Who can solve this Clicking problem?

Mchappy77

Jul 19, 2013
For about two months on and off I have had a clicking noise as I pedal. It used to be mainly on the left pedal stoke but for the past couple weeks it is only on the right pedal stroke. Its worth noting as well, that the clicking noise is not there when I just turn the cranks with my hand and only when I really start pedalling at a decent cadence with some good torque on the pedals, as I push harder, either standing or sitting, the click goes away and the click is never there when I stand.

In this period, I have repalced (for different reasons) the BB, rear jockey wheels and the chain. I have tried different pedals and re set and greased the seat post. I have also checked for the obvious things such as a long cable or the garmin cadence sensor being in the way, and unless there is some serious flex in the bike as I pedal then none of these appear to be in the way.

I have also thought it might be one of the front ching rings that could be bent, but the click comes no matter which gear combination I am in.

The bike is a carbon fibre Bianchi Infinito with Ultegra groupset.

Any ideas as it just ruins some of my rides as I just concenrate on the click as opposed to the ride it self!

Cheers, Marc

FWIW. 'I' would try a different wheelset (one reason to have a spare set!?!) ...

If the 'click' remains then (as unlikely as it might be) 'I' would check the fork/headset/stem installation ...

After that, I would try to eliminate the worst-case-scenario & I would probably take the time to disassemble the bike & reassemble it from-the-ground-up ...

• THAT would allow me to inspect the frame with greater scrutiny ...
  • and, allow an inspection of ALL the components, individually

Cleats clicking in the pedals?

Pedals not properly torqued into the crank arms? It only takes a slightly loose pedal installation to cause a click-tick that only occurs at a certain range of power input.

Bottom bracket bearings in good shape? Is the installation tight, greased and properly preloaded?

Pedal bearings smooth and lubricated?

As Alf suggested, do check tightness of your headset preload and stem/handlebar fasteners.