White Peak Way - need B&B recommendations

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by paddy spencer, Feb 8, 2005.

  1. Hi all,

    Well, we decided en famille to do the WPW this year and, through much
    phoning, booked the requisite Youth Hostels last Autumn.

    Last week, Ravenstor told us that thanks to some government initiative
    they are no longer open to the public _all_summer_ this year and the
    next and had to cancel our booking. Bit of a pisser as we were due to
    start and end there and leave the car while we walked.

    Then Ilam Hall cancelled on us! At present, Castleton don't know whether
    they'll have to or not but they've offered to help us find a B&B in
    Castleton that will take us.

    We've provisionally booked a camping barn near Ravenstor where we can
    leave the car (Ravenstor even had the cheek to tell us that if we wanted
    to leave the car with them we'd need to pay £2 per day!) but we're
    currently a bit stuck around Ilam.

    We'd booked a rest day at Ilam as the walk to it is the 17 miler
    (youngest offspring will be 10 then and has short legs) with the
    following section 16 miles to Hartington. What we're now considering is
    breaking the 30-odd miles from to Hartington into three sections,
    stopping at walking-family-friendly B&Bs en route.

    Does anyone have any recommendations? Evening meals as well as drying
    facilities are a concern at the moment as we've no experience of B&Bs,
    having been more than content with the YHA until now.

    Paddy

    --
    paddy underscore spencer at hotmail dot com

    Tags:

  2. paddy spencer wrote:

    > Does anyone have any recommendations? Evening meals as well as drying

    > facilities are a concern at the moment as we've no experience of

    B&Bs,
    > having been more than content with the YHA until now.

    Paddy

    I've tried but I can't work out exactly where you're looking for
    accomodation ? Are you planning to do three equal days from Castleton
    to Ilam with two overnights en-route ?

    Chris

  3. Chris Gilbert wrote:
    > paddy spencer wrote:
    >

    >>Does anyone have any recommendations? Evening meals as well as drying
    >>facilities are a concern at the moment as we've no experience of B&Bs,
    >>having been more than content with the YHA until now.

    > I've tried but I can't work out exactly where you're looking for
    > accomodation ? Are you planning to do three equal days from Castleton
    > to Ilam with two overnights en-route ?

    Sorry - hard to be coherent when one's livid :) It's the two legs from
    Youlgreave->Ilam->Hartington we want to split into three, so we'd go
    Youlgreave->X->Y->Hartington.

    Paddy

  4. paddy spencer wrote:

    > Youlgreave->X->Y->Hartington.

    Your X and Y could be Biggin and Stanshope, both of which have
    accomodation although I cannot comment, not having used them. They
    both keep you quite close to the route of the WPW.

    Chris

  5. Chris Gilbert wrote:
    > paddy spencer wrote:
    >>Youlgreave->X->Y->Hartington.

    > Your X and Y could be Biggin and Stanshope, both of which have
    > accomodation although I cannot comment, not having used them. They
    > both keep you quite close to the route of the WPW.

    Thanks - I'll have a look.

    Paddy

  6. Nick Pedley

    Nick Pedley Guest

    > "paddy spencer" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    news:[email protected]
    Hi all,

    We'd booked a rest day at Ilam as the walk to it is the 17 miler
    (youngest offspring will be 10 then and has short legs) with the
    following section 16 miles to Hartington.

    **********
    (Can't get the separators to work...?)

    Sorry, I don't understand this. It's only 8 miles from Ilam to Hartington as
    the crow flies, where do you go to get 16 miles?

    Nick

  7. Nick Pedley wrote:

    > Sorry, I don't understand this. It's only 8 miles from Ilam to
    > Hartington as the crow flies, where do you go to get 16 miles?

    The White Peak Way loops southwards along Dovedale to Ilam and then
    follows the Manifold north before coming back across to Hartington.
    It still makes for a pretty relaxed three day walk, mind.

    Chris

  8. Nick Pedley

    Nick Pedley Guest

    "Chris Gilbert" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Nick Pedley wrote:
    >
    > > Sorry, I don't understand this. It's only 8 miles from Ilam to
    > > Hartington as the crow flies, where do you go to get 16 miles?

    > The White Peak Way loops southwards along Dovedale to Ilam and then
    > follows the Manifold north before coming back across to Hartington.
    > It still makes for a pretty relaxed three day walk, mind.

    Ah, so this bit is also the Manifold Way? Makes sense now. It's a nice
    stroll mostly along a road and the tea shop at Wetton Mill is worth a visit.
    Does your route go via Waterstones thru Abbots Banks and Musden Wood or do
    you follow the river straight from Ilam Hall to Beeston Tor Farm?

    Nick

  9. Nick Pedley wrote:

    > Does your route go via Waterstones thru Abbots Banks and Musden
    > Wood or do you follow the river straight from Ilam Hall to Beeston
    > Tor Farm?

    The WPW is marked on the latest versions of the OS maps. My normally
    reliable idetic memory (coff! coff!) can't recall it offhand.

    Chris