Who Do You Like Cycling With?

Dora M

Feb 20, 2015
Colombia
Do you prefer cycling in groups, such as cyclist clubs, etc., or are you more inclined to go with friends and family?
For me clubs are too strenuous. It's usually all about performance and technical talk. Not to mention the latest gadgets and outfits. Whilst I enjoy hearing about the latest developments in the world of cycling, it's not something that I am exactly obsessed with. I simply enjoy riding my bike with family, friends and colleagues in a relaxed manner. I've even had business meetings while riding my bike along with a client.
What's your preference?

I prefer to be completely alone. I want to go where I want to go, at my own pace. I also like the alone time to think.

I bought a bike a good few years back and started cycling again after about a years break from when I was commuting to uni.

I tried many clubs...

I am not fit enough to participate in the local sport team. Or young enough. Or rich enough. The stakes are "20yo, Carbon, Ultegra" and up. :D

I tried a local forum once where they were trying to "promote" the idea of cycling etc etc. Apparently it ended up being a bunch of low-esteemed a-holes which all they did all day was to chat sh^t about the city's infrastructure on cycling and how better things were abroad.

Apparently they never been abroad because where I live it's cycling weather heaven, and the infrastructure doesn't have much to do with that. I never went for a ride with them. I even tried to get my posts erased from in there because they were planning on going to vandalize some public and private property and din't want to get f@ckin arrested as an accomplice and of course there were the CMR's the marches the lot...

Carried on cycling alone.

Then a guy from a local hiking club told me of another cycling group that apparently was "nicer".

First time I went there, there was a guy trying to sell some t-shirts. Again with the political sh^t-chat, the CMR's, the marches, the letters to the city hall... None of these people had any interest in bikes what so ever and apparently they were just using them as a front to do some protesting ****.

After a while I found a nice tourist office that was organizing rides, and these were some of the nicest rides I went! We had a support vehicle, the people were nice (older folk and usually not married for some strange reason) but the rides were magical! They were also quite expensive... About 20euro per ride. I also went for one that was for 4 days it was something like 300 euro... The way I am travelling I could go travelling in Europe for a week with that money, but it was a fantastic excursion non the less.

After that I had another break when I was in the army for a year. Not much cycling during that...

After the army I tried to find another place to go and cycle together with some people. I found out that the one which was selling the t-shirts was still on. I went for several rides with them.

Some people were strange. I tried to avoid them but then again some people were so strange that it kinda shocked me on how the others were considering the things they were writing in the groups site as rational (have you ever heard of a cycle-march funeral?). So after a few rambles I kinda ended up being blocked by those too but I tell you that I feel much better now that I am out of this group.

I also tried a local "Fix gear" group. They go fast. The rides are nice. But the people seem to know each other quite well and don't appear that crazy about making new friends. There are also quite a few of what you would describe as "hipsters"... Anyway, nice rides but feel kinda lonely in there some times.

So I am again cycling alone.

Maybe I will try to find a couple of people that we can cycle in the same pace and the same purpose and have another nice smaller group ride (these other ones were f@ckin slow man, I mean nerve-breaking slow).

I was basically going there to talk with people and have a pint. (Another ridiculous thing is that there were people going with f@ckin energy bars in these rides, talking about lame...) But apparently they dont like people who can keep a speed of more then 10km/h. Not to mention that they all "dress" like cyclists and sh^t when they are blanently not (I didn't know they made cycling jerseys for so fat fat people. Or bikes for people more then 100kg...)

Anyway not much luck with them and unfortunately a whole bunch of them will be coming to participate in a double century I will be doing in 20 days... Hopefully I wont have to talk with them.

So yes, riding alone, -is- the safest solution. But it's boring. It's also nicer to have some people to block some wind... You go faster like that.

+1 on the GF, but mine doesn't cycle. Nor is she here with me. So I need another Gf I guess. :D

and in a nutshell, finding a cycling partner is kinda like having a relationship. You don't know what kind of madness the other people carries in their mind and will revealed during the ride. :D

Alone is the best. That's the time when I can be free and think things through on the open road.

Volnix, if you're stuck with the 100Kg guys, don't ask your girlfriend to go out with you on hilly rides..

swampy1970 said:
Volnix, if you're stuck with the 100Kg guys, don't ask your girlfriend to go out with you on hilly rides..
Weird thing about my gf is that she is my height (1.82m) and she can probably kick my ass anytime... But she wont cycle cause she thinks it's "strenuous"... :wacko:

lol that is annoying, but at the same time we can't force anyone to do what they don't love. My kid is my better companion now, he really loves it and I get to decide where we go haha.

When I do, I prefer to go with someone that is enthusiastic also about bike riding and can keep up with my pace. That is why, I prefer to go to bike with the older ladies from my church than my friends that are in the same age groups as me. The church ladies seems to be very passionate about cycling and sometimes, they can go for miles despite of their age and condition. My friends, on the other hand cannot last for more than 30 minutes and always prefer video games. As the result, they always give up halfway to go home. Personally, I don't like cycling with that kind of group, even if I can cycle by myself later.

I always was a loner. So most of my journey happen alone. Unless we are going on a overnight trip, then of course having a friend is a must.

Every time I ride with others I end up leaving them behind because I'm so immersed in my ride alone. I guess the only way I can ride with others is in a leisurely way like at the lakefront or on a trail. If we're trying to get somewhere though? I'd rather go alone. I'll likely beat your car there. :D

I don't mind cycling with a friend or even a random stranger I encounter on the ride (if it's a lady ;)), but I tend to ride by myself. I take the time to challenge myself, enjoy my alone time, and then do a little reflection from time to time. It's too annoying riding with someone else because then you both have to compromise on riding speed and deal with each other in general.

I miss my times riding on my own, but definitely that riding with another person is better because we can share the pleasure of the ride. I recall when alone though that sometimes I went crazy with the heat...

It depends on the distance.

For very long spins, more than 5 hours, there are positives and negatives to having company on the road. If you're knackered, you don't want to be holding back your compatriots who in turn do not want to leave you behind.
On the other hand if you're going well and your compatriots is having a "sans jour", it make a long spin feel even longer.

I used to have a big "squad" to ride with.
Then people moved away, got married, had kids, got old and lazy, started working 60+hours a week (which I do on occasion but still fit in time to ride, then again I don't watch TV shows.)

At first I was totally bummed. Then I started to enjoy the solitary rides.
I guess I have to say I like to cycle. Period. Depends on m mood sometimes I love the big groups other times just myself and the open road is what dreams are made off.

One thing I will say about progression, it's ALWAYS better with more people. Everyone pushing each other to do better. I do love when I mix it up with a really serious group that will push me to my limits.

Reactions: kylerlittle
BikeBikeBikeBike said:
I used to have a big "squad" to ride with.
Then people moved away, got married, had kids, got old and lazy, started working 60+hours a week (which I do on occasion but still fit in time to ride, then again I don't watch TV shows.)

At first I was totally bummed. Then I started to enjoy the solitary rides.
I guess I have to say I like to cycle. Period. Depends on m mood sometimes I love the big groups other times just myself and the open road is what dreams are made off.

One thing I will say about progression, it's ALWAYS better with more people. Everyone pushing each other to do better. I do love when I mix it up with a really serious group that will push me to my limits.
That sounds awesome.

As a kid I used to cycle around with a group of friends but I got (and get) a lot more enjoyment out of riding on my own.

Riding alone I find is so peaceful & gives me a lot of time to think about my thoughts and take in my surroundings a lot more. Plus if I want to have a sit down somewhere I can do and can spend as much time as I want to.

That's what happened with me as well, we were a bunch of kids in my street and we used to go with our bikes and explore around, awesome days that I recall!

Sunflogun said:
That's what happened with me as well, we were a bunch of kids in my street and we used to go with our bikes and explore around, awesome days that I recall!
That's what I used to do, go to peoples fields on our bikes and get some fruit.

I like to go cycling by myself. It is a great way for to me clear my mind, catch some fresh air and just have a moment to myself. I feel like when I am cycling with others I have to constantly go at their pace whether that be too slow or too fast. Also, I feel like when you cycle with other people its hard to find a time that everyone agrees on!