who here doesn't race but shaves their legs?

Just as with my mechanical work, I'm not capable of doing even a half-way decent job of it. I leave it to the professionals.

As a former bodybuilder, been shaving for quite some time before I got serious about the bike. You just curious or you have a specific question? Triple blade razors are the only way to go.

Tried it once because all my riding buddies did and were getting on me about it (great reason, huh?)...next day out I suffered a good size gash in my leg. It was so easy to clean out and I didn't have bandages stuck to hairs...I'm converted.

I've just recently gotten into cycling which led me to this messageboard where I read other posts about shaving. So many differing opinions! I've had a jungle on my legs for years but after reading all the hype I decided to whack it all off. After doing so I did get some ingrown's but nothing hardcore enough to give me a reason to keep me from shaving again. I'm definitely converted...until I get lazy.

Just remember! It's only hair, it'll grow back, cut it all off and see how you like it.

Originally posted by Waldo
Tried it once because all my riding buddies did and were getting on me about it (great reason, huh?)...next day out I suffered a good size gash in my leg. It was so easy to clean out and I didn't have bandages stuck to hairs...I'm converted.

i've ridden dirtjump and freeride for years and you run far more of a risk of damage in that area than road, yet no shaving there. and whenever i've eaten it and opened myself up i just shaved around the wound.
reason i'm asking is because i don't understand the need for it at any level, and when i see these overweight dudes in prospect park with bare legs it just makes me think wtf?? you'd be a lot more aero if you lost 20lbs so what difference is a little leg hair gonna make?
my thinking is, if that's the idea (aero-ness) and you're weighing your food intake and at zero body fat and 125lbs at 5-11 then yeah, any advantage you can get at this point is gonna make a diff. but why do casual riders do it?
and please don't misread this as a diss to overweight riders - no better way IMO to get fit than to ride a bike, and i'm all about that - but shaving just seems, well, weird.

hmmm....

i have hardly any hair on my legs (or rather, my hair is so thin and so short and so widely spread out that most people have to come up close and squint to see it). yet, even though i am a woman, i don't shave.

however, i notice it when i have a scrape (or poison ivy) that needs to stay bandaged--those damned little hairs make it nearly impossible for the bandaging to stay on for more than a mile or two on the bike (depending on where it needs to stay on). still, i won't consider shaving because i believe it's the reason most women end up shaving--because the stubble is too rough to deal with.

... and if my boyfriend ever shaved his legs and didn't keep up on it, i don't think i'd be able to handle HIS rough stubble either.

Originally posted by brightgarden
hmmm....

i have hardly any hair on my legs (or rather, my hair is so thin and so short and so widely spread out that most people have to come up close and squint to see it). yet, even though i am a woman, i don't shave.

however, i notice it when i have a scrape (or poison ivy) that needs to stay bandaged--those damned little hairs make it nearly impossible for the bandaging to stay on for more than a mile or two on the bike (depending on where it needs to stay on). still, i won't consider shaving because i believe it's the reason most women end up shaving--because the stubble is too rough to deal with.

... and if my boyfriend ever shaved his legs and didn't keep up on it, i don't think i'd be able to handle HIS rough stubble either.

i'm not really buying this bandaging stuff. how often does your average non-racer roadie really drop his/her bike? again, by this thinking all freeriders would ddepilate their ENTIRE BODIES

Originally posted by eddiebrannan
i'm not really buying this bandaging stuff. how often does your average non-racer roadie really drop his/her bike? again, by this thinking all freeriders would ddepilate their ENTIRE BODIES

haha. i agree. it's not reason enough to shave.

I do it coz I like, if that makes me strange, then it's cool as I never wanted to be normall, have seen what to many normall people do ;-)
I ride for the hell of it, but race when I can