Who are you Supporting in the FIFA World Cup 2006?

lwedge said:
Yes, I remember when Mia took off her soccer jersey and stunned the crowd. The crowd not knowing the tradition of course.

I think it will happen sooner rather than later, soccer was our most popular sport up until the 1930's. It will comeback, Cheapie makes some very valid points about the evolution of a player at present time. The public schools will and are adding soccer to their annual budget (it's cheaper that's for sure) so we will\are seeing the change.

lw
:D mia or brandy chastain? ;) i wish it was mia!

limerickman said:
$50m !!!!!!!

I remember back in the 1970's and the Tampa Bay Rowdies bought some European/South American players in the hope that soccer would take off.
Guys like Pele, Beckenbauer joined up but it never gained momentum.

Nope, that was the Cosmos of the North American Soccer League (also Chinaglia)... known as the best team money could buy. The Rowdies, Sounders, Whitecaps were other teams in the NASL which essentially disappeared in the mid '80s - later to be reborn as Major League Soccer which still isn't doing too well. Soccer's popular but not as a professional sport... there just aren't enough people willing to pay professional sport ticket prices to see it.

I'm an ex-Seattle Sounder fan... we were lucky to get 3,000 people in the Kingdome.

DiabloScott said:
His contract is up in December - I predict he'll disappear quietly. Hopefully to be replaced by someone who can stir up a little more excitement and talent.

He was good for you guys in the last world cup. 8 years is a long time - maybe he's a little stale. You've still got plenty of good (although some ageing) players.

Its amazing what a good coach can do if he's got something to work with. Hiddinck has shown that with most teams he is involved with.

DiabloScott said:
Nope, that was the Cosmos of the North American Soccer League (also Chinaglia)... known as the best team money could buy. The Rowdies, Sounders, Whitecaps were other teams in the NASL which essentially disappeared in the mid '80s - later to be reborn as Major League Soccer which still isn't doing too well. Soccer's popular but not as a professional sport... there just aren't enough people willing to pay professional sport ticket prices to see it.

I'm an ex-Seattle Sounder fan... we were lucky to get 3,000 people in the Kingdome.

Cosmos - you're correct.
(I got my teams confused).
George Best, Pele etc went over to the USA to play.

Tampa Bay I think hired the likes of Rodney Marsh (ex England and Manchester City).
Perhaps that was who I had in mind.

But thanks for the correction.

OK, who's it gonna be today - the Germans or the Swedes?

I say:

Germany- 2
Sweden- 0

...c'mon, orange! going to be a hard fought match.

figuring england in a walk over ecuador.

Hard to go past Argentina now. Their game against Mexico was worthy of a final. (I mean to play Australia in the final and lose in the last minute of a see-sawing match)

Wurm said:
OK, who's it gonna be today - the Germans or the Swedes?

I say:

Germany- 2
Sweden- 0
Looks like I was right on the money! :cool:

ENG vs. ECU is turning out to be no cakewalk. Beckham just now scored one over the wall. It's about time that bum earned his pay!

Still 1-nil.

England through to the quarters. Not a strong performance, but better than their group matches. Quite a few missed chances, but a good goal by Beckham. Could have been a much harder match had Ashley Cole not deflected that shot.........

How do you Lucky in Italian. :D

Almost say a perfectly executed bicycle kick into the net against the Italian team.

mitosis said:
Azzuri. Damn. That wasn't part of the plan at all.
the dive was though, Lippi knew if time was running out and there was no score it was time to dig out the wet suit and flippers...

lwedge said:
How do you Lucky in Italian. :D

Almost say a perfectly executed bicycle kick into the net against the Italian team.
Man, I must have been drinking !

Anyway,

Fortunato is lucky in Italiano

I could only watch bits and pieces of the Italy vs Aus match but I did an almost perfectly executed bicycle kick for goal by the Australian team that Totti would not have been able to defend. If that kick would have gone in, you would have heard Sydney erupt all the way up in Sitka.

lw

caught most of the games in the "last 16 round".

Argentina/Mexico was a very good game : Mexico palyed really well and almost managed to get a result.

England/Ecuador : England too their chances.

Hollan/Portugal : a disgraceful match. The ref lost complete control : Figo's conduct was disgraceful.

Italy/Australia : I thought the Aussies deserved a draw at least. Grosso got the penalty and Totti took it well but I think on the balance of play, Australia deserved to bring the game in to extra time.

France/Spain tonight : good game of football. I have to say i was surprised at how weel France played. I thought that they weren't too impressive in the earlier rounds.

Germany/Sweden : Wurm's prediction was correct. Germany deserved to win.

The France - Spain match was a fun one to watch. Both sides actually seemed motivated to win, played hard, and showed some skills. Not so with some of the other games I've seen.

Franco vs Espana:
How did you guys\gals like Zidane's goal in the 89th minute ? Not bad for an old man eh ?

lw

...thoughts on saturday's match between germany & argentina? i'm thinking argentina in a tight match with germany returning to a tight defensive game in the second half (even though they've promised to keep it up tempo) hoping to take it to p.k.'s.

Is it a FIFA regulation that Spain are never allowed to fulfil any potential at the World Cup. Heres hoping Portugal win on Saturday.

Italy are my shout for winners but they've not been very convincing so far. Ghana have been my favourite team to watch. Adriano was blatantly offside for that 2nd goal.

slovakguy said:
...thoughts on saturday's match between germany & argentina? i'm thinking argentina in a tight match with germany returning to a tight defensive game in the second half (even though they've promised to keep it up tempo) hoping to take it to p.k.'s.

this is a tough one. deciding which team i dislike most was hard.

but alas, for the first time in my life im going to support the germans! :eek:

the argies have been good and play more attractive football, but they are argies. they beat my second team, Mexico, only narrowly and arguably should have had 10 men on the field for much of the game. barstewards.

german, for once are playing decent football and i will just have to support them against the far greater evil that is Argentina.

Deutschland Uber Alles! (except england) ;)

dandaman said:
but alas, for the first time in my life im going to support the germans! :eek:
;)
i dont know who support, all my teams are out...

i would like to support Argentina but its a bit of a cop-out as they are a great team..

i am going to go for Germany too..