Who has used a Tacx "Exact" truing stand?

tafi

Jul 31, 2003
I like being able to build and true my own wheels but, finding a quality truing stand is difficult.

I'm grateful that my old employer allows me some time on their Park TS2 stand. It is a joy to use. But having to go into town and back to do this is a pain (and uncomfortable if it is a friend's rather than my own wheels that I'm building).

I have built a pretty solid front wheel at home using an old fork (since sold with its frame) and a brake caliper which worked well. But i need something which will work for a rear wheel too.

Ideally I'd love my own Park TS2 (perhaps I have been spoiled) and it is almost affordable, but still expensive and really bulky for storage in a small space.

Tacx sell their "Exact wheel truing stand" for less than 20% of the cost of a TS2, and it appears to have a smaller footprint, all the features which I usually have need for and clamps to a table. At that price I don't expect gold plated luxury but I do need it to be consistently usable once every month or so.

Has anyone used one and, if so, how does it go?

Cheers

I have not used the Tacx Exact, but I have a Minoura Workman Pro. They seem to be comraratively priced. and their truing surfaces are similar. I am very pleased with the Minoura for both wheel building and trueing. I am sure that the Tacx is just as good for the job.

It appears that the main difference between the Tacx and Minoura is that the Minoura comes with a stand rather than being clamped on a bench top. The Minoura auto centers the rim to the hub so you really don't need a dishing tool. I don't know if the Tacx has this feature but I have not seen it mentioned in any of the reviews that I have seen. The Minoura does fold for storage, but not as small as the Tacx.

Thanks.
I've seen the minoura item too, but I am a little skeptical of the "self centring" feature. I had always thought that stands had to be calibrated periodically to achieve this anyway.

At any rate you can dish a wheel by truing to one side and flipping the wheel over. When dished properly the rim will lie in the same plane no matter which way it is flipped.

How does the Minoura stand clamp the hub in place? Do you need to physically spread the legs apart (as you do for the Tacx) or is there a knob for adjustment?

Thanks again.

The hub is clamped in place using its fasteners, nuts and washers or QR skewer, to lightly but firmly hold it in place. You don't need a lot of pressure since you are only truing the wheel.

The legs are physically spread. There is a robust linkage in the base that ensures that they stay centered as they are spread.

The trueing gages are mounted on a 10" long U-shaped bracket made of a 3/8" steel bar. This can be moved to bring the gages to the wheel so that you can work on any diameter wheel. There is a centering attachment included with the stand so that you can ensure the gages are centered to the legs. If any adjustments are needed, there are two screws on the back of the gages that allow you to loosen and move the gage to the right or left to get it in center.