Whither Rivendell?

davidd86

Nov 29, 2004
I utterly don't understand the whole Rivendell phenomenon. For a fraction of the price of their bikes one can get a beautiful old road or touring frame and have it beautifully refinished to boot -- and who on earth, given the choice, wouldn't. Their component choices are the very acme of mediocrity. The frames are nicely detailed, sure, but so are lots of vintage frames. Additionally I think they've taken the high-handlebars thing over the top ... as a motorcycle rider, I can tell you that having the bars too high just puts too much weight on your butt over time. You need them comfortably high, but not ridiculously so.

Anyhow, I love retro things and retro bikes, but I really and truly do not understand how Rivendell is successful.

Just an observation.

davidd86 said:
Additionally I think they've taken the high-handlebars thing over the top ... as a motorcycle rider, I can tell you that having the bars too high just puts too much weight on your butt over time. You need them comfortably high, but not ridiculously so.
I'm not going to comment on the rest of the phenomenon, but the high handlebar thing, like you, I just can't understand. I used to have a bike with a somewhat too long top tube for me. I was having shoulder problems so I went to a shop and had it fit and that was their solution. They put this goony long stem on it. Not only did it not help the shoulder problem in the slightest it made my rear end feel like it was on fire - and I am a dedicated long distance cyclist. I ride usually 5 to 6 days a week and my butt is pretty much made of iron now so this was an unexpected and unpleasant change. The upright postition took my weight off of my sitbones and put it all on soft tissue that wasn't meant to take that kind of abuse. I've since gotten a new smaller bike with an even more agressive position, ie. lower handlebars and I've found this to actually be easier on my shoulders and neck. So yeah - unless you specifically have back problems that won't let you bend down or are just going to be cruising short distances the upright position seems uncomfortable to me.

davidd86 said:
Anyhow, I love retro things and retro bikes, but I really and truly do not understand how Rivendell is successful.
Marketing? Setting your own products apart from all others and pricing them high... when (I suspect) any good frame builder will sell you a frame of more or less similar quality. :)