Who Is Bernard Tapie?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Chris M, Feb 17, 2003.

  1. Chris M

    Chris M Guest

    (Yeah, I know who he is.)

    There is a movie about BT on one of the cable channels. Has anyone seen it? I want to know if they
    talk about his cycling and other sports investments, and if it is worth watching.

    TIA.

    Tags:

  2. He's like John Wordin, but French and with more money.

    -RJ

  3. "Ronaldo Jeremiah" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > He's like John Wordin, but French and with more money.
    >
    > -RJ

    You'd think with more money he'd get his teeth fixed.

  4. Nick Burns

    Nick Burns Guest

    Oh, come on. I know you are joking but I never saw Bernard Tapie jump in to the La Vie Claire
    training rides with the full team kit on. He was rarely seen with the team. Not only that, but
    Bernard was the money behind the team, not the money scammer (although he did get in a bit of
    trouble over some kind of fraud allegations).

    "Ronaldo Jeremiah" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > He's like John Wordin, but French and with more money.
    >
    > -RJ

  5. Bart

    Bart Guest

    He's the kind of European tycoon who wants and does it all. Like Gil y Gil in Spain, and as
    perfected by Berlusconi in Italy: mega businessman, sports mecenas, politician, and dodgy
    connections to make it all work. Berlusconi has done so well he's in a position to keep the
    judiciary off. The others didn't get there.

    As for sports, Tapie was more high profile in soccer with Olympique Marseille.

  6. Bart wrote:

    > As for sports, Tapie was more high profile in soccer with Olympique Marseille.

    What was his sentence for bribery, embezzlement and corruption again? 2 years, 16 months suspended,
    I think he did 8 months inside. Then again, as a former French Cabinet minister, he was probably
    just using past experience. If you pay off other teams in cycling, you don't get accused of sports
    fraud, non? Oddly enough, he took Marseilles back again in 2001. STF

  7. holli

    holli New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 10, 2003
    Buying other teams is so common in cycling that everyone would be involved in it, one way or the other.

  8. Nick Burns

    Nick Burns Guest

    Who is the Italian that was known for wearing boots with his suits? He owns about half of FIAT along
    with many other huge Italian companies and he also got in to politics. He seems to me to be the
    trend setter. I just forgot his name.

    "Bart" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > He's the kind of European tycoon who wants and does it all. Like Gil y Gil in Spain, and as
    > perfected by Berlusconi in Italy: mega businessman, sports mecenas, politician, and dodgy
    > connections to make it all work. Berlusconi has done so well he's in a position to keep the
    > judiciary off. The others didn't get there.
    >
    > As for sports, Tapie was more high profile in soccer with Olympique Marseille.

  9. "Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Who is the Italian that was known for wearing boots with his suits? He
    owns
    > about half of FIAT along with many other huge Italian companies and he
    also
    > got in to politics. He seems to me to be the trend setter. I just forgot
    his
    > name.

    The recently expired Gianni Agnelli?

  10. Nick Burns