Who Do You Guys Like to Ride With?

JJakucyk

Apr 27, 2004
Hey guys, I'm curious about something. When you're out riding/training, do you prefer to ride with others close to your own age, would you rather ride with adults, or do you not really care one way or another? Considering how few juniors there seem to be in any one area, I suspect it would be difficult to find riding partners who are your age, unless perhaps you're on a team with a strong junior program.

Thanks, :)

JJakucyk said:
Hey guys, I'm curious about something. When you're out riding/training, do you prefer to ride with others close to your own age, would you rather ride with adults, or do you not really care one way or another? Considering how few juniors there seem to be in any one area, I suspect it would be difficult to find riding partners who are your age, unless perhaps you're on a team with a strong junior program.

On long rides, I prefer to train with the local somewhat-fast group. There's a cat 2 and a few other strong riders. I usually sit at the front and try to pull most of the time. For anything hard, I like to train by myself. There's a few juniors around here, but I don't train with them very often, except on the aforementioned group rides.

I prefer not so much age but some one who thinks the way i do about biking. Also i do prefer companie. Not to much but enough so that all can be in one conversation. This help promote a comfertable environment. as well as no one gets left behind so that we have to slow.:p

The most important is that he is not a lot better or worse than me. Ages are not so important.

Virenque said:
The most important is that he is not a lot better or worse than me. Ages are not so important.
I'll agree with that. It felt pretty shitty going on one of the UVA group rides with some of the upper-level guys and getting dropped on the first sizeable hill.

Yes that`s shitty. Or if you go with someone worse than you so that you must wait him on every hill! That`s shitty too..

PartisanRanger said:
I'll agree with that. It felt pretty shitty going on one of the UVA group rides with some of the upper-level guys and getting dropped on the first sizeable hill.

I think we've all been there, whether young or old.

I tend to ride on my own. . . as I dont know anybody who likes cycling as I do, Upside of that is I can go where I like, and stop when I like etc. . . But Group rides are also good, I went on one Last Septemeber, and it was really good, effortly riding along at the back of the pack, then at a checkpoint looking at the average speed and thinking "woah that was easy". . . (17mph av.)(fast for me).

17 mph average is pretty fast for me too. With one exception, my fastest rides have been group rides. It's amazing how much speed you can gain, assuming you can hang with them the whole time.

I think it would be interesting to ride with some of you younger guys. It seems like most other adults would probably steer clear, but I'm not really sure why. Maybe it's because you guys can be wicked fast, or if you aren't, you can get to be in a very short period of time. :eek:

having said that was fast on a group ride, i have had 2 avgs faster than that, both just me on my own, a 18.5, on a 4.5 mile trip into town. . . and a 19.2 on a 20 mile ride < that last one was a good ride!! (tailwind. . )

Tailwinds can be a good thing. I always average my rides out in total, so unless there's a wind shift half way through, a beneficial tailwind is always balanced by an equally evil headwind. So the fastest I've ever done was 17.8 mph over a distance of 26 miles. I'm heavy too, so...well...no need to elaborate. :eek:

Roberto badgio said:
having said that was fast on a group ride, i have had 2 avgs faster than that, both just me on my own, a 18.5, on a 4.5 mile trip into town. . . and a 19.2 on a 20 mile ride < that last one was a good ride!! (tailwind. . )
i average (or at least at the end of last year) 20 mph or a bit more frequently, there are few hills of any real reckoning around me though, and the wind is never much more than 15 mph so it makes it a lot easier exp. don't think i've had an average over 22 though (solo) on any lengthy rides

As I'm the youngest by at least 20 years in my club, I'll ride w/ adults.. if i need a recovery ride I have an older lady (bout 70) who I'll ride with... I join up w/ the guys for hard group rides and I'll plan long/faster rides at off times w/ a friend of my mom's... I don't feel comfortable setting up other ride times w/ the guys cause I'm a girl though.. other than that, i'm on my own w/ some music.

It really depends on the situation. I am one of only a few juniors on my team, but there are a lot of guys outside of my team that I really like, so I ride with them a lot. There are no other Cat. 1 Juniors, though, so I often find myself riding with over-18ers.

depends...on where i am and what type of people i get in contact with....normally with friends will be nice...or i have to chase groups of people on my own...and it's not amusing to crash into anyone i don't know..

Honestly, the entire summer I could count the number of true cyclists I saw on my fingers. (Minus riding down in Chicago on the shoreline...chaos.) Sometime at the top of the mountain i meet new cyclists and we talk, but that's about it.

In my town, here's only one other junior cyclist, and he's like 5 or 6 years older than me.

I like to ride with anyone who likes to ride, or likes bikes. I dont really care about age. I do tend to push myself harder when i ride with older people. like mid 20's

I sometimes ride with my dad, whos 42. He used to be a road racer in his teens to early 20's.

JJakucyk said:

The only thing that matters is that if there better or worse than you. I like doing races with people that are a lot better than me. That't the best training you can get. I see how long it takes me to get dropped. It's good training though because you get dropped sometimes and you have to dig deep to get back on. I also go on B rides sometimes and just keep breaking away. It's fun to see how many people you could drop.