Who are you Supporting in the FIFA World Cup 2006?

MountainPro said:
i am going to go for Germany too..
Hell of a pick my friend.

I watched half of the match (had to go to work). It seemed to me that on this day Germany handled the ball better and should have won.

I will not make any predictions. I think I've got a certain "Irishman’s" kiss of death thing going on right now.

Ahhh, but alas, I can use this to my advantage.

lw

The build up to the England collapse...

why do they always set themselevs up for a catastrophic fall?

read on, i have highlighted the relevant areas..

------------------------------------------------

Steven Gerrard is convinced Wayne Rooney will deliver "a big performance" for England in the World Cup quarter-final with Portugal as he strives to make up for his Euro 2004 injury agony.

Gerrard is adamant that Rooney's early departure with a broken foot in the last-eight showdown in Lisbon was the turning point as England, leading 1-0 through a Michael Owen goal, were eventually beaten on penalties.

Now the Manchester United striker is returning to his best form after recovering from a similar setback, with Gerrard convinced he will cause massive problems for Luiz Felipe Scolari's side.

Gerrard said: "I think he is going to put a really big performance in for us. He could be our key man in hopefully beating the Portuguese.

"He is such a fantastic player and I know he's still hurting from two years ago, having to go off injured and also with England going out of the competition in the last eight.

"I believe the injury to Wayne Rooney was the turning point.

"Up until that point we were matching them and doing okay. I think Wayne going off had a psychological effect on the rest of the team."

Rooney is again likely to operate as the only forward in a 4-5-1 formation, after carrying out the role for 90 minutes against Ecuador.

Gerrard is confident the 20-year-old will adapt to the role, with himself and Frank Lampard supporting him from midfield, but believes it is important for a team to be flexible.

The Liverpool captain said: "It's not difficult for Wayne to play in that formation because his movement is so good. It seems when you play with Wayne he's always on and available.

"I know people talk about that formation as a 4-5-1 but it almost becomes a 4-3-3 and you have more options out wide. I quite enjoy that formation.

"I think there is a danger you can talk about formations and systems too much. Come kick-off time you have just got to make sure the team do the job against the opposition.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I actually want England to win this game...i want to see them put out by Germany, not Portugal.....c'mmmooon Engaland..

I think the chances in the England - Portugal game are 50 - 50 for either side to win. Having said that I do of course want England to win, just its by no means certain.

Eldrack said:
I think the chances in the England - Portugal game are 50 - 50 for either side to win. Having said that I do of course want England to win, just its by no means certain.
England Out, jelly boy (rooney) out...

they were struggling against mediocre teams right from the start, they counldnt deal with quality opposition...

England know no humilty or modesty...

i am wiating for the excuses to fire in...

Excuses ey? Sure there will be plenty. I think it was a match either side could have won but Portugal came out on top, mainly thanks to the fact their goal keeper is awesome against penalties. I would have liked to have seen England win and I don't think Rooney should have been sent off, yellow, not red. But there we go.

France have taken a suprise win over Brazil, through to the semi's. This tournament is beginning to look more and more like one that Germany can walk away from with the overall honours.

...looks like i've applied the kiss of death to all my picks, but i'll give credit to the french. certainly played better than brasil. had the brasilian side played the entire match as they did the final twenty minutes...well. hat's off to zidane. masterful performance at pitch management. beautiful service into the box and nice finish by henry.

list having been narrowed against my wishes, hoping that portugal lifts its first cup, removing them, go germany, then go france and i'll never cheer on azzuri.

All my teams are out.
Has to be Italy now because if they win I can claim Australia would have won if not for a good bit of Italian acting. :p

mitosis said:
All my teams are out.
Has to be Italy now because if they win I can claim Australia would have won if not for a good bit of Italian acting. :p
The most galling thing about Australia's loss?
Italy's goal was scored by someone whose response was to SUCK HIS FECKIN' THUMB!
BASTARDS! :mad:

Oh yes it has to be Italy now after tonight's performance. Absolutely outstanding.

El Loto said:
Oh yes it has to be Italy now after tonight's performance. Absolutely outstanding.

A superb game of football tonight (Germany V Italy).
Two different systems playing each other - tactically it was a very intersting game and it was really exciting.
Great goal by Del Piero.

Germany fought really hard.

limerickman said:
A superb game of football tonight (Germany V Italy).
Two different systems playing each other - tactically it was a very intersting game and it was really exciting.
Great goal by Del Piero.

Germany fought really hard.

how fun was the last bit of the game with both teams going end to end? i was fascinated!

cheapie said:
how fun was the last bit of the game with both teams going end to end? i was fascinated!
i missed the game....i was out on the bike for 3 hours then back home to watch highlights of stage 3 of some cycling event on TV at 9 pm..

lovely evening though...

was it an important game?

MountainPro said:
i missed the game....i was out on the bike for 3 hours then back home to watch highlights of stage 3 of some cycling event on TV at 9 pm..

lovely evening though...

was it an important game?
and kessler gets it!

3 cheers for Kessler. That makes up for the day before.

However, with Portugal I'd say that's one dirty squad. Most yellow cards of any in the WC with 21, and today against France they showed why they deserved to lose.

I'm taking France 2, Italy 1. ;)

Wurm said:
3 cheers for Kessler. That makes up for the day before.

However, with Portugal I'd say that's one dirty squad. Most yellow cards of any in the WC with 21, and today against France they showed why they deserved to lose.

I'm taking France 2, Italy 1. ;)
yeah i was happy for Kessler, he was utterly gutted the stage before when he was steam rollered before the finish line...

watching the portugal and france game, the commentator said the protugese were 'dropping like flies' as reference to a contact free plunge to the grass in a vain attempt at a foul.

i am glad france won, they are finding thier old 1998 form again when they won the world cup..

italy will go all out for the dives but with any luck france will beat them...

normally i love italian stuff and their football is excellent also, but it angers the hell out of me when they start diving though...

newsflash:
"we were beaten fair and square by a better team on the day" - England.

obviously i am joking...

I would like to see France win. They really seem to be peeking at the right time.

My neighbors must have thought something else was going on in my house Tuesday morning when Kessler was feeling the lactic acid. I kept yelling, Go baby, Go Baby, Go baby, go, go ,go..... Yessss!

Excellent timing this time for Kessler.

Well, see you later. I'm going over to the Grand Tours Forum to talk about WC Soccer. :D

lw

If the Grand final were held at a pool italy would win.
If they lose the italians will probably claim that they were handicapped by their snorkels.

...i cannot bring myself to supporting italy. i'm not too keen on france either, but find myself falling in with the camp of sentimentalists who'd like to zidane lift the cup at the close of his international career. so, the final kiss of death goes firmly on france's cheeks. sorry, france.