Who can request at at market?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by jmcquown, Mar 18, 2006.

  1. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    Can you ask your local market/supermarket to order something and they will
    do it? And I'm not just talking promises; do they actually do it?

    Jill <--holding back until I hear what you folks have to say

    Tags:

  2. Jill wrote:

    > Can you ask your local market/supermarket to order something and they will
    > do it? And I'm not just talking promises; do they actually do it?

    Sometimes. It probably depends on what you request. My local supermarket
    started stocking Champagne vinegar and peppadews after I requested, but they
    weren't able to resume stocking pasteurized eggs. (Someone from their
    regional office did call me and promise that they'd begin carrying the eggs
    again, but it never came to pass.)

    It doesn't HURT to ask, in any case.

    Bob

  3. SD

    SD Guest

    jmcquown wrote:
    > Can you ask your local market/supermarket to order something and they will
    > do it? And I'm not just talking promises; do they actually do it?
    >
    > Jill <--holding back until I hear what you folks have to say

    Yes....my local supermarket here in Honduras will try to get things if
    they are available in country. Everything I've requested except for
    Medjool dates has appeared. I can get the dates in San Pedro but that
    is a two hour drive. Heck Otis Sunkmeyer muffins have appeared in the
    dairy case along with cheddar cheese from New Zealand and Colby and
    Jack cheese from the US.

    SD

  4. jmcquown wrote:
    > Can you ask your local market/supermarket to order something and they will
    > do it? And I'm not just talking promises; do they actually do it?
    >
    > Jill <--holding back until I hear what you folks have to say

    The chain supermarkets here do not order individually. There are
    warehouses where most non-perishable foods are delivered for all the
    supermarkets in a chain in an area. I wanted our market to keep on
    selling a special dishwasher powder which was no longer available
    there and the manager explained that it was not possible for him to do
    it. He called the warehouse and asked whether there was any left, but
    that was all he could do for me. I hope you will be able to get
    whatever you need.

  5. ensenadajim

    ensenadajim Guest

    On 18 Mar 2006 19:10:03 -0600, "Bob Terwilliger"
    <[email protected]_spammer.biz> wrote:

    >Jill wrote:
    >
    >> Can you ask your local market/supermarket to order something and they will
    >> do it? And I'm not just talking promises; do they actually do it?

    >Sometimes. It probably depends on what you request. My local supermarket
    >started stocking Champagne vinegar and peppadews after I requested, but they
    >weren't able to resume stocking pasteurized eggs. (Someone from their
    >regional office did call me and promise that they'd begin carrying the eggs
    >again, but it never came to pass.)
    >
    >It doesn't HURT to ask, in any case.
    >
    >Bob

    Not only that, but some markets will order stuff for you they do not
    carry - but have access to. That carries a price as you usually have
    to purchase a case at a time.

    jim

  6. aem

    aem Guest

    jmcquown wrote:
    > Can you ask your local market/supermarket to order something and they will
    > do it? And I'm not just talking promises; do they actually do it?
    >
    > Jill <--holding back until I hear what you folks have to say

    When Vons bought Safeway independent brands of a wide variety of canned
    and packaged items began disappearing from the shelves, being replaced
    by the Vons house brands. I asked for a few of my old favorites to be
    returned, but of course they weren't. -aem

  7. ~patches~

    ~patches~ Guest

    jmcquown wrote:

    > Can you ask your local market/supermarket to order something and they will
    > do it? And I'm not just talking promises; do they actually do it?
    >
    > Jill <--holding back until I hear what you folks have to say

    My experience is yes but that is very limited. I'm curious to hear
    other replies.

  8. D.Currie

    D.Currie Guest

    > Can you ask your local market/supermarket to order something and they will
    > do it? And I'm not just talking promises; do they actually do it?
    >
    > Jill <--holding back until I hear what you folks have to say

    Depends on if they can get it from their distributor, and what quantity they
    have to buy, and whether they're willing to stock that quantity.

    Each time I've asked about something special, they at least get back to me
    with a yes or no. If it's "no" they also tell me why.

    Donna

  9. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    "D.Currie" <[email protected]> wrote

    > "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote

    >> Can you ask your local market/supermarket to order something and they
    >> will
    >> do it? And I'm not just talking promises; do they actually do it?
    >>
    >> Jill <--holding back until I hear what you folks have to say

    > Depends on if they can get it from their distributor, and what quantity
    > they have to buy, and whether they're willing to stock that quantity.
    >
    > Each time I've asked about something special, they at least get back to me
    > with a yes or no. If it's "no" they also tell me why.

    One time the store I frequent, before being taken over by Albertson's,
    put up a big posterboard thing, you wrote in what you wanted to see
    on the shelves. That is how bad it was, they had nothing. I wrote in
    Scotch Brand kitchen sponges, you know, the green and yellow jobbers?

    Never did see them, yet another reason I first joined Costco.

    At any rate, that was a fruitless exercise, but why not ask. They
    might listen.

    Also, once I emailed the headquarters of this chain, they got to the
    local store and the local store got to me. Perhaps your store has
    a website where you can ask about what you're looking for?

    nancy

  10. "jmcquown" <[email protected]> hitched up their panties and posted
    news:[email protected]:

    > Can you ask your local market/supermarket to order something and they
    > will do it? And I'm not just talking promises; do they actually do
    > it?
    >
    > Jill <--holding back until I hear what you folks have to

    Straubs will order anything for you. I mean anything. I love the place.

    Michael

    --
    "The most remarkable thing about my mother is that for thirty years she
    served the family nothing but leftovers. The original meal has never been

    --Calvin Trillin

  11. "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Can you ask your local market/supermarket to order something and they will
    > do it? And I'm not just talking promises; do they actually do it?
    >
    > Jill <--holding back until I hear what you folks have to say

    I've not tried at the grocery, but a local liquor store will order anything
    for me. They can get just a single bottle if that is what I want.

  12. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    SD wrote:
    > jmcquown wrote:
    >> Can you ask your local market/supermarket to order something and
    >> they will do it? And I'm not just talking promises; do they
    >> actually do it?
    >>
    >> Jill <--holding back until I hear what you folks have to say

    > Yes....my local supermarket here in Honduras will try to get things if
    > they are available in country. Everything I've requested except for
    > Medjool dates has appeared. I can get the dates in San Pedro but that
    > is a two hour drive. Heck Otis Sunkmeyer muffins have appeared in the
    > dairy case along with cheddar cheese from New Zealand and Colby and
    > Jack cheese from the US.
    >
    > SD

    How cool is that?! muffins and NZ cheese!

  13. RoR

    RoR Guest

    On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 18:38:38 -0600, "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Can you ask your local market/supermarket to order something and they will
    >do it? And I'm not just talking promises; do they actually do it?
    >
    >Jill <--holding back until I hear what you folks have to say

    If my experience with dilled green beans is an indication, no. Not usually, anyway.

    --
    Rick R
    [email protected]ult

  14. In article <[email protected]>,
    "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Can you ask your local market/supermarket to order something and they will
    > do it? And I'm not just talking promises; do they actually do it?
    >
    > Jill <--holding back until I hear what you folks have to say

    Been a long time since I've done it but the answer is yes. (It was
    canning jars and the manager did some research for me, found the jars
    and got several cases for me. Lund's supermarket chain in town.)
    --
    -Barb
    <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 3-17-2006, The $400K Condo in the

  15. Default User

    Default User Guest

    Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:

    > "jmcquown" <[email protected]> hitched up their panties and
    > posted news:[email protected]:
    >
    > > Can you ask your local market/supermarket to order something and
    > > they will do it? And I'm not just talking promises; do they
    > > actually do it?
    > >
    > > Jill <--holding back until I hear what you folks have to

    > Straubs will order anything for you. I mean anything. I love the
    > place.

    I enquired with them about Steen's Cane Syrup, they, ordered it and put
    it on the shelves.

    Brian

    won't shut up.

  16. Reg

    Reg Guest

    Default User wrote:

    > I enquired with them about Steen's Cane Syrup, they, ordered it and put
    > it on the shelves.

    Let me guess, were you making an Emeril dish? He loves
    that stuff.

    --
    Reg

  17. Reg <[email protected]> hitched up their panties and posted
    news:DR7Tf.6775$%[email protected]:

    > Default User wrote:
    >
    >> I enquired with them about Steen's Cane Syrup, they, ordered it and put
    >> it on the shelves.

    > Let me guess, were you making an Emeril dish? He loves
    > that stuff.

    It doesn't matter. If you want it, they can usually get it, including
    sauces, spices and meat. As I said previously, I love the place, I just
    can't afford it too much ;)

    Michael

    --
    "The most remarkable thing about my mother is that for thirty years she
    served the family nothing but leftovers. The original meal has never been
    found."

    --Calvin Trillin

  18. Alex Rast

    Alex Rast Guest

    at Sun, 19 Mar 2006 00:38:38 GMT in <dH1Tf.7771$Y7.1368
    @bignews7.bellsouth.net>, [email protected] (jmcquown) wrote :

    >Can you ask your local market/supermarket to order something and they will
    >do it? And I'm not just talking promises; do they actually do it?

    I've had bad luck, but this is as much a result of hyperspecificity as it
    is of what the grocery store is willing to do. Generally if I make a
    specific request it's either for something extremely exotic or for some
    unusual combination of a specific brand and a specific variety of an item
    that the store carries, often in both that brand or variety, but not for
    the combination. Another problem I run into is that some products are
    typically not sold in retail formats (so that it's not just a matter of
    "you have to buy a case" - it's a matter of that the item requested only
    comes in 50-lb sacks, or 10-gallon drums, etc. etc.).

    The chances on most of the items I request is that therefore either their
    distributor doesn't carry the brand, doesn't carry any of the type of item
    I'm looking for, or that that particular combination turned out to be
    unpopular (usually because relative to other varieties and/or brands of the
    item it was a bit more expensive) and the distributor discontinued it.

    I find that if something is actually carried by any of the distributors in
    your area you can find it with a determined search of retail outlets
    without having to special-order. Usually the only things that I find would
    need to be special ordered are the things that aren't available at all from
    the local distributors. And it all comes down to them, not the grocery
    stores.

    --
    Alex Rast
    [email protected]

  19. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    jmcquown wrote:
    > Can you ask your local market/supermarket to order something and they
    > will do it? And I'm not just talking promises; do they actually do
    > it?
    >
    > Jill <--holding back until I hear what you folks have to say

    Okay, I'll answer my own question. I'm very fortunate to have a market that
    will look at my requests and deem whether or not they are items that will
    sell.

    They sell produce; I suggested cabbage. Now when they can find it at a
    decent price, they sell cabbage. I had suggested broccoli; they brought in
    some broccoli.

    Next thing I will suggest will be (now in season down here in the southern
    U.S.) yellow squash and zucchini. And of course Ripley Tennessee tomatoes!

    They also let me suggest the prices, which is *really* odd. But then, I've
    been a customer for 10 years and they've only owned the place for a year. I
    certainly don't want them to lose money but I also don't want them to
    overcharge and wind up being just another "convenience store" that sells
    nothing chips and beer. They are certainly not just a convenience store
    since they have these other items, what with their breakfast and lunch
    buffet which is very good!

    When they ask about the price of something I suggest they go look at the
    grocery store for similar items and subtract maybe 5 cents if they can
    afford to do so. They know what they pay at cost so they still make money.
    It's a good deal all around.

    Oh, and next to the lunch counter they have a cold case for sandwich stuff.
    Want some bologna? Ham? Want sliced cheese? They have it. It's
    definitely not your local "quick mart" :)

    Jill

  20. Dave Smith

    Dave Smith Guest

    jmcquown wrote:

    > Can you ask your local market/supermarket to order something and they will
    > do it? And I'm not just talking promises; do they actually do it?

    They have in the past. Recently I have been disappointed when they told me
    they couldn't get it. It was a product that I had purchases in a nearby
    grocery store, and which I found in the latter location the next week when I
    shopped there. More recently I was told that my wife's favourite diet soft
    drink did not come in cans, only in one litre bottles. We had been buying it
    by the case of cans in that same store for 2 years and up until 2 weeks before
    I asked.