who here also rides road ?

moparchris

Apr 13, 2004
yeap.. i was just wondering, i used to do some road racing but then i sold my bike (co-motion espresso, it hd ultegra and easton post, stem, bars etc.) to buy my DBR which is sortof dead now, im trying to sell it and i bought a giant XtC2 a few weeks ago im thinking of getting a road bike again as well though, probly a giant TCR 2 but anyway..

moparchris said:
yeap.. i was just wondering, i used to do some road racing but then i sold my bike (co-motion espresso, it hd ultegra and easton post, stem, bars etc.) to buy my DBR which is sortof dead now, im trying to sell it and i bought a giant XtC2 a few weeks ago im thinking of getting a road bike again as well though, probly a giant TCR 2 but anyway..

I really didn't begin to enjoy mountain biking until after I purchased a road bike. Never had to throw it into the truck and drive to a trailhead, just get on it and ride for an hour or two. When the weekends finally came, I suddenly found myself in better shape to ride the more technical trails. I'm no longer exhausted when I get to the top and don't have to worry about riding stupid on the way back down. Now I'm building up a solid commuter/cross bike so I can leave the car at home an extra day or two a week as well.

Yup...however it's still on an aincent Raleigh SuperCourse thats a few months older than I am (Bike was made May of 83, I was born in Dec)

I do it mainly to build a good aerobic base for MTB'ing and to avoid the beating my body takes on long runs. Plus it's fun!

other than riding my mountain bike on the road, i dont road bike. i always thought it kinda seemed boring not being able to jump stuff, or even get off of the road, but it is fun going fast. it seems like there is alot of people around that bike just for exercise. i see mountainbiking as having fun, and as a result getting stronger.

createdtodestry said:
it seems like there is alot of people around that bike just for exercise. i see mountainbiking as having fun, and as a result getting stronger.
For sure. MTB'ing is a lot more playful than road biking seems to be! Although you can jump stuff...you just shouldn't :D

you can jump stuff, but its extremely hard due to the seat being too high. have you ever ridden a road bike? when you stand up, your only like a few inches from the seat, so if you do try to jump you'll rack yourself on the seat. thats why i dont understand how xc guys would want there seat so tall, or why someone would buy like a 22 inch frame. just remember, next time your standing up and you jump or something causeing you to bend your knees, be glad your seat didnt get in the way.

if im gona spend a couple thousand on a street bike to race, its gona have a motor bolted to it.

In Melbourne Australia we’ve got a couple of single track trails within riding distance (less than 30min on a MTB) from the city centre (and most metro areas), so most guys can ride out to some trails when they’re got a few hours to kill. Sure they’re not too technical & don’t go for hours, but they give a good workout & try your technique.

createdtodestry said:
you can jump stuff, but its extremely hard due to the seat being too high. have you ever ridden a road bike? when you stand up, your only like a few inches from the seat, so if you do try to jump you'll rack yourself on the seat. thats why i dont understand how xc guys would want there seat so tall, or why someone would buy like a 22 inch frame. just remember, next time your standing up and you jump or something causeing you to bend your knees, be glad your seat didnt get in the way.

if im gona spend a couple thousand on a street bike to race, its gona have a motor bolted to it.

Road Biking improves your Mountain Biking.
Mountain Biking improves your Road Biking.

On the mountain bike, I sometimes get beat on the steepest of steep, but I've developed a road biker's spin. Last time I used it to absolutely destroy the remainder of my group on the infamous Moab Slick Rock trail when we started the longer 1st and 2nd gear climbs to get back out.

When I switch back to the road bike, I have mountain bike legs and most road riders can't ride the steepest of steep as well as I do. The ones that can are either serious racers or have been at some point. Mountain biking will also teach you to work your bike back and forth on the baddest of bad road surfaces.

All in all, I'm just a strong 41 yr. old who started riding too late. However, I will soon be selling my car (keeping the truck) and start bike commuting an additional 2000 miles per year with a 15-25 lb. load in addition to the current road and mountain regimen. Masters 35+ and Expert 40-49 here I come.

when im 41(if i make it there) i hope i can still ride. one of my dads friends still races road bikes. nothing too serious that i know of, but he is pry around 50.

I road bike in addition to Mt. Biking. In fact...I'm a little nervous to say..that I actually ride my road bike more now than I Mt. Bike even though I just started road riding this year and I've been a mt biker for about 12 years...kinda scary. OH MY GOD!! I THINK I'M TURNING INTO A ROADIE!!! AAHHH!! Ah hem, anyways.. Yeah, there's definatley a lot of thrill in cruising down a really technical trail, hopping stuff and what not, but I must say, hauling some serious a** down a steep mt. pass on a skinny tire going about 50mph will get the ole' adrenaline rush going quite well also! I think they're both awesome!

My first love is MTBing, but seems this year i have become a roadie of sorts,(though in my defence i do still wear my mtb shirt, does that count?)

Saturday's are my mtb days either racing or trail riding with some mates.

I somehow with lifes time contstraints have found that i can better manage the quality of my training on the road, and it still seems to roll over into the mtbing. 4500km's on the road this year , 1800 km's mtbing & 1320 km's on the indoor trainer, since January.

i saw someone mention older riders, my father in law is 63 and can on a good day still kick my youthfull 38 yr ass.

He's hardcore roadie, and something to aspire to in my hey day. :)

so i rode a road bike for the first time today. I am use to riding around on my big wheeled karate monkey single speed, and i can honestly say that i have never hurt so badly in my entire life, and i concider myself in pretty good shape! Never had a shower and a PBJ been so good after a ride. But i can honestly say that i will ride a road bike again tomorrow. Happy trails..... or roads!

I am a Roadie and I am getting into Mountain Biking also. I usually ride a 120 road miles on weekends and do some Intervals and Sprint training during the week. I can keep a 24 MPH average on a good road and can hold 28 MPH on the flats without much of a problem. Hopefully will be able to share a Mountainsmith Cairn with my father.( Deore and an XT rear derailluer, Marchozzi fork, DNM Hydraulic rear shock, Hayes Disk Brakes, WTB Alloy speed disk rims)

I am a Roadie and I am getting into Mountain Biking also. I usually ride 120 road miles on weekends and do some Intervals and Sprint training during the week. I can keep a 24 MPH average on a good road and can hold 28 MPH on the flats without much of a problem. Hopefully will be able to share a Mountainsmith Cairn with my father.( Deore and an XT rear derailluer, Marchozzi fork, DNM Hydraulic rear shock, Hayes Disk Brakes, WTB Alloy speed disk rims)

I am a ATB to roadie convert for 4 years now and for a year now got the 16k tt buzz. I now XC with my dually once a month 4 x-training.The rest of the month
I average around 500miles on asphalt.

I don't see how a serious rider could avoid NOT doing both. The complement each other so well. That said, I think Mtn Biking helps roadies more than the other way around.

I'm off road all "winter" (gotta love FL for that) and one day a week on the road when tri season approaches and all the way untill Nov.

moparchris said:

triguy98 said:
I don't see how a serious rider could avoid NOT doing both. The complement each other so well. That said, I think Mtn Biking helps roadies more than the other way around.

I'm off road all "winter" (gotta love FL for that) and one day a week on the road when tri season approaches and all the way untill Nov.
It's true. If you are a serious rider, doing both is extremely fulfilling. However, I saw more improvement in my mtn biking after I began road biking. Not only did my legs become stronger and my lungs as well, but my mental strength grew.

There were times when I rode the trails that I thought I need to stop, I was about to bonk. On the road, away from the danger of falling into the rocks or crashing into the trees, I would push harder and learn my own physical capacities. So when I returned to the trails, I KNEW I could go harder and farther.

Mountain Biking is a much tougher sport mentally. You must concentrate on more than your heart rate and cadence. You have a trail with a constantly changing landscape as well as little obstacles such as roots and rocks along with large obstacles such as dips, logs and bigger rocks.

If mtn. biking has improved my road biking in any way, it has been concentration. When I'm riding fast or in a group, I'm able to maintain an awareness of what is in front of me, what the bike is doing and what everyone else is doing...

In southeastern Pa, I have to ride road if im gonna ride regularly since we get soo much rain. Im not gonna make like im a girly girl and not get wet, I do like coming home from races with stencil lines from all the mud. But here its COLD. So in self defence of sanity, I ride the road and jump in a trail when it finally dries off enough. It is a thrill to use a true road bike at speed. The Mtb are like hummers on the road as opposed to ferraris.

Hummers ride nicer though and like to play. :D