Who has ridden Scandium?

moe42171

Apr 20, 2004
I am looking at buying a used Wilier full Easton Scandium frame will full Daytona components? I think I have finally gotten over the fact that it is Daytona components when several people have told me they are pretty much equal to the Ultegra I currently ride with, but now I am concerned about the Scandium. What is the ride quality like? Is it hard on you like aluminum or more like steel? What is the weight and stiffness like? My local bike shop guy talked it down saying it is just aluminum but after research I see that it is more comfortable because of the smaller tubes. I think he just wants to sell me something at his shop. Anyone have any first hand knowledge of Easton Scandium frames? Thanks for any responses.

Originally posted by moe42171
I am looking at buying a used Wilier full Easton Scandium frame will full Daytona components? I think I have finally gotten over the fact that it is Daytona components when several people have told me they are pretty much equal to the Ultegra I currently ride with, but now I am concerned about the Scandium. What is the ride quality like? Is it hard on you like aluminum or more like steel? What is the weight and stiffness like? My local bike shop guy talked it down saying it is just aluminum but after research I see that it is more comfortable because of the smaller tubes. I think he just wants to sell me something at his shop. Anyone have any first hand knowledge of Easton Scandium frames? Thanks for any responses.
All scandium tubesets are not the same, so you cannot generalize,and since ride is subjective,no one else can tell you how you will like it. Better ride it yourself and decide. As a generalization(and don't take this to the bank), Scandium frames are often described as more mello than many other aluminum ones.There are also oppsite opinions depending on the specific frame and test rider.

Originally posted by boudreaux
All scandium tubesets are not the same, so you cannot generalize,and since ride is subjective,no one else can tell you how you will like it. Better ride it yourself and decide. As a generalization(and don't take this to the bank), Scandium frames are often described as more mello than many other aluminum ones.There are also oppsite opinions depending on the specific frame and test rider.

Thanks for the response, it is impossible to test ride it as this would be an internet purchase, but I am sure the ride is probably better than my 15 year old steel Tommasini Diamante which I still love but I am noticing flex when I pedal hard on that and I would say it probably weighs in at about 23 pounds with newer Ultegra.

I have a frame that is made from Easton SC7000 Scandium. For me, the quality of the ride is very good. It has a carbon fork and carbon chain stays, and I would say it is very comparable to my full carbon frame bicycle. Scandium is a very forgiving alluminum alloy, very lightweight, and minimal flex. While some frames made of Scandium have smaller tubes, mine are oversized.

But, as Boudreaux mentioned, ride is subjective. Too bad you can't take it for a test ride.