Thinking of headed in that direction.
Any thoughts?

Thanks

BikeyGuy said:
Anyone riding on the W.I. H2's ?
Thinking of headed in that direction.
Any thoughts?

Thanks

I've got a set of wheels built with H1s. They're exceptional hubs. You won't be disappointed at all.

alienator said:
I've got a set of wheels built with H1s. They're exceptional hubs. You won't be disappointed at all.
If one wants to build a custom Zipp 404 Clydesdale wheelset with Sapim spokes, but looking for exceptional hubs to build with, what difference would there be between the White Industries H2s or DT Swiss 240s?

Which of the two hubs would you recommend, and why?

The wheelset is to be used exclusively for fitness rides on a regular basis. I weigh 220Ibs, but I am very light and gentle on my wheels.

Or should I just use Zipp hubs? I am interested in strength, reliability, ease of maintenance and fun (rollability of hubs).

Thanks,

Super

One of the Aussies one here has some

http://www.cyclingforums.com/member.php?userid=83479

Mmmmm, shiny, the way hubs are meant to be. :p

IMG_0328.jpg

SUPER RIDER said:
If one wants to build a custom Zipp 404 Clydesdale wheelset with Sapim spokes, but looking for an exceptional hubs to build with, what difference would there be between the White Industries H2s or DT Swiss 240s?

Which of the two hubs would you recommend, and why?

The wheelset is to be used exclusively for fitness rides on a regular basis. I weigh 220Ibs, but I am very light and gentle on my wheels.

Or should I just use Zipp hubs? I am interested in strength, reliability, ease of maintenance and fun (rollability of hubs).

Thanks,

Super

I wouldn't use Zipp hubs. While they've improved, they're still not all that hot. I've used both White hubs and DT. The difference? Not much. On the front, the DT has wider space flanges in the front and slightly taller flanges, so it can potentially build a wee bit stronger front wheel. In the back, the WI hubs have better flange spacing and slightly taller flanges, so the White hubs will build potentially stronger wheels. Overall, on flange spacing and flange height, I give the nod to WI since I think a stronger rear wheel, given the loads it sees compared to the front, is more important. The difference, though, between the two brands on this issue aren't huge.

I think the WI hubs look a lot better. They come hand polished--or black ano'd if you like--while the DTs come with ugly decals.

I think the WI hubs are much easier to service. Weight is a wash. If you put ceramic bearings in WI H2 hubs, they'll still be about the same as DTs 190 hubs.

To my ears, the two brands make about the same noise, with the only real difference being in pitch. On the road performance is a complete wash. Anyone that says otherwise is selling something.

The one thing I don't like about DT hubs is that they work with Bontrager on their hubs. DT internals are in a lot of Bontragers. I don't know, however, if DT is the partner that makes the Bontrager hub shells. If so, DT should be ashamed of themselves. I had a Bontrager rear hub flange--DS--fail, so I'm no fan of Bontrager's--or anyone's for that matter--paired spoke ideas. The design falls under the "stupidly bad engineering" category. Again, I don't know if DT made the shell or not. Even if they didn't design it but did manufacture it, they do bear responsibility.

All in all, it comes down to personal preference.

You might ask some wheel builders what they think. Troy Watson, Eric Gottesman, Ron Ruff, and the guys at Wheelbuilder are just a few of the people who are or who have built with both brands.

There is something sorta art-deco about that thing. I love it!

Bring back polished parts!