Whiner Basso

sappie66

Oct 11, 2008
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/basso-seeking-explanation-for-italian-ban-on-former-dopers

Take your medicine Ivan. And no, I don't think anyone believes you when you say you "attempted to dope" with Fuentes. Yeah, you felt the need to dope after winning the 2006 Giro by over 9 minutes! haha

Yes, old news, but bears repeating when Basso does the entitlement routine (IMO).

Take away the doping allegations and I find Basso to be modest, humble and unassuming. It's the arrogant cheats that I can't take.

Originally Posted by jhuskey .

Take away the doping allegations and I find Basso to be modest, humble and unassuming. It's the arrogant cheats that I can't take.
sigh...Yeah, those cheaters and frauds that smile in your face (ala Lance Armstrong) are so much more palatable than those Barry Bonds types of cheaters. 'Cult of Personality' epitomized.

Basso's a clown, as Lim stated. Even bigger clowns are those in the sanctioning body that allowed him to plead to "attempting to dope". Sheeesh!/img/vbsmilies/smilies/rolleyes.gif

I didn't say he was not a cheat just that he seems to be a likable person. I have also heard this form those that know him. There are also people that don't cheat that I can't stand. Go figure.

You said "doping allegations". That implies what?

LOL! A "likable" cheater? Really? Oxymoron.
If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything...

A couple more instances I recently came across where the authorities let cheaters slip right through their fingers, presumably because they were smiling and friendly types - well, maybe not so much in Longo's case...

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/afld-closes-longo-case-with-no-action

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/kloden-german-prosecutors-agree-to-end-investigation

Allegations imlpies that I am not the judge and have only small bits of information about this. I have only a limited amount of intense hate that I reserve for murderers and child molesters.
Just don't have the time to hate everyone that screws up.

Gotcha. And OJ "allegedly" killed his wife and her late night guest. I'm not the judge and have limited information. As such, I'll never be in a position to decide or have an opinion one way or the other. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/cool.gif

Basso's a clown. Clowns are amusing. Clowns are funny. And clowns dress up in costumes that include funny hats, funny clothing, and funny shoes - describes Basso perfectly me thinks! LOL!

Intense hate for Basso and other cheaters? Strawman. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif

Originally Posted by swampy1970 .

Why do you think that Lim?
Why?

Because as a convicted doper, he has no rights to demand anything of his country's federation given the fact that he was found to have doped.

Maybe stuff gets lost in translation but he strikes me as a disingenuous character.
Basso claimed that he didn't dope, rather that he attempted to dope - when he was busted as part of operation puerto.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/editions/cycling-news-flash-for-may-8-2007

Originally Posted by limerickman .

Why?

Because as a convicted doper, he has no rights to demand anything of his country's federation given the fact that he was found to have doped.

Maybe stuff gets lost in translation but he strikes me as a disingenuous character.
Basso claimed that he didn't dope, rather that he attempted to dope - when he was busted as part of operation puerto.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/editions/cycling-news-flash-for-may-8-2007

I think some of the stuff is lost in translation. One can reasonably assume that he doped given the evidence presented - well, at least the evidence that's been shown in the press. I don't doubt that it'd likely be possible to retest samples from 06 for autologous blood doping. I'm sure if there was a need to do that for his 'defense' he would have gone that route...

I don't think that the big picture is that he has a right to demand anything of his country's federation but rather does a National cycling squad have to follow rules given by the UCI and IOC?

I think some of the stuff is lost in translation. One can reasonably assume that he doped given the evidence presented - well, at least the evidence that's been shown in the press. I don't doubt that it'd likely be possible to retest samples from 06 for autologous blood doping. I'm sure if there was a need to do that for his 'defense' he would have gone that route...

I don't think that the big picture is that he has a right to demand anything of his country's federation but rather does a National cycling squad have to follow rules given by the UCI and IOC?
Unfortunately for Basso it is his federation who decides who gets to represent his country.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/uci-appeals-kolobnev-case-to-cas

Another smiling cheater that got a proverbial 'slap on the wrist' from his nation's federation after being busted for his cheating ways. Quite possibly I'm the misguided one here - maybe cheaters can be likable and rightfully deserve their lesser punishments. Gotta wonder how many Facebook 'likes' Kolobnev has received during his cycling career - probably a ton.../img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif

Originally Posted by tonyzackery .

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/uci-appeals-kolobnev-case-to-cas

Another smiling cheater that got a proverbial 'slap on the wrist' from his nation's federation after being busted for his cheating ways. Quite possibly I'm the misguided one here - maybe cheaters can be likable and rightfully deserve their lesser punishments. Gotta wonder how many Facebook 'likes' Kolobnev has received during his cycling career - probably a ton.../img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif

veritable rogues gallery in this thread/img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

Unfortunately for Basso it is his federation who decides who gets to represent his country.
True... Then again, Benatti got caught with enough Betamethasone (a corticosteroid) to trigger a positive...

I remember when a certain American was suspected of having an amount of corticosteroid that wasn't enough to trigger a positive, the world went bat-**** crazy.

Consistency - something our sport lacks and having National Federations decide their own rules just adds more of a stench to the sesspit.

It'll be interesting to see if the IOC takes this issue further with the British Olympic Committee in particular given that next years games are in London.

True... Then again, Benatti got caught with enough Betamethasone (a corticosteroid) to trigger a positive...

I remember when a certain American was suspected of having an amount of corticosteroid that wasn't enough to trigger a positive, the world went bat-**** crazy.

Consistency - something our sport lacks and having National Federations decide their own rules just adds more of a stench to the sesspit.

It'll be interesting to see if the IOC takes this issue further with the British Olympic Committee in particular given that next years games are in London.
I don't know what point that you're attempting to make here.

National federation have always had a degree of autonomy. This is why the doping issue has been flouted in certain jurisdictions compared to other jurisdictions, and therefore cyclists began relocating to those jurisdictions in which more autonomy was exercised.

I seem to recall your having a go at WADA because it wanted to bring in uniform trans national processes and procedures too.
Confused.

I don't know what point that you're attempting to make here.

National federation have always had a degree of autonomy. This is why the doping issue has been flouted in certain jurisdictions compared to other jurisdictions, and therefore cyclists began relocating to those jurisdictions in which more autonomy was exercised.

I seem to recall your having a go at WADA because it wanted to bring in uniform trans national processes and procedures too.
Confused.

IIRC, I had a go at WADA for not going far enough.

I could have a fair ol' rant at CAS too. If you have an extenuating circumstance of some description that's caused a faux-pas test result, e.g. you had a theraputic use exemption but WADA lost their paperwork and nailed you with a positive then you have what you need but cases shouldn't drag on for months or even years. Riders play the system and do so in an attempt to finally find an "out."

I also find it disagreable that the same set of standards are not used for testing world wide. Using the Contador case as an example, if his sample had been tested at nearly any other lab on the planet, the current debacle wouldn't be in progress as very very few WADA accredited labs can test to that level. I find the blind rule that the rider is responsible for what they eat verging on the rediculous. It's known that animals are treated with stimulants and steroids even though they're not supposed to be. It's known that some manufacturers have added substances to the mix that weren't on the ingredient list - there was a case a few years ago of a US cyclist that despite proving in court that this was the case he didn't get his ban removed - he ate it after all... I wonder how many years before some "plant growth regulators" are also found to enhance human performance and chowing down on salad starts triggering positives... ;)

IIRC, I had a go at WADA for not going far enough.

I could have a fair ol' rant at CAS too. If you have an extenuating circumstance of some description that's caused a faux-pas test result, e.g. you had a theraputic use exemption but WADA lost their paperwork and nailed you with a positive then you have what you need but cases shouldn't drag on for months or even years. Riders play the system and do so in an attempt to finally find an "out."

I also find it disagreable that the same set of standards are not used for testing world wide. Using the Contador case as an example, if his sample had been tested at nearly any other lab on the planet, the current debacle wouldn't be in progress as very very few WADA accredited labs can test to that level. I find the blind rule that the rider is responsible for what they eat verging on the rediculous. It's known that animals are treated with stimulants and steroids even though they're not supposed to be. It's known that some manufacturers have added substances to the mix that weren't on the ingredient list - there was a case a few years ago of a US cyclist that despite proving in court that this was the case he didn't get his ban removed - he ate it after all... I wonder how many years before some "plant growth regulators" are also found to enhance human performance and chowing down on salad starts triggering positives... ;)
I'm told that US farm livestock are feed foodstuffs full of chemicals. Do they not have organic meat over there, swampy?
I bet they have plenty of organic meat back in Lancashire because we have it over here. From the platter to the plate the entire traceability of meat can be done. My wife's people are farmers and their cattle do not get any additives. Of course the punter will pay more in order to eat organically produced meat but there you go/