White Peak Way - need B&B recommendations

paddy spencer

Guest
Hi all,

Well, we decided en famille to do the WPW this year and, through much
phoning, booked the requisite Youth Hostels last Autumn.

Last week, Ravenstor told us that thanks to some government initiative
they are no longer open to the public _all_summer_ this year and the
next and had to cancel our booking. Bit of a pisser as we were due to
start and end there and leave the car while we walked.

Then Ilam Hall cancelled on us! At present, Castleton don't know whether
they'll have to or not but they've offered to help us find a B&B in
Castleton that will take us.

We've provisionally booked a camping barn near Ravenstor where we can
leave the car (Ravenstor even had the cheek to tell us that if we wanted
to leave the car with them we'd need to pay £2 per day!) but we're
currently a bit stuck around Ilam.

We'd booked a rest day at Ilam as the walk to it is the 17 miler
(youngest offspring will be 10 then and has short legs) with the
following section 16 miles to Hartington. What we're now considering is
breaking the 30-odd miles from to Hartington into three sections,
stopping at walking-family-friendly B&Bs en route.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Evening meals as well as drying
facilities are a concern at the moment as we've no experience of B&Bs,
having been more than content with the YHA until now.

Paddy

--
paddy underscore spencer at hotmail dot com

paddy spencer wrote:

> Does anyone have any recommendations? Evening meals as well as drying

> facilities are a concern at the moment as we've no experience of

B&Bs,
> having been more than content with the YHA until now.

Paddy

I've tried but I can't work out exactly where you're looking for
accomodation ? Are you planning to do three equal days from Castleton
to Ilam with two overnights en-route ?

Chris

Chris Gilbert wrote:
> paddy spencer wrote:
>

>>Does anyone have any recommendations? Evening meals as well as drying
>>facilities are a concern at the moment as we've no experience of B&Bs,
>>having been more than content with the YHA until now.

> I've tried but I can't work out exactly where you're looking for
> accomodation ? Are you planning to do three equal days from Castleton
> to Ilam with two overnights en-route ?

Sorry - hard to be coherent when one's livid :) It's the two legs from
Youlgreave->Ilam->Hartington we want to split into three, so we'd go
Youlgreave->X->Y->Hartington.

Paddy

paddy spencer wrote:

> Youlgreave->X->Y->Hartington.

Your X and Y could be Biggin and Stanshope, both of which have
accomodation although I cannot comment, not having used them. They
both keep you quite close to the route of the WPW.

Chris

Chris Gilbert wrote:
> paddy spencer wrote:
>>Youlgreave->X->Y->Hartington.

> Your X and Y could be Biggin and Stanshope, both of which have
> accomodation although I cannot comment, not having used them. They
> both keep you quite close to the route of the WPW.

Thanks - I'll have a look.

Paddy

> "paddy spencer" <[email protected]> wrote in message

news:[email protected]...
Hi all,

We'd booked a rest day at Ilam as the walk to it is the 17 miler
(youngest offspring will be 10 then and has short legs) with the
following section 16 miles to Hartington.

**********
(Can't get the separators to work...?)

Sorry, I don't understand this. It's only 8 miles from Ilam to Hartington as
the crow flies, where do you go to get 16 miles?

Nick

Nick Pedley wrote:

> Sorry, I don't understand this. It's only 8 miles from Ilam to
> Hartington as the crow flies, where do you go to get 16 miles?

The White Peak Way loops southwards along Dovedale to Ilam and then
follows the Manifold north before coming back across to Hartington.
It still makes for a pretty relaxed three day walk, mind.

Chris

"Chris Gilbert" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Nick Pedley wrote:
>
> > Sorry, I don't understand this. It's only 8 miles from Ilam to
> > Hartington as the crow flies, where do you go to get 16 miles?

> The White Peak Way loops southwards along Dovedale to Ilam and then
> follows the Manifold north before coming back across to Hartington.
> It still makes for a pretty relaxed three day walk, mind.

Ah, so this bit is also the Manifold Way? Makes sense now. It's a nice
stroll mostly along a road and the tea shop at Wetton Mill is worth a visit.
Does your route go via Waterstones thru Abbots Banks and Musden Wood or do
you follow the river straight from Ilam Hall to Beeston Tor Farm?

Nick

Nick Pedley wrote:

> Does your route go via Waterstones thru Abbots Banks and Musden
> Wood or do you follow the river straight from Ilam Hall to Beeston
> Tor Farm?

The WPW is marked on the latest versions of the OS maps. My normally
reliable idetic memory (coff! coff!) can't recall it offhand.

Chris