Who do you think is doping in the '08 Tour?

Jeff Vader said:
Kreuziger
Cancellara
Although those two have underperformed in this year's Tour* so i would have thought they would be less likely to be doping in the tour?

*I know Cancellara did a hard ride the other day but he would have been expected to win the TT.

I'm waiting for Valverde to drop out from a "stomache virus", ala TD style. Doesn't seem to have his program fine-tuned yet.

Well Evans isn't doping. Some people who have ridden out with him in the off season have looked him in the eyes, and have seen a clean rider.

He's clean and yet stronger than a whole peleton of doped riders :cool:

Wayne666 said:
I wouldn't be surprised if Sastre or Moreau ended up positive.
Well I really wouldn't be surprised if anybody was positive but those two I think are a bit more suspicious.
If Sastre is doping, he needs to get his money back. He's a perenniel almost podium guy.

I would concur with the first post, except for Kirchen with:
Ricco
Schumacher
The whole Caisse team (Sanchez makes me crazy. Saiz lives on with him)

Crankyfeet said:
But Cunego's got that letter from his parents/doctor (
biggrin.gif
) saying he has a naturally high HCT which allows him to go over 50%... hasn't he? Are they still able to nab him if his values are higher than his own norm... blood passport style? Or are they focussing on other tests?

The French cycling authority doing the tests doesn't have the benefit of the UCI's year round data for each cyclist I presume, so that would make abnormalities harder to pick in reference to a cyclist's normal range.
Both Cunego and Ricco' have the letter stating/proving that they have naturally high hematocrits. Remember that high hematocrits are used as a health safeguard issue - Pantani was thrown out of the Giro for having a high hematocrit which could cause health problems, as opposed to doping (at least formally that was the reasoning - or my limited understanding of it).

UCI know this as they have their year-round testing data. Obviously UCI are not sharing all of this with the French authorities, so they are surely targeting the likes of both Cunego and Ricco with very regular testing. Honestly I do not know what this means in terms of a hematocrit profile... would they stop them at 55%? Or 56.6%? Dunno how it works. I suspect that they look at their hematocrit profiles along with the other stuff (testosterone a' la Floyd and other associated bits and pieces) and try to patch together what they need.

BTW, I recall Cunego being around 52% normally and Ricco somewhere in the same range

wicklow200 said:
If wheelsucking was banned, the ASO wouldn't have allowed Cadel start the tour.
If ass-faced muppets were banned, he wouldn't have started either.

all the swarthy European types and those weird Germans are doping.

all the English-speaking or riders on American teams are clean of course.

seems to be the way this thread is going, so I figure I'd jump straight to the end. I have to admit that I browsed DP today as O was bored with no stage to watch.

Quite a few people will be doping, but less than usual I think. I'd agree on the Schumi/Ricco point, and the Caisse team thing. Quite possible some of the top people on CSC are juicing it to the max, that testing program they do is probably being fiddled just a bit.

The high haemocrit thing is a bit of a farce but the worst thing is that you can have a steady haemocrit of 49.9 all the way through a grand tour and no one cries foul, at least not officially. Haemocrit should go down, way down, during such a strenuous event such as the TdF and the fact it stays constant in most riders is a direct sign of blood manipulation.

Eldrack said:
Quite a few people will be doping, but less than usual I think. I'd agree on the Schumi/Ricco point, and the Caisse team thing. Quite possible some of the top people on CSC are juicing it to the max, that testing program they do is probably being fiddled just a bit.

The high haemocrit thing is a bit of a farce but the worst thing is that you can have a steady haemocrit of 49.9 all the way through a grand tour and no one cries foul, at least not officially. Haemocrit should go down, way down, during such a strenuous event such as the TdF and the fact it stays constant in most riders is a direct sign of blood manipulation.
Is this part of the reason for the extra tests and the whole bio passport thing?

hawkeye87 said:
If Sastre is doping, he needs to get his money back. He's a perenniel almost podium guy.
What makes you think without dope he wouldn't just be pack fodder or worse?

Beltran was always either an also ran or a domestique. There is no reason to think doping automatically gives a rider the ability to ride at the front.

greg52 said:
My predictions:

Ricco
Kirchen
Shumacher
Casse D'Epargne (team-wide program)
What did I tell you?

I also forgot to add after the first mountain stage I think all of SD is doping.

greg52 said:
What did I tell you?

I also forgot to add after the first mountain stage I think all of SD is doping.

Hey! No fair. You can't append additions after the fact.

You're 1 in 4 so far. Not bad.

I'm convinced Kirchen is clean, but I have my doubts about the Schleck brothers.

To me, it simply doesn't make sense, that Schleck was beaten in Hautacam by 2 probably doped Saunier Duval, and all he replies to the press after the Ricco case, is a laconic. "Well, this proves that the system is working." And his brother refused to give ANY comment...

I know CSC team is being watched by Damsgaard...but this should be the topic of a new thread...

I don't see Sastre being on the juice. He always seems to be getting better later in the race (when all the pre-race dopers's juice is running out), and his merits seem to be more due to long-term persistance than 1 or 2 stage explosive power. That, and his personality doesnt really strike me as a doper.

I'd be more inclined to believe that the Schleck's we doing it, although I don't think CSC is the best team to ride for in that case, with Damsgaard running around.