While you're waiting for the July Warrington "facility of the month"

Mike Causer said the following on 29/06/2006 21:14:
> The "Weird Cycle Lanes of Brighton" has been updated recently:
> http://www.weirdcyclelanes.co.uk/
>
> (I have no cennection with either site but check them regularly, not
> knowing whether to laugh or cry.)

You have to wonder what the people that come up with some of these must
be thinking. Are they thinking? Just imagine all the costly processes
that must be involved to get these things actually laid down, for
bugger-all benefit.

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

David Nutter said the following on 30/06/2006 13:53:

> http://hemswell.lincoln.ac.uk/~dnutter/xfer/100_0228.jpg

> -david cannot ride through trees

Even allowing for your unfortunate impairment that means you can't ride
through trees, what on earth is the point of that? It appears to take
you off the road, then straight back on again so you cross the traffic
as if you were a ped. What's wrong with just going around the
roundabout normally?

The trouble will come when you get some idiot in a car who thinks that
it is compulsory for bikes to use that facility, despite it being more
dangerous than using the correct route.

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

"Paul Boyd" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Mike Causer said the following on 29/06/2006 21:14:
>> The "Weird Cycle Lanes of Brighton" has been updated recently:
>> http://www.weirdcyclelanes.co.uk/
>>
>> (I have no cennection with either site but check them regularly, not
>> knowing whether to laugh or cry.)

> You have to wonder what the people that come up with some of these must be
> thinking. Are they thinking? Just imagine all the costly processes that
> must be involved to get these things actually laid down, for bugger-all
> benefit.

You see... that's where you are going wrong. There is a benefit to these
farcilities... they enable the local authorities to tick the box that says
"cycle facilitiy provided"

It matters naught that the farcilities are of no practical use to cyclists
and in too many cases, are positively dangerous to cyclists... as long as
the local authority can tick that box... :-(

Chers, helen s

On 2006-06-30, Paul Boyd <[email protected]> wrote:
> David Nutter said the following on 30/06/2006 13:53:
>
>> http://hemswell.lincoln.ac.uk/~dnutter/xfer/100_0228.jpg

>> -david cannot ride through trees

> Even allowing for your unfortunate impairment that means you can't ride
> through trees, what on earth is the point of that? It appears to take
> you off the road, then straight back on again so you cross the traffic
> as if you were a ped. What's wrong with just going around the
> roundabout normally?

I do go round the roundabout normally, as does almost everyone else. I have
pointed the idiocy of this arrangement to the council, but they still labour
under the delusion that they're providing a "safe" route for cyclists by
painting the gutter and pavements. I despair...

Some stuff about it here:

http://hemswell.lincoln.ac.uk/~dnutter/project/blosxom.cgi/cycling/

I've yet to send a followup to the council's reply. I will get round to it
soon though.

> The trouble will come when you get some idiot in a car who thinks that
> it is compulsory for bikes to use that facility, despite it being more
> dangerous than using the correct route.

That already happens unfortunately, though not on that particular bit of the
route as yet. My commute takes me straight on over the roundabout (not using
the farcility) and onto another stretch of road (Longdales Road) complete
with a narrow, part-time and obstructed farcility. That's where I get the
grief.

Regards,

--
David Nutter <[email protected]> Research Assistant
MHAC MC3102, Brayford Pool Campus

in message <[email protected]>, David
Nutter ('[email protected]') wrote:

> On 2006-06-29, Mike Causer <[email protected]> wrote:
>> The "Weird Cycle Lanes of Brighton" has been updated recently:
>> http://www.weirdcyclelanes.co.uk/

> Ye gods! They're terrible!
>
> I submitted this to FotM recently:
>
> http://hemswell.lincoln.ac.uk/~dnutter/xfer/100_0228.jpg

Which idiot planted that tree in the middle of a bike path?

> in message <[email protected]>, David
> Nutter ('[email protected]') wrote:
>
>> On 2006-06-29, Mike Causer <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> The "Weird Cycle Lanes of Brighton" has been updated recently:
>>> http://www.weirdcyclelanes.co.uk/

>> Ye gods! They're terrible!
>>
>> I submitted this to FotM recently:
>>
>> http://hemswell.lincoln.ac.uk/~dnutter/xfer/100_0228.jpg

> Which idiot planted that tree in the middle of a bike path?

Ecological, that is. Carbon offsetting for the carbon emissions resulting
from building the farcility, wot with all that tarmac ;-)

Cheers, helen s