Who are you Supporting in the FIFA World Cup 2006?

MountainPro

Aug 11, 2004
Me? it has to be Sweden, a magnificent team.

Why not England you ask....well they have to be one of the favourites but i cant stand another 50 years of England mentioning '66 then '06 300 times in every sporting program from cycling to badmington.

other teams i would like to see do well are:

Germany,
Czech Republic
Croatia
Iran
Korea
Japan

and perhaps Oz (but thats a long shot!)

realistically its between Brazil, Argentina, Italy, Germany, Holland or England

what about you?

edit: world cup teams >> http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/w/team/index.html

Holland. Mexico, if they can pull a rabbit out of their hats.

It's weird. There are other talented athletes such as Paula Radcliffe, and yet this Wayne Rooney dude is supposed to be some kind of mega-athlete.
I'll bet if you put him on Ape D' Huez he'd collapse after the initial few yards. :D
I don't want England to win either simply because there will be none-stop T.V. and media broadcasts in praise of W.R.
There's enough suffering with Big Brother to contend with. :D

MountainPro said:
do you thinki Shrek (wayne rooney) will be ready?

Carrera said:
There are other talented athletes such as Paula Radcliffe :D
England, Brazil and I will go out on a limb and say U.S. as a sleeper. I have always been a big Landon Donovan fan. Used to play for the Quakes. Brian McBride ain't bad either.

lw

Saw the news today and it's got to be a farce. How come the media is totally convinced that as soon as this Wayne Rooney guy makes a recovery, he's going to stroll overseas and win the World Cup single-handed?
They weren't saying this before the injury. Has the injury somehow given him superhero powers or what?
They've built him up into some sort of superman.
The media forgets Rooney is going to be facing Spanish and German strikers who train very seriously and don't binge out on the proverbial liquor and guzzle kebabs by night.
As for David Beckham, he's just an average player. He's good but nothing like what he's been painted out to be.
I guess I'll be supporting Spain as I really don't wish to be bombarded by all this "Wayne Rooney is Saviour of the World Cup" waffle on T.V.

Do any of you give credence to the ELO rating when it boils down to this tournement ?

lw

lwedge said:
England, Brazil and I will go out on a limb and say U.S. as a sleeper. I have always been a big Landon Donovan fan. Used to play for the Quakes. Brian McBride ain't bad either.

lw
the US is a good team, a lot of thier players play in the Permiership. Still, its going to take a miracle to overcome the mighty Brasil.

Oz is in the same group as Brasil. :eek: :eek: :eek: And Croatia and Japan. :eek: :eek: :eek: I'll be looking for another team to support after the inevitable.Until that happens...go the Socceroos!
After the valiant effort by South Korea last time,I have a soft spot for them and I wish them well.Generally I'll support the teams from smaller countries.
At this stage I'm going out on a limb and stating that Brasil and Germany will play in the final,but I'll be hoping for a few upsets to provide some extra drama.
My personal World Cup training programme commences this weekend...wind sprints to and from the 'fridge,some serious couch time and some endurance conditioning of the remote control and ring-pull digits.
It's important to stay focused on your goals and I realise that I will need to allow for some recovery time before commencing training again for the TDF.
Onward and upward!

Can't you people read?? :eek: ...the Heading is "who are you supporting" NOT "who do you think will win !!!"
who are you going to be barracking for ?
aussie slang- US equivalent- "rooting"
In Australia, "rooting" means horizontal folk-dancing...bedroom gymnastics...nude twister....do the math

anyways
I will be cheering for the Socceroos, the Australian team. Although I am not confident they will advance far, I hope they make the other teams sit up and take notice...

supporting--czech republic
rooting for--the clockwork orange
figuring will win--brazil

MountainPro said:
Its going to take a miracle to overcome the mighty Brasil.
I agree, I would like to see US do well in the second round but I agree with your miracle analysis. Oz has a tuff road in the first round, Brazil and Croatia.

Do you guys/gals recommend a web site for scores and stats ? What say ye ?
I use the basic Fifa web site.

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/

The USA could do well in the WC : they're not a bad side by any means and I think that the could get out of their group and in to the knockout stages which would be great for the sport, Stateside.
American goalkeeper is excellent - Kasey Keller (he was great when he was with my club - Spurs). McBride is a good player and Berhalter's more than capable.
They could nick a result against Italy and/or the Czechs

lwedge said:
I agree, I would like to see US do well in the second round but I agree with your miracle analysis. Oz has a tuff road in the first round, Brazil and Croatia.

Do you guys/gals recommend a web site for scores and stats ? What say ye ?
I use the basic Fifa web site.

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/

LW - I think that site is the best one that I've seen so far.

stevebaby said:
Oz is in the same group as Brasil. :eek: :eek: :eek: And Croatia and Japan. :eek: :eek: :eek: I'll be looking for another team to support after the inevitable.Until that happens...go the Socceroos!
After the valiant effort by South Korea last time,I have a soft spot for them and I wish them well.Generally I'll support the teams from smaller countries.
At this stage I'm going out on a limb and stating that Brasil and Germany will play in the final,but I'll be hoping for a few upsets to provide some extra drama.
My personal World Cup training programme commences this weekend...wind sprints to and from the 'fridge,some serious couch time and some endurance conditioning of the remote control and ring-pull digits.
It's important to stay focused on your goals and I realise that I will need to allow for some recovery time before commencing training again for the TDF.
Onward and upward!

The Aussies have Viduka, Schwarzer, Kewell : and they held the Dutch to a draw as well. Things are going well.

Croatia are a strong team though and of course there is Brazil.
but you never know.

limerickman said:
The USA could do well in the WC : they're not a bad side by any means and I think that the could get out of their group and in to the knockout stages which would be great for the sport, Stateside.
American goalkeeper is excellent - Kasey Keller (he was great when he was with my club - Spurs). McBride is a good player and Berhalter's more than capable.
They could nick a result against Italy and/or the Czechs
It's a tuff call, some over here think they won't make it out of the first round and others think they will make it to the semi's. I guess that's pretty typical thinking for your home team.

As they say, 32 teams, 32 days.

Im supporting England but brazil will take some beating.

C'Mon england bring football back home!!

lwedge, that is the official WC website...so i imagine it will be updated better than any other WC site.

I want to see Henrik_Larsson of Sweden and Shunsuke Nakamura of Japan do well. Both world class players.

I like to see S. Korea also do well after thier amazing effort last time...that was a real dream come true for them. I was watching a piece on Germany last night and i am having second thoughts. Klinsman has alway been a fave of mine as a player but seems a very hands-off manager. He lives in the US but his team are resident in Germany, he doesnt even join then most of the time for training sessions. Ballack and him have had a big bust up so team morale could be better.

Lastly Iran, probably will dropped out in the first round...their in with Mexico and Portugal...two powerhouse teams. I just like to root for the underdog sometimes.

Trinidad and Tobago have become the adpoted Scottish support since Scotland didnt qualify. We have a 'scottish' player in the squad, at least he plays here - Jason Scotland and they are in Englands group so lets hope they win eh?

Not sure what happened to TV coverage in my area. I should have been able to watch England vs Paraguay and Sweden vs Trinidad as it was schedule for broadcast on ABC at 6a and 9a but I got cartoons instead. I missed Eng\Par but I was able to watch a little of the Swe\ Tri match on Univision. I can speak some espanol but they speak too fast for me to understand everyting.

I was able to watch all of the Argentina vs Ivory Coast match on ESPN2. Great effort by CIV but Argentina was just too much. I think the first goal attempt for Arg should have been called a goal. The ball had to have crossed the plane of the goal line as the ball bounced off the CIV goalie (Tizie) and hit the back of the goal post and went back into Tizie's hands but it was not granted by the referee. Arg had another goal in the second half called back for being offsides. Good match though.

Crikey, US is an 80:1 dog to make it to the final round.:(

lw