Whistling Sound!!!!

Tekbuf

Guest
Starting last week I started hearing a whistling sound during the return portion of my rides. Could
not figure it out to save my behind. Only recently did I localize the issue as being in the front
wheel area. I thought it was a hub issue. Drove me nuts as it seemed to occur after I had ridden for
some time. Well, the front fork has a center hole at the top of the fork that was open to
accommodate a different brake style. The reason the noise was during my return rides is because of a
head wind. This wind was from the North. My winds are usually from the West. I went to Ace hardware
and bought a tiny plug for 25 cents. Problem solved.

I wonder if that's a common problem? If so, your solution would be a good addition to my
"MacGyverisms" column ;-3)

[email protected] (TekBuf) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Starting last week I started hearing a whistling sound during the return portion of my rides.
> Could not figure it out to save my behind. Only recently did I localize the issue as being in the
> front wheel area. I thought it was a hub issue. Drove me nuts as it seemed to occur after I had
> ridden for some time. Well, the front fork has a center hole at the top of the fork that was open
> to accommodate a different brake style. The reason the noise was during my return rides is because
> of a head wind. This wind was from the North. My winds are usually from the West. I went to Ace
> hardware and bought a tiny plug for 25 cents. Problem solved.

Problem not solved!! The noise came back a few days later. Again, bugging the hell out of me. I had
enough and took it to my LBS for the 3rd time and in no uncertain terms said "fix it or else". Well
we found it, on the Bontrager rear wheel, there is a rubber "boot" on the left side. Well into the
ride the metal would expand just enough to rub against the boot. The boot looks solid but if you
reach down and touch it you will find it very flexible. We dropped a little lube on it and now I am
a happy camper. Problem solved, for real this time.

Of course, now that you've posted this...... :-3)