Who has Specialized "Armadillo" tires in stock now?

Meditationman

Guest
From "no flat" postings, this tire seems to be the 'best solution'. However, there isn't a store
that has it in stock in our town.

Also, is it true that the Armadillo's are going to be replaced by "Flak Jacket"? If so, what's the
difference?

[email protected] (MeditationMan) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> From "no flat" postings, this tire seems to be the 'best solution'. However, there isn't a store
> that has it in stock in our town.
>
> Also, is it true that the Armadillo's are going to be replaced by "Flak Jacket"? If so, what's the
> difference?

You can order them directly from Specialized website

http://www.specialized.com/SBCEqSection.jsp?sid=04EquipTiresArmadillo

The price hasn't gone up since 1999. I live in San Diego and since Performance bike bought up most
of the local bike shops I can't find a store that stocks them either.

Tom

MeditationMan wrote:
> From "no flat" postings, this tire seems to be the 'best solution'. However, there isn't a store
> that has it in stock in our town.
>
> Also, is it true that the Armadillo's are going to be replaced by "Flak Jacket"? If so, what's the
> difference?

No, the Armadillo tires will remain. The Armadillo tires have a puncture-resistant casing that goes
from bead-to-bead.

Flak Jacket refers to the puncture protection system on most of Specialized's non-Armadillo
tires. It is a kevlar belt that runs under the tread. Unlike the kevlar belts offered by most
manufacturers, the Flak Jacket belt is formed with a system that seals the holes in the
kevlar weave.

Most kevlar belts work very well against cuts but not as well against punctures since a thorn or
tack can work its way through the weave of the kevlar fabric. Flak Jacket works better than most in
this regard.

Todd Kuzma Heron Bicycles Tullio's Big Dog Cyclery LaSalle, Il 815-223-1776
http://www.heronbicycles.com http://www.tullios.com