Who Is Bernard Tapie?

Chris M

Guest
(Yeah, I know who he is.)

There is a movie about BT on one of the cable channels. Has anyone seen it? I want to know if they
talk about his cycling and other sports investments, and if it is worth watching.

TIA.

He's like John Wordin, but French and with more money.

-RJ

Oh, come on. I know you are joking but I never saw Bernard Tapie jump in to the La Vie Claire
training rides with the full team kit on. He was rarely seen with the team. Not only that, but
Bernard was the money behind the team, not the money scammer (although he did get in a bit of
trouble over some kind of fraud allegations).

"Ronaldo Jeremiah" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> He's like John Wordin, but French and with more money.
>
> -RJ

He's the kind of European tycoon who wants and does it all. Like Gil y Gil in Spain, and as
perfected by Berlusconi in Italy: mega businessman, sports mecenas, politician, and dodgy
connections to make it all work. Berlusconi has done so well he's in a position to keep the
judiciary off. The others didn't get there.

As for sports, Tapie was more high profile in soccer with Olympique Marseille.

Bart wrote:

> As for sports, Tapie was more high profile in soccer with Olympique Marseille.

What was his sentence for bribery, embezzlement and corruption again? 2 years, 16 months suspended,
I think he did 8 months inside. Then again, as a former French Cabinet minister, he was probably
just using past experience. If you pay off other teams in cycling, you don't get accused of sports
fraud, non? Oddly enough, he took Marseilles back again in 2001. STF

Buying other teams is so common in cycling that everyone would be involved in it, one way or the other.

Who is the Italian that was known for wearing boots with his suits? He owns about half of FIAT along
with many other huge Italian companies and he also got in to politics. He seems to me to be the
trend setter. I just forgot his name.

"Bart" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> He's the kind of European tycoon who wants and does it all. Like Gil y Gil in Spain, and as
> perfected by Berlusconi in Italy: mega businessman, sports mecenas, politician, and dodgy
> connections to make it all work. Berlusconi has done so well he's in a position to keep the
> judiciary off. The others didn't get there.
>
> As for sports, Tapie was more high profile in soccer with Olympique Marseille.

"Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Who is the Italian that was known for wearing boots with his suits? He
owns
> about half of FIAT along with many other huge Italian companies and he
also
> got in to politics. He seems to me to be the trend setter. I just forgot
his
> name.

The recently expired Gianni Agnelli?

Yes, thanks.