Who Don't Cycling Tights Have Zippers?

BobCochran

May 3, 2015
Hello friends!

My 22 mile ride yesterday in rather cool Maryland reinforces my need to purchase cycling tights. I have a question, how come they don't seem to have zippers? I suppose I just push everything down my butt when I need to pee?

Thanks a ton

Bob

"how come they don't seem to have zippers?"

1. Cut an zipper out of an old jersey.
2. Stuff it down the front of your tights.
3. Ride 50 miles.
4. Report back to us how the ride went after your skin grafts heal.

I would imply the same as the poster above that it would make a skin itchy and cause wounds in a long run.

A zipper would definitely be convenient, especially when one needs to relieve themselves. I guess, the folks that design cycling tights have figured out that there are a few negative aspect to this. Perhaps, a zipper would be uncomfortable. It may cause friction against the skin, considering how close it would be to a person's skin and most sensitive parts.

CAMPYBOB said:
"how come they don't seem to have zippers?"

1. Cut an zipper out of an old jersey.
2. Stuff it down the front of your tights.
3. Ride 50 miles.
4. Report back to us how the ride went after your skin grafts heal.
Just the mere though of that is making me wince a little, in a similar fashion to the classic though of running along a paper edge...

Thinking about it I guess this also explains why you never see jogging bottoms with zippers on them.

Oh but they do have zippers. Of course they are down at the bottom of the ankles but some of us are just that blessed! :p :lol:

Mr. Beanz said:
Oh but they do have zippers. Of course they are down at the bottom of the ankles but some of us are just that blessed! :p :lol:
"Is that your leg or are you just pleased to see me?" ;) :D

Reactions: Mr. Beanz
The so called cycling shorts is unique in a sense that it is like a skin - you get into it and that's all there is, no buttons, no zipper. One rider said that it was designed like that so the cyclist would not feel any obstacle to his lower part. A zipper may interfere with the lower torso and a button may be irritating hence the buttonless and zipperless shorts was designed for cycling purposes. Sometimes I ride with jogging pants that have zippered pockets and it's just all right with me.

I did buy some Nashbar tights. When the cold strikes, the tights are on, and I need the toilet, I will exercise my usual legendary ability to find a sufficiently private bush.

Bob

mpre53 said:
You don't need to pull down the back---just pull the front down far enough to let Mr. Winky hang over the top hem. :lol:
But that's just asking for a wet patch to appear on your shorts when you stick him back in his home :D

The material of the tights or shorts is too thin to hold the zipper I guess. I also have the same issue when I have to pee I was thinking if they can create a pocket in the inseam.

I think it would just be uncomfortable, and since tights tend be be stretchy and elastic a zipper isn't really necessary for fit or ease of wear. As a girl I'm used to having to pull my tights down to pee, so unfortunately I can't offer much advice :p

sunshiney said:
I think it would just be uncomfortable, and since tights tend be be stretchy and elastic a zipper isn't really necessary for fit or ease of wear. As a girl I'm used to having to pull my tights down to pee, so unfortunately I can't offer much advice :p
Thank you! You saved me from having to say the same thing.

mpre53 said:
You don't need to pull down the back---just pull the front down far enough to let Mr. Winky hang over the top hem. :lol:
Yes, this is all you have to do. They stretch enough that you can do this. Although some are cut lower then others and some tend to stretch more easily then others.