, little wind, and hardly a cloud in the sky (got a good look at
    it all from the hospital waiting room).

    c'est la vie

    Gags

  6. hippy

    hippy Guest

    "Blah" <[email protected]> wrote
    > Went around the Boulevard at Kew to look at the course
    > for the Commonwealths and the Wednesday night crits - what a bitch of a

    Commonwealth Games? What the?!

    hippy

  7. hippy

    hippy Guest

    "Gags" <gags_44nospamatnospamtpg.com.au> wrote
    > I spent half of the day in the hospital at Heidelburg with my son (has had
    > temp/vomiting/coughing) and then once I got home with him, I had to turn
    > right back out there with my daughter for conjunctavitis.
    >
    > "Why couldn't the wife do it?" I hear all the red blooded males say....

    she
    > was laid up in bed all day with similar symptons to the boy except no
    > coughing and more vomiting.

    Karma will sort you out.. it owes you. Don't be surprised
    if a carbon Bianchi falls (very gently whilst well-packed)
    into you lap soon.. ;-)

    hippy

  8. DRS

    DRS Guest

    > "Blah" <[email protected]> wrote
    >> Went around the Boulevard at Kew to look at the course
    >> for the Commonwealths and the Wednesday night crits - what a bitch
    >> of a

    > Commonwealth Games? What the?!

    They're less than 18 months away now.

    --

    A: Top-posters.

  9. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    My fault! turns out I have given Blah out-of-date info. Kew Boulevard was first proposed as the time trial venue when Melbourne pitched for the 2006 CGs but now apparently they are doing both road races AND TTs at the domain park botanical park venue as used in 1998. bugger! guess that means they may not be resurfacing it after all...

  10. Blah

    Blah Guest

    > "Blah" <[email protected]> wrote
    >> Went around the Boulevard at Kew to look at the course
    >> for the Commonwealths and the Wednesday night crits - what a bitch of a

    > Commonwealth Games? What the?!
    >
    > hippy

    Yeah, Dutchy was saying that that they're going to hold the 2006 C-Wealth
    time trial at the Yarra Boulevarde at Kew. I ride there on my (infrequent at
    the mo') commute, so it'd be pretty cool to know the course well. Mind you,
    it'd be a pretty short one - twelve kay out and back, so either a short
    course or they have some more road or laps in mind.

  11. DRS

    DRS Guest

    > http://www.thehippy.net/nucleus/index.php?itemid=121
    >
    > Now come on you lot.. you can't be THAT tired!
    > Hit me with your ATB and BR reports!! Make me
    > jealous! Awesome day for any riding - praise Tigger,
    > the God of Spring :)

    According to the Age there were 8,800 riders today and over half were teams.

    http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/10/16/1097784097658.html

    --

    A: Top-posters.

  12. In article <[email protected]>,
    "DRS" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > According to the Age there were 8,800 riders today

    And at least some of them are saving up to pay $205 fines for running
    red lights just outside Geelong, on the way to Queenscliff.

    But what a great day for a ride...

    --
    Shane Stanley

  13. tortoise

    tortoise New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2004
    As an ATB novice with minimal training and cycling experience, had a day of ups and downs. Run down to Sorrento was great, then had to wait from 9:30 til 11:00 for a ferry. Geelong freeway not a great road to ride on, ended up getting 2 punctures, and then for the 1st time in my life in my rush managed to bust the valve on my last tube when fixing the 2nd one - not happy. Had to cycle 5ks back to a servo into the wind on a flat tyre. The route after Werribbee was pretty awful along bad roads and down to Altona.
    I was amazed at the number of people with ancient squeaky mountain bikes - disappointed not to see any BMXs though
    Lessons I learnt
    1.Take spare tubes AND a puncture kit
    2.Go Queenscliffe first to get the worst bit out of the way
    3.Train more
    4. Don't run a half marathon the weekend before

  14. kyra

    kyra New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2003
    I just saw this thread now... already posted before...

    We headed down to sorrento first... left around 6.15, got down there at 9, but ferry was booked out. Waited for that 'dinghy' ferry at 10.21 and we were off... the ride from the cliff to geelong was pretty good, we headed a small bunch. We being COMPUTERSHARE riders, so if you saw any people with purple riding gear, it was us. Going through werribee was utter shite, headwinds were bad, roads were bad, drivers yelling at us, oh well. i gave the westgate bridge a decent nudge with the little energy i had left... crossed the line with 6hrs 57mins riding time.
    Off to the physio to get me sorted!

    Bill

  15. Dej

    Dej Guest

    "kyra" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > I just saw this thread now... already posted before...
    >
    > We headed down to sorrento first... left around 6.15, got down there at
    > 9, but ferry was booked out. Waited for that 'dinghy' ferry at 10.21 and
    > we were off... the ride from the cliff to geelong was pretty good, we
    > headed a small bunch. We being COMPUTERSHARE riders, so if you saw any
    > people with purple riding gear, it was us. Going through werribee was
    > utter shite, headwinds were bad, roads were bad, drivers yelling at us,
    > oh well. i gave the westgate bridge a decent nudge with the little
    > energy i had left... crossed the line with 6hrs 57mins riding time.
    > Off to the physio to get me sorted!
    >
    > Bill
    >

    > --
    > kyra

    ahh i saw the odd computershare person ride past me at a decent speed..
    much too fast for me:)
    a few of us formed a bunch with some guys from 'black and white
    conveyancing'(sp) from sydney..
    nice guys and a large enough bunch make it an easier ride up the freeway.
    and your right about werribee, the roads & winds sucked and the population
    stunk more than the sewerage

  16. PiledHigher

    PiledHigher New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2003
    No you are supposed to do a marathon!

  17. tortoise

    tortoise New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2004
    But I did that last year......

  18. PiledHigher

    PiledHigher New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2003

    Then stop being soft and do the Melbourne to warrnambool and melbourne marathon double.

  19. ProfTournesol

    ProfTournesol New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2003
    unfortunately didn't start. having returned from the Kosi to StKilda ride with a crushed median nerve and paralyzed small muscles in my left hand, i decided that a DNS was unfortunately necessary to prolong my long and slow cycling career:-(

    Next week I fit the Specialized Bar Phat tape

  20. SteveA

    SteveA New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2004
    Messages:
    1,309
    Talk about jealous. I had to drive the Melbourne to Geelong road during the ATB on Sunday (flew in from Perth on Friday night and had to go to Deakin Uni on Sunday). As I reside in Perth, I had not thought much about the ATB being ridden on the roads I would be driving on on the weekend.

    Thoughts of bike bags on the plane from Perth kept going through my mind. I mentioned a trip to Melbourne for the 2005 ATB to the controller of the family finances when I got back to Perth, and she did not rule it out (I got back home from the airport at after midnight and she was sound asleep when I got in. I will, however, still run with the argument that I mentioned it and did not get a negative response.)

    Now, for the ATB report:

    I was on the road around 7:30 to 8:30 on Sunday. Saw lots of teams which was impressive. Lots of the teams were riding in fairly tight bunches which was more impressive. Saw a group of Birdies riding together. Lots of Giants which reflects the proportion of the Australian market they have captured. Saw good numbers of steel frames. Didn't see any recumbents at all.

    Saw quite a few repairs being carried out beside the road - probably passed about 20 riders repairing punctures durint he time I was on the road. Didn't see any crashes. Saw a few riders in jeans and T shirts on 'ride to the pub bikes', bless 'em. Most drivers gave the cyclists plenty of room, leaving the left lane free except for 1 or 2 dickhead drivers who exerted their rights to drive right beside the cyclists even though there were 2 other available lanes on the other side of the highway.

    Finally, I noticed a team in Alinta jerseys and knicks. As this is a WA company, I was wondering if anyone knew if they were a WA team, or if Alinta was sponsoring cyclists outside WA?

    Ah, next year I want to be there (I've already started to float the idea of a team from my office flying over to do a ride in a foreign country)

    Other than the ATB, I went for a drive in the Dandenongs with the family on Saturday. Saw a couple of cyclists having fun climbing the hills. One younger bloke, one older. A de Rosa and an Olmo. From the way they were carving up the hills they were both real climbers.

    SteveA

    (took the mudguards off the commuter this morning - Perth is expecting a 29% day and the sky was blue blue blue this morning)