White Industries Eccentric SS Hub

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bloocow

Hey all,

I've found only a couple of mentions here about this hub on google. It seems like the best way to go
if I want to solve problems of tensioning and lousy seals on Shimano freewheel bearings. My worry
now is how well this hub works so if anyone has any comments/experience with it, I'm listening.

bloocow - reading actually.

"bloocow" <[email protected]> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:[email protected]...
> Hey all,
>
> I've found only a couple of mentions here about this hub on google. It
seems
> like the best way to go if I want to solve problems of tensioning and
lousy
> seals on Shimano freewheel bearings. My worry now is how well this hub
works
> so if anyone has any comments/experience with it, I'm listening.
>

I first heard it mentioned by Sheldon Brown. It is new; as in just available and it is also a
flip flop (one side fixed and the other side takes a freewheel) hub, so it is not surprising that
there are no reviews at mtbr.com for it. It sounds intersting, but at $200 I do not want to be
the gunea pig.

-Dave

"bloocow" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Hey all,
>
> I've found only a couple of mentions here about this hub on google. It seems like the best way to
> go if I want to solve problems of tensioning and lousy seals on Shimano freewheel bearings. My
> worry now is how well this hub works so if anyone has any comments/experience with it, I'm
> listening.
>
> bloocow - reading actually.

My SS mechanic guru says it works great, but has to wonder if it's worth the cost. In his NSHO,
there are cheaper ways to get there from here.

Paladin

"Paladin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> "bloocow" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > Hey all,
> >
> > I've found only a couple of mentions here about this hub on google. It
seems
> > like the best way to go if I want to solve problems of tensioning and
lousy
> > seals on Shimano freewheel bearings. My worry now is how well this hub
works
> > so if anyone has any comments/experience with it, I'm listening.
> >
> > bloocow - reading actually.
>
> My SS mechanic guru says it works great, but has to wonder if it's worth the cost. In his NSHO,
> there are cheaper ways to get there from here.
>
> Paladin

Aside from getting horizontal dropouts welded on, or buying a SS specific frame, I can't think of
any easy way to stop using my chain tensioner. Well at this point I probably won't get it because I
don't think I'll like the fixed gear side.

bloocow

"Dave Stocker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> "bloocow" <[email protected]> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> news:[email protected]...
> > Hey all,
> >
> > I've found only a couple of mentions here about this hub on google. It
> seems
> > like the best way to go if I want to solve problems of tensioning and
> lousy
> > seals on Shimano freewheel bearings. My worry now is how well this hub
> works
> > so if anyone has any comments/experience with it, I'm listening.
> >
>
> I first heard it mentioned by Sheldon Brown. It is new; as in just available and it is also a flip
> flop (one side fixed and the other side takes a freewheel) hub, so it is not surprising that there
> are no reviews
at
> mtbr.com for it. It sounds intersting, but at $200 I do not want to be
the
> gunea pig.
>
> -Dave
>

Yes it is expensive. :-\ I just found out one side is fixed, something I don't want so I'm not sure
if I'll go for it but I really do want to remove my tensioner.

bloocow

>>>I've found only a couple of mentions here about this hub on google. It
>>seems like the best way to go if I want to solve problems of tensioning and lousy seals on Shimano
>>freewheel bearings. My worry now is how well this hub works
>>
>>>so if anyone has any comments/experience with it, I'm listening.

It works great! I love mine.

>>I first heard it mentioned by Sheldon Brown. It is new; as in just available and it is also a flip
>>flop (one side fixed and the other side takes a freewheel) hub, so it is not surprising that there
>>are no reviews
>
> at
>
>>mtbr.com for it. It sounds intersting, but at $200 I do not want to be

It's only $159.95, and if you subtract the $50 cost of a decent chain tensioner, it becomes quite
reasonable.

> Yes it is expensive. :-\ I just found out one side is fixed, something I don't want so I'm not
> sure if I'll go for it but I really do want to remove my tensioner.

The fixed option is purely positive. If you don't want to use the fixed gear, just take off the
lockring and screw a freewheel on the fixed side instead. There's no obstacle at all to using this
with two freewheels.

There's no downside to the fixed gear threading, and who knows, sometime you might decide you want
to take the bike onroad, and discover how much more fun a fixed gear is.

Before the invention of this hub, kludgy half-derailer chain tensioners made a sort of sense, but
the ENO hub is a way better solution to the vertical dropout problem. Now that there's a choice,
pulley-type chain tensioners are really mono-buttocked.

See: http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/white-hubs.html

Sheldon "Eccentric" Brown +----------------------------------------------+
| Music expresses that which cannot be said | and on which it is impossible to be silent. |
| --Victor Hugo |
+----------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone
617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041 http://harriscyclery.com Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
http://captainbike.com http://sheldonbrown.com

"Sheldon Brown" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >>>I've found only a couple of mentions here about this hub on google. It
> >>seems like the best way to go if I want to solve problems of tensioning
> >>and lousy seals on Shimano freewheel bearings. My worry now is how well
> >>this hub works
> >>
> >>>so if anyone has any comments/experience with it, I'm listening.
>
> It works great! I love mine.
>
> >>I first heard it mentioned by Sheldon Brown. It is new; as in just available and it is also a
> >>flip flop (one side fixed and the other side takes a freewheel) hub, so it is not surprising
> >>that there are no
reviews
> >
> > at
> >
> >>mtbr.com for it. It sounds intersting, but at $200 I do not want to be
>
> It's only $159.95, and if you subtract the $50 cost of a decent chain tensioner, it becomes quite
> reasonable.
>
> > Yes it is expensive. :-\ I just found out one side is fixed, something
I
> > don't want so I'm not sure if I'll go for it but I really do want to
remove
> > my tensioner.
>
> The fixed option is purely positive. If you don't want to use the fixed gear, just take off the
> lockring and screw a freewheel on the fixed side instead. There's no obstacle at all to using this
> with two freewheels.
>
> There's no downside to the fixed gear threading, and who knows, sometime you might decide you want
> to take the bike onroad, and discover how much more fun a fixed gear is.
>
> Before the invention of this hub, kludgy half-derailer chain tensioners made a sort of sense, but
> the ENO hub is a way better solution to the vertical dropout problem. Now that there's a choice,
> pulley-type chain tensioners are really mono-buttocked.
>

Wow, although I was semi glad at the thought that I might be saving $ by not replacing my Surly flip
flop, I'm actually really glad that the ENO flip flop can hold 2 freewheels! I'll probably try the
fixed for a while but am not sure how I'll find it. Closest I've tried was one of those backward
pedal brake type of bikes; at least thats my idea of what a fixed would sort of feel.

Flip flops are really good for me cus I usually ride to the trails here in microscopic Singapore,
and most of my friends are on gears so I have to keep up on the road, and yet be able to make it
off-road as well. But I guess it would be more tedious to do a gear change with the ENO compared to
my current setup. Hope I can get it next month or so. Thanks for the clarification!

bloocow

"bloocow" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> Flip flops are really good for me cus I usually ride to the trails here in microscopic Singapore,
> and most of my friends are on gears so I have to
keep
> up on the road, and yet be able to make it off-road as well. But I guess
it
> would be more tedious to do a gear change with the ENO compared to my current setup. Hope I can
> get it next month or so. Thanks for the clarification!
>
> bloocow
>

It just occured to me that I won't be able to swap freewheel sizes (for road and trail) the way I
can with my Surly flip flop + singleator because there'll be no tensioner on the ENO. I dunno if
I can handle going slow on road. I guess the traffic's just going to have to be more patient when
I ride now.

bloocow - still stuck in a dual-speeder's mindset

Status
Not open for further replies.