Who could explain this?

While lurking around, I cannot help but notice that al.support.tinnitus is frequently cross posted.
I have limited personal and professional experience with tinnitus. Yet, there is a newsgroup
dedicated to the support of tinnitus patients. I understand tinnitus as a symptom of ASA overdose,
etc., but cannot imagine what it is like to have such a severe case that it occupies enough time to
post or read a newsgroup.

Can someone educate me? What causes tinnitus so severe that emotional support is needed? What it is
like to have tinnitus so badly?

Please forgive me for having sucha poor understanding. Reading nursing texts and journals is one
thing. Hearing from patients adds a whole new level of understanding.

On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 20:53:04 -0600, "Julianne" <[email protected]>
wrote (in part):

>Can someone educate me? What causes tinnitus so severe that emotional support is needed?

Julianne, I think that for many tinnitus represents a very great loss
- the loss of something so near and dear to you ... so much a part of you ... that you do not know
how much it means to you until you lose
it. Tinnitus is the loss of silence. Tinnitus sufferers - people with intrusive unrelenting
tinnitus - often need ermotional support because they have lost their peace and quiet.

> What it is like to have tinnitus so badly?

Everybody has a different story about what it's like to have tinnitus so badly.

Here is one:

www.tinn.com/clinics.html

smn

A relentless SCREECH in both ears, day and night, seven days a week, 365 days of the year. No
letup, ever.

Going to the doctor and being told that there is nothing that can be done.

wrote:

>While lurking around, I cannot help but notice that al.support.tinnitus is frequently cross posted.
>I have limited personal and professional experience with tinnitus. Yet, there is a newsgroup
>dedicated to the support of tinnitus patients. I understand tinnitus as a symptom of ASA overdose,
>etc., but cannot imagine what it is like to have such a severe case that it occupies enough time to
>post or read a newsgroup.
>
>Can someone educate me? What causes tinnitus so severe that emotional support is needed? What it is
>like to have tinnitus so badly?
>
>Please forgive me for having sucha poor understanding. Reading nursing texts and journals is one
>thing. Hearing from patients adds a whole new level of understanding.

My tinnitus is louder than the speech going on around me. It is a constant hum or drone that makes
it difficult for me to understand speech on top of the problems I already have with profound hearing
loss. There is no way for me to mask the sound with something else. When I am without a hearing aid,
it is all that I hear. Wearing the hearing aid requires so much volume going into my ear that the
tinnitus is aggravated more.

It effects one's concentration and for some people makes it difficult to sleep which starts the
vicious cycle of lack of rest which also aggravates tinnitus.

Some of us get used to it by listening to the sound or can put it in the back of the mind when
occupied with other things, but others find the sound so unnerving that it can't be put to the back
of the mind and it can make you crazy if you let it. For these folks, the ng provides some way to
keep you believing you are doing everything you can to make it go away.

Terri

http://pub219.ezboard.com/btinnitusactivismandsupport

On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 03:35:30 GMT, Stephen Nagler <[email protected]>
wrote:

>On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 20:53:04 -0600, "Julianne" <[email protected]> wrote (in part):
>
>>Can someone educate me? What causes tinnitus so severe that emotional support is needed?

>Julianne, I think that for many tinnitus represents a very great loss
>- the loss of something so near and dear to you ... so much a part of you ... that you do not know
> how much it means to you until you lose
>it. Tinnitus is the loss of silence. Tinnitus sufferers - people with intrusive unrelenting
> tinnitus - often need ermotional support because they have lost their peace and quiet.

Sheesh.

Terri

http://pub219.ezboard.com/btinnitusactivismandsupport

Thanks so much for your response. I received a couple of other responses but due to work, etc, I
closed them out before I responded so I could take care of business. I regret that I didn't mark
them as unread so I could respond in kind. All responses were appreciated! I feel I have gained
great insight to this. A symptom of 'ringing in the ears' vs cannot begin to tell the story of
people suffering from tinnitus.

When I was much younger, I had a 'ringing' in my ears. I called the doc who insisted on checking me
out and found nothing. His reassurance was all that I needed. I am understanding that the tinnitus
patients who look to tinnitus newsgroups have a different variety of tinnitus.

I hate to be so intrusive but I was genuinely curious. I sincerely appreciate everyone's response. I
remember when I was in Nursing School. Most of the class agreed that they would hate to lost their
ability to see more than anything. I, on the other hand, was protective of my hearing. I love music,
etc. What you describe is tantamount to a complete loss of hearing.

If there is anything you or anyone else cares to share that will help me understand this or know
where to refer patients to, I would be forever grateful.

> On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 20:53:04 -0600, "Julianne" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >While lurking around, I cannot help but notice that al.support.tinnitus
is
> >frequently cross posted. I have limited personal and professional experience with tinnitus. Yet,
> >there is a newsgroup dedicated to the support of tinnitus patients. I understand tinnitus as a
> >symptom of ASA overdose, etc., but cannot imagine what it is like to have such a severe case that
> >it occupies enough time to post or read a newsgroup.
> >
> >Can someone educate me? What causes tinnitus so severe that emotional support is needed? What it
> >is like to have tinnitus so badly?
> >
> >Please forgive me for having sucha poor understanding. Reading nursing
texts
> >and journals is one thing. Hearing from patients adds a whole new level
of
> >understanding.

> My tinnitus is louder than the speech going on around me. It is a constant hum or drone that makes
> it difficult for me to understand speech on top of the problems I already have with profound
> hearing loss. There is no way for me to mask the sound with something else. When I am without a
> hearing aid, it is all that I hear. Wearing the hearing aid requires so much volume going into my
> ear that the tinnitus is aggravated more.
>
> It effects one's concentration and for some people makes it difficult to sleep which starts the
> vicious cycle of lack of rest which also aggravates tinnitus.
>
> Some of us get used to it by listening to the sound or can put it in the back of the mind when
> occupied with other things, but others find the sound so unnerving that it can't be put to the
> back of the mind and it can make you crazy if you let it. For these folks, the ng provides some
> way to keep you believing you are doing everything you can to make it go away.
>
> Terri
>

> http://pub219.ezboard.com/btinnitusactivismandsupport

To really appreciate your sight, try losing it for a few days, wear a completely opaque blindfold.
You will be astounded by what you hear. Now imagine what would happen if your hearing was diminished
by industrial noise and at the same time had tinnitus. No, I am not blind, but I did have occasion
to lose the use of my eyes for short while many years ago. It was frightening to say the least.

"Julianne" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<oGS0c.4632$PY.2616@lakeread05>...
> While lurking around, I cannot help but notice that al.support.tinnitus is frequently cross
> posted. I have limited personal and professional experience with tinnitus. Yet, there is a
> newsgroup dedicated to the support of tinnitus patients. I understand tinnitus as a symptom of ASA
> overdose, etc., but cannot imagine what it is like to have such a severe case that it occupies
> enough time to post or read a newsgroup.
>
> Can someone educate me? What causes tinnitus so severe that emotional support is needed? What it
> is like to have tinnitus so badly?

For me, it means the loss of cheerfulness and economic productivity. Both hurt!

FP