who has used paclite?

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Al, Dec 19, 2004.

  1. Al

    Al Guest

    Hi

    I am in the market for a new waterproof. I am considering a Berghaus
    Sullivan III because I liked the Sullivan II I had, apart from it being
    faulty (Berghaus have refunded me). This was due to my being unimpressed
    with the general waterproof ability and repellancy .That material has been
    on the markeyt less than a year so I suspect they have had a few complaints.
    I am also considering a berghaus paclite jacket because of the lower weight,
    but am concerned at the durability of the material when a rucksack is worn
    for backpacking e.g. on the pennine way next May. Has anyone used Paclite
    long enough to make a comment on it's durability?

    Rgsd Alan

    Tags:

  2. Peewiglet

    Peewiglet Guest

    On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 17:01:48 -0000, "Al" <[email protected]> wrote:

    [...]
    >I am in the market for a new waterproof. I am considering a Berghaus
    >Sullivan III because I liked the Sullivan II I had, apart from it being
    >faulty (Berghaus have refunded me). This was due to my being unimpressed
    >with the general waterproof ability and repellancy .That material has been
    >on the markeyt less than a year so I suspect they have had a few complaints.
    >I am also considering a berghaus paclite jacket because of the lower weight,
    >but am concerned at the durability of the material when a rucksack is worn
    >for backpacking e.g. on the pennine way next May. Has anyone used Paclite
    >long enough to make a comment on it's durability?

    Hi there,

    I used Berghaus Paclite trousers with Karrimor Paclite jacket on the
    Pennine Way this summer, and didn't have a problem with either. There
    was a lot of rain in the first 5 or 6 days, and after that just a
    couple of consistently wet days. I was happy with my waterproofs,
    though, and plan to take them on a further 2 week walk next May.

    Best wishes,
    --
    ,,
    (**)PeeWiglet~~

  3. C L Imber

    C L Imber Guest

    On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 17:01:48 -0000, "Al" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hi
    >
    >I am in the market for a new waterproof. I am considering a Berghaus
    >Sullivan III because I liked the Sullivan II I had, apart from it being
    >faulty (Berghaus have refunded me). This was due to my being unimpressed
    >with the general waterproof ability and repellancy .That material has been
    >on the markeyt less than a year so I suspect they have had a few complaints.
    >I am also considering a berghaus paclite jacket because of the lower weight,
    >but am concerned at the durability of the material when a rucksack is worn
    >for backpacking e.g. on the pennine way next May. Has anyone used Paclite
    >long enough to make a comment on it's durability?

    I bought a Mountain Equipment Paclite 18 months ago. It has had light
    use, mainly carried in a rucksack for the eventuality of summer
    storms. The two layers have delaminated around the shoulders along
    the lines of rucksack straps.

  4. Darren G

    Darren G Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...
    > Hi
    >
    > I am in the market for a new waterproof. I am considering a Berghaus
    > Sullivan III because I liked the Sullivan II I had, apart from it being
    > faulty (Berghaus have refunded me). This was due to my being unimpressed
    > with the general waterproof ability and repellancy .That material has been
    > on the markeyt less than a year so I suspect they have had a few complaints.
    > I am also considering a berghaus paclite jacket because of the lower weight,
    > but am concerned at the durability of the material when a rucksack is worn
    > for backpacking e.g. on the pennine way next May. Has anyone used Paclite
    > long enough to make a comment on it's durability?

    Been using an ME Matrix quite heavily for the last few months, including
    some heavy scrambling, and have been very impressed with it. This
    jacket though has the stronger Gore XCR at the key wear points
    (shoulders for pack, forearm for scrambling, etc) in addition to Paclite
    elsewhere. It was this added durability that led me to buy it and I've
    been very impressed with it so far. I think a couple of other
    manufacturers are now doing the same by combining paclite & XCR for the
    best of both worlds.

    HTH

    --
    Darren

  5. Carl

    Carl Guest

    >I bought a Mountain Equipment Paclite 18 months ago. It has had light
    >use, mainly carried in a rucksack for the eventuality of summer
    >storms. The two layers have delaminated around the shoulders along
    >the lines of rucksack straps.

    Does this actualy make a noticeable affect on the performance of the
    jacket ? with it only being in the area that gets the straps ?

  6. C L Imber

    C L Imber Guest

    On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 18:27:34 +0000, Carl <[email protected]> wrote:

    >>I bought a Mountain Equipment Paclite 18 months ago. It has had light
    >>use, mainly carried in a rucksack for the eventuality of summer
    >>storms. The two layers have delaminated around the shoulders along
    >>the lines of rucksack straps.

    >Does this actualy make a noticeable affect on the performance of the
    >jacket ? with it only being in the area that gets the straps ?

    Good question, and one that I can'r answer. However, it does seem
    certain that the delamination will spread.

  7. Al

    Al Guest

    "Darren G" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > Been using an ME Matrix quite heavily for the last few months, including
    > some heavy scrambling, and have been very impressed with it. This
    > jacket though has the stronger Gore XCR at the key wear points
    > (shoulders for pack, forearm for scrambling, etc) in addition to Paclite
    > elsewhere. It was this added durability that led me to buy it and I've
    > been very impressed with it so far. I think a couple of other
    > manufacturers are now doing the same by combining paclite & XCR for the
    > best of both worlds.

    Thanks to all for replying. Darren I've just looked at a review on Outdoors
    magic about this jacket and I like the sound of it, especially the hood
    design bit, which usually drives me nuts if I have to use it. A hood that
    moves with you sounds good. I don't suppose you had a chance to compare it
    with a Montane Superfly jacket that I've just been reading about which is
    supposed to be the Dogs doodahs according to some sources. I was thinking of
    adding it to my shortlist.

    Rgds Alan

  8. Sean McMahon

    Sean McMahon Guest

    I have used a Berghaus paclite jacket ('old' paclite) fro two years and
    the trousers ('new' paclite) for one and have found them excellent for
    summer use - no problems at all with water repellency etc.
    Regards,
    Sean
    http://www.stridingedge.net

  9. Darren G

    Darren G Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...

    > "Darren G" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > Been using an ME Matrix quite heavily for the last few months, including
    > > some heavy scrambling, and have been very impressed with it. This
    > > jacket though has the stronger Gore XCR at the key wear points
    > > (shoulders for pack, forearm for scrambling, etc) in addition to Paclite
    > > elsewhere. It was this added durability that led me to buy it and I've
    > > been very impressed with it so far. I think a couple of other
    > > manufacturers are now doing the same by combining paclite & XCR for the
    > > best of both worlds.

    > Thanks to all for replying. Darren I've just looked at a review on Outdoors
    > magic

    Was it mine?! I think I put one on there.

    > about this jacket and I like the sound of it, especially the hood
    > design bit, which usually drives me nuts if I have to use it. A hood that
    > moves with you sounds good.

    The hood is superb! Don't really know its there (other than your head
    is dry!)

    > I don't suppose you had a chance to compare it
    > with a Montane Superfly jacket that I've just been reading about which is
    > supposed to be the Dogs doodahs according to some sources. I was thinking of
    > adding it to my shortlist.

    funny you should say that! I had a Superfly first and sent it back,
    mainly because the fit was very poor (on me). I found that the
    shoulders were tight (I'm quite broad across the shoulder) and I felt
    that it would impede my movement if I was wearing it with several
    layers. And the hood was lousy on me. It was a really tight fit and
    just didn't move with me. There was no way I could even consider a
    helmet underneath it (although it wasn't meant for one - on the winter
    edition they have a hood that is supposed to take a helmet, although if
    they have just scaled it up I would suspect it is still a tight fit)

    I had got the Superfly mail order and then went into my local gear shop
    who had had their first & only matrix delivered about 2 hours earlier.
    I tried it on along with the ME paclite shell and they both were so much
    better fitting. And for the extra 20 quid, the durability of the Matrix
    did it for me. Within 2 hours of it coming in, the shop had sold their
    only one!

    To be fair, the Superfly seemed like a very well designed and featured
    jacket (and eVent is meant to be even more breathable than paclite) and
    for someone of a less heavy build it might be a good solution.

    --
    Darren

  10. Al

    Al Guest

    "Darren G" <[email protected]> wrote in message >
    > funny you should say that! I had a Superfly first and sent it back,
    > mainly because the fit was very poor (on me). I found that the
    > shoulders were tight (I'm quite broad across the shoulder) and I felt
    > that it would impede my movement if I was wearing it with several
    > layers. And the hood was lousy on me. It was a really tight fit and
    > just didn't move with me. There was no way I could even consider a
    > helmet underneath it (although it wasn't meant for one - on the winter
    > edition they have a hood that is supposed to take a helmet, although if
    > they have just scaled it up I would suspect it is still a tight fit)
    >
    > I had got the Superfly mail order and then went into my local gear shop
    > who had had their first & only matrix delivered about 2 hours earlier.
    > I tried it on along with the ME paclite shell and they both were so much
    > better fitting. And for the extra 20 quid, the durability of the Matrix
    > did it for me. Within 2 hours of it coming in, the shop had sold their
    > only one!
    >
    > To be fair, the Superfly seemed like a very well designed and featured
    > jacket (and eVent is meant to be even more breathable than paclite) and
    > for someone of a less heavy build it might be a good solution.

    Damn, you're a good salesman, you sure you haven't got shares in ME.
    Seriously though, it seems as if this jacket would suit all my requirements.
    Loose fit to get fleeces under if required, I hate tight fit anyway even on
    gear that's suppose to be tight, hood that works, pockets, lightweight/
    durability in balance, adjust fit to not billow out front. Seems my
    shortlist is very short now. I found the XCR fabric to be very breathable
    for the short number of times that I used it. just for the record I'm not
    heavy build as such, just my bones are heavy. I'm going to checkout the
    jacket next week if I can find one, and I'll let you know the outcome.

    rgds Alan

  11. Darren G

    Darren G Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...

    > "Darren G" <[email protected]> wrote in message >
    > > funny you should say that! I had a Superfly first and sent it back,
    > > mainly because the fit was very poor (on me). I found that the
    > > shoulders were tight (I'm quite broad across the shoulder) and I felt
    > > that it would impede my movement if I was wearing it with several
    > > layers. And the hood was lousy on me. It was a really tight fit and
    > > just didn't move with me. There was no way I could even consider a
    > > helmet underneath it (although it wasn't meant for one - on the winter
    > > edition they have a hood that is supposed to take a helmet, although if
    > > they have just scaled it up I would suspect it is still a tight fit)
    > >
    > > I had got the Superfly mail order and then went into my local gear shop
    > > who had had their first & only matrix delivered about 2 hours earlier.
    > > I tried it on along with the ME paclite shell and they both were so much
    > > better fitting. And for the extra 20 quid, the durability of the Matrix
    > > did it for me. Within 2 hours of it coming in, the shop had sold their
    > > only one!
    > >
    > > To be fair, the Superfly seemed like a very well designed and featured
    > > jacket (and eVent is meant to be even more breathable than paclite) and
    > > for someone of a less heavy build it might be a good solution.

    > Damn, you're a good salesman, you sure you haven't got shares in ME.
    > Seriously though, it seems as if this jacket would suit all my requirements.
    > Loose fit to get fleeces under if required, I hate tight fit anyway even on
    > gear that's suppose to be tight, hood that works, pockets, lightweight/
    > durability in balance, adjust fit to not billow out front. Seems my
    > shortlist is very short now. I found the XCR fabric to be very breathable
    > for the short number of times that I used it. just for the record I'm not
    > heavy build as such, just my bones are heavy. I'm going to checkout the
    > jacket next week if I can find one, and I'll let you know the outcome.

    I'll stick in my commission claim then :)

    I'm just an ME nut - it just does the job for me and is made to my body
    shape. If you see anyone pretty much in ME gear head to toe, it's
    probably me :)

    --
    Darren

  12. Mike Clark

    Mike Clark Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Al
    <URL:mailto:[email protected]> wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I am in the market for a new waterproof. I am considering a Berghaus
    > Sullivan III because I liked the Sullivan II I had, apart from it
    > being faulty (Berghaus have refunded me). This was due to my being
    > unimpressed with the general waterproof ability and repellancy .That
    > material has been on the markeyt less than a year so I suspect they
    > have had a few complaints. I am also considering a berghaus paclite
    > jacket because of the lower weight, but am concerned at the
    > durability of the material when a rucksack is worn for backpacking
    > e.g. on the pennine way next May. Has anyone used Paclite long enough
    > to make a comment on it's durability?
    >
    > Rgsd Alan

    Yes I've been using a Mountain Equipment (paclite) Firefly jacket and
    Berghaus paclite overtrousers all summer and think they are great.
    However as intended the jacket has stayed in the rucksack except for
    when needed in heavy rain. I also have a slightly heavier XCR jacket for
    winter mountaineering and ski-mountaineering use. No problems so far
    with the paclite but if I was buying now I'd seriously consider the ME
    Matrix jacket because of the use of XCR at the key wear points.

    Mike <URL:http://www.path.cam.ac.uk/~mrc7/>
    --
    o/ \\ // |\ ,_ o Mike Clark
    <\__,\\ // __o | \ / /\, "A mountain climbing, cycling, skiing,

  13. Al

    Al Guest

    "Mike Clark" <[email protected]> wrote in message > Yes I've been using a
    Mountain Equipment (paclite) Firefly jacket and
    > Berghaus paclite overtrousers all summer and think they are great.
    > However as intended the jacket has stayed in the rucksack except for
    > when needed in heavy rain. I also have a slightly heavier XCR jacket for
    > winter mountaineering and ski-mountaineering use. No problems so far
    > with the paclite but if I was buying now I'd seriously consider the ME
    > Matrix jacket because of the use of XCR at the key wear points.
    >

    > Mike

    Thanks Mike it's beginning to weigh the odds towards the ME.