Who do you think is doping in the '09 tour?

You just gotta love jiffy, he is always predictable, but still lovable in spite of being ugly sometimes. Keep em coming poopy. I can smell the next one.

easthwk said:
This is sad. I am relatively new as an audience to the sport of cycling. I am checking out this forum for the first time thinking that I would find some informative articles. Instead I find many threads expressing their suspicion and their anger on doping. I am not naive about cyclists using performance enhancing drugs. But the majority of people here seems to think that all the top performers are doing some kind of doping. This is shocking. I am not sure about Contador. But the Schlek brothers? Is there anyone beyond suspicion? How can I enjoy the sport if I can not be certain that the performances are genuine. This is sad indeed.

Don't let these hatchet men put you off. It's true there was a wide spread doping problem in the 1990s. But even then it didn't make much difference to the results because everybody was using it. You couldn't suddenly win because you decided to take EPO. But since testing has improved, the problem has gone down dramatically, with the last few years only a hand full of people doing it. The vast majority of the peleton this year is clean, and that certainly includes the top riders who are now scrutinised more than ever. Due to the new blood passsport scheme, and the fact results are offically kept in proper storage for seven years after the race, it's just not worth it anymore. But some socalled fans like to sound intelligent and 'in the know' by pretending nothing has changed and everybody who wins a stage is on something. It's just not the reality.

greg52 said:
Not everyone dopes, but a majority of the probably do. The Schleck bros. were very questionable last year.

If you don't think top riders dope, take a look at this chart I made of every overall Tour podium since 1996.

Key:

Red - Caught doping
Orange - Believed of be doping/inconclusive positive evidence/accusations
Green - Believed to be clean/no positive tests

1996- Riis, Ullrich, Virenque
1997- Ullrich, Virenque, Pantani
1998 - Pantani, Ullrich, Julich
1999 - Armstrong, Zuile, Escartin
2000 - Armstrong, Ullrich, Beloki
2001 - Armstrong, Ullrich, Beloki
2002 - Armstrong, Beloki, Rumsas
2003 - Armstrong, Ullrich, Vinokourov
2004 - Armstrong, Kloden, Basso
2005 - Armstrong, Basso, Ullrich
2006 - Landis, Pererio, Kloden
2007 - Contador, Evans, Leipheimer
2008 - Sastre, Evans, Kohl

You could make a very strong case that between 1996 and 2006, out of the 30 riders who finished on the overall podium, only 3 were clean.

great post and research. armstrong should be read too though, no amount of legal wrangling can cover up those failed epo and corticoid tests. leipheimer too is a known doper. pretty much everyone who raced on any lance team is. heres a fun article

Non-Doping Cyclists Finish Tour De France | The Onion - America's Finest News Source

jimmypop said:
You know it.

Yeah, Leipheimer has been attached to a positive in a U.S. race. It was years ago, I think, and was eventually shuffled away.

Anyone have the details on this?
US crit champs? He won it? He was riding for a Bagels sponsor? Or was that in HelmutRooleII's fiction piece? Faction lol not fiction.

It was a steroid?

'Bout 98?

zander1983 said:
great post and research. armstrong should be read too though, no amount of legal wrangling can cover up those failed epo and corticoid tests. leipheimer too is a known doper. pretty much everyone who raced on any lance team is.

Escartin was at Kelme, should be marked in orange on the list.

classic1 said:
Escartin was at Kelme, should be marked in orange on the list.

that stood out.

The only one with some doubt, would be Evans. But heard from the Dutch journo who used to post here, he worked with Ferrari. But the journo coulda conflated Rogers and Evans.

Sastre at ONCE and CSC. Can anyone seriously believe he was clean.

Evans was on Mapei, T-Mobile. But hear the 2004 Vuelta, where everyone pulled out, Vino and the rest, besides Evans, Konecny, and Zabel, that it was the ol' food poisoning euphemism. Food poisoning with bad blood transfusions. But Zabel, Evans and Konecny, did not get the transfusion. Vino and the other Germans did.

zander1983 said:
great post and research. armstrong should be read too though, no amount of legal wrangling can cover up those failed epo and corticoid tests. leipheimer too is a known doper. pretty much everyone who raced on any lance team is. heres a fun article

Non-Doping Cyclists Finish Tour De France | The Onion - America's Finest News Source
dont think Beloki was positive? did not he just retire after bouygues?

And Pereiro had a salbutamol positive, like Petacchi. Plus on the Phonak transfusions when he was there.

At least we can talk about this here.

I was banned from the CN forums for 2 years starting today. The ban will be lifted: 07-25-11 2100

Hahaha!

zander1983 said:
spot on. the list of dopers who never failed a test in their entire life is endless - marion jones, carl lewis, michelle smith, michael rasmussen, bjarne riis, ivan basso, davey miller etc etc. negative dope test means less and less these days

Richard Virenque and the Festina team, the PDM team.

My question is why don't baseball, football, basketball and others have to be tested everytime they turn around. It's like bikers have to adhere to such strict rules. If they have to be tested and they aren't around they had better have a damn good excuse. They always make bikers answer to such scrutiny. When we have many felons playing football. When they catch bikers doping their career is screwed, because they get no endorsements. It's not like basketball where you can be accused of rape and still be able to endorse products. Would Lance Armstrong still be racing bikes if he was charged with rape? No way.

Grater said:

I was banned from the CN forums for 2 years starting today. The ban will be lifted: 07-25-11 2100

Hahaha!

YOU got banned there? You're probably one of the most vanilla posters I've seen on any forum. What happened? Did you exceed your quota of predictions?

Seriously what happened?

Grater said:

Hahaha!
So you doped... Two years ban + two more for posting in Pro Tour section.

Cobblestones said:
YOU got banned there? You're probably one of the most vanilla posters I've seen on any forum. What happened? Did you exceed your quota of predictions?

Seriously what happened?

What happened is they lost a good level headed poster.

bicycledick said:
My question is why don't baseball, football, basketball and others have to be tested everytime they turn around. It's like bikers have to adhere to such strict rules. If they have to be tested and they aren't around they had better have a damn good excuse. They always make bikers answer to such scrutiny. When we have many felons playing football. When they catch bikers doping their career is screwed, because they get no endorsements. It's not like basketball where you can be accused of rape and still be able to endorse products. Would Lance Armstrong still be racing bikes if he was charged with rape? No way.

With your screenname, I hesitate to even take your comments seriously but I'm going to overlook that issue for a moment.

To address your emotional rant directed at football and basketball - interesting you didn't include baseball, professional soccer, weightlifting, biathlon, pro wrestling, etc. in your little rant. I'm pretty sure I know the reason why as the majority constituents of pro football and basketball are fairly easy to distinguish, but I'll overlook that issue too for the moment.

1. This argument "they're picking on us and allowing the other sports to get away with proverbial murder" is silly. Only in cycling is/has doping been so well established/entrenched/condoned/promoted that you're almost castigated by your management and other racers if you don't dope. That attitude is changing - maybe.

As a former pro football player, I KNOW that taking steroids was NOT a rampant entity on any of the several teams I played for. The same can not be said of doping for most pro cycling teams.

Pro cycling needs to focus on its own dirty laundry and messy backyard rather than trying to put things in perspective by looking over the fence and pointing the dirty finger at other sports' messy backyard. Doing serves no purpose in cleaning up pro cycling. All it does is provide fuel and traction for rationalization the pervasive doping in pro cycling.

2. Who is this "they" to which you refer? The media? The UCI? The World Anti-Doping Agency. You personally? Probably not you as you seem to sympathize with the doping in pro cycling. If it's media, then "they"'ve also hounded track and field as well as cyclists.

3. Your attitude attempts to make pro cycling's dopers out as unfairly scrutinized victims, and this is the furthest thing from the truth. Dopers are selfish cheats and frauds that are taking money out of the pockets of clean pro racers - if there really is/are such a thing, and the sport as a whole as sponsor money is leaving/has left cycling because of the tarnished rep of pro cycling.

Doping takes alot of complicity on a number of levels (doctors, soigneurs, directors, management, etc...) and I don't believe there are single, rogue pro racers that are doing their dope such a manner that no one else knows. Dopers - in any sport - "make their bed" and they should "lay in it" when they're busted.

4. Get your facts straight before you start making wild accusations. I'd like for you to name a few of the "many" convicted felon pro football players. There are maybe 2300 or so pro football players, so what constitutes "many"?

5. Think about it for a moment - you're "accused" of something, but not convicted. Should YOU lose endorsements because someone said you committed a crime that you did not commit?

I'll stop at this juncture as I'm sure I've made my point and don't feel like expending any further energy on this lame argument...

Cobblestones said:

Seriously what happened?

I think it's because of what I said. You know how we can joke on here - like I mentioned that stuff about Armstrong in the "Is he paying people thread?". Well, I stepped over the mark.

WBT started the topic, will Armstrong help Armstrong up Ventoux. I then said the following. "Yes he will. He's doing what he did since 1999, dope. He took his EPO dose yesterday morning in preparation for today. He'll be fine."

If I said that here, we'd be fine. Nothing will happen!

Naturally, they probably **** themselves, deleted the comment and then banned me.

I think that's what it was for. Unless they got sick of me bagging the **** out of Phil Liggett. Who, mind you, makes at least 1000 mistakes every race he calls!

Football players have always taken steroids. Bikers can't take vitamins or any kind of supplement. The bikers are the true athletes. Football players are boneheads. Phil Liggett doens't make mistakes like that does he?
The biggest crime is that this foundation of Lance's to cure cancer is a joke. A bottle of food grade hydrogen peroxide or hemp oil and you're good to go. The cancer industry is using Lance Armstrong. I hope Lance will learn the truth and come out and let people know the cancer industry is one big lie.

Grater said:

Hahaha!

Awesome.

Football players, basketball players and baseball players work about 1% as much as long distance bicyclers. They shouldn't have to take steroids. The only ones close are the long distance runners. These people work. While football players run 20' and stop and huddle. Football, baseball and basketball I don't know which one is the biggest joke.

jimmypop said:

I find it ironic that those who have right-wing, conservative tendencies tend to get all liberal in support of riders' rights when the issue of doping comes up. Conversely, those who have more liberal leanings tend to think that most GT contenders are doped. My conclusion? Right-wingers love fantasies.

Your conservative/liberal theory is incorrect. :)

I'm not defending them. But steroids are illegal and WWF wrestlers and body builders use them. Why are they so strict on bike riders. I mean if you use something that's not banned. Maybe it's just something natural why is is such a big deal.