Who is fatter; Ullrich or Armstrong ?

Discussion in 'Professional Cycling' started by whiteboytrash, Mar 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whiteboytrash

whiteboytrash New Member

Armstrong has just pulled out of the Paris-Nice... did anyone see photos of him ? There is no way he is as fit as he has been in previous years.... he looks very chunky.... why was he asking for Ullrich's photo to be sent to the team training camp when he is bigger around the waist then Ullrich..... ? Lance has spent to much time at the Oscar's and the Grammy's.... whats his story.... ?

Tags:

2. tcklyde

tcklyde New Member

There is absolutely no way to know. I thought the pictures looked fine. If others thought he looked fat, then so be it. Hey, Ulle isn't even bothering to race.

The Tour takes place in July, not March.

3. OLMO

OLMO New Member

He'll be in form in a couple of months.

4. ed073

ed073 New Member

He's wearing about 3 thermal jerseys, mate...it's -2 degrees.

Look at his face....still lean as anything.

5. tomkay

tomkay New Member

SOme people say he is overweight others say he isn't. I thought he looked like he was carrying a few extra pounds around his waistline (not necessarily his face). Also the fact he abandoned the race (they say he has a cold, maybe true maybe not) is also an indication he is not in his usual form for this time of year. This is the reason Ullrich is not racing yet. What is the point of racing when you know your not in good enough shape to be competitive yet? Abandoning a race halfway doesn't look good. As far as I can see both Lance and Ullrich are starting this year at about the same level. Should be interesting in July.

6. GuyStevens

GuyStevens New Member

Because racing gets you into shape. However, I'm surprised Armstrong used Paris-Nice as training, knowing full-well the weather is always atrocious.

7. ed073

ed073 New Member

Not always.....just 04 and 05...lol. :)

8. agv1839

agv1839 New Member

I think when the tour start he will be ready,but i dont think motivation is there any more like in the previous 6 it probably will make a different:cool:

9. whiteboytrash

whiteboytrash New Member

It's still far too early in the season for Bruyneel to panic. "Ach, Ullrich, Basso, Mayo and Heras have also barely raced yet. He's at their level, so what?"

He failed to mention Vino... he is racing in P-N and still in it !

Worried words me thinks......

10. gntlmn

gntlmn New Member

11. ed073

ed073 New Member

....:D....

12. bobke

bobke New Member

Recent pics of Ullrich show him to be very lean, the leanest I have seen him since he won the Tour. Gone are all those extra large leg muscles like he had been pumping iron all winter. When he won the Tour, his legs looked almost skinny.

I think Lance has noticed as well since he mentioned this in an interview.

I think this will be very close.

13. musette

musette New Member

Yep. Plus, dark blue (the USPS colors) look a lot more slimming, like black, that white/lighter blue/silver.

Meanwhile, more JU photos:

http://www.t-mobile-team.com/cms/tm...s/templateId=renderInternalPage/id=16658.html

14. wolfix

wolfix New Member

I think the reason Armstrong looks heavier then Ullrich is because he wearing "6" yellow jerseys under his Discovery kit to stay warm and Ullrich is wearing just one yellow jersey under his kit......... Just a thought.....

15. Orange Fish

Orange Fish New Member

I don't think it's possible for Lance to get as chubby as he looks in this amount of time, especially if he's even CONSIDERING racing seriously in 2005. Looks like he just has a lot of layers on. Hell, he has neoprene gloves on as well!! I wouldn't last 20 minutes in that weather!

16. gntlmn

gntlmn New Member

17. musette

musette New Member

From the TM website, in an article entitled "Landis eclipses Armstrong" on the T de Georgia ITT:

"Meanwhile, six-times Tour winner Lance Armstrong's (sic) could only manage a a disappointing ninth. Armstrong came home one minute and 46 seconds behind his former domestique-deluxe on the U.S. Postal team. "I'm disappointed," quipped Armstrong post race. "I didn't feel great but I thought I'd do a better ride. I'm disappointed and it shows I have some work to do. Sometimes it's nice to get a benchmark, whether it's a good one or a bad one. Clearly I didn't set a very good one today."

Armstrong's concerns
    Armstrong has left himself plenty to do over the final three stages of the Georgia Tour if he is to defend his crown. Another concern for the 33-year-old Texan is that his Tour preparations might not be on track. "I'm probably behind on fitness," admitted Armstrong. "Last year I definitely got a jump on fitness, and this year I was way behind. I thought I caught up but like I said, now I know I haven't and it's time to reevaluate the season. We've got about two and a half months."

18. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

I took a look at some of the Eurosport 1996/1997 video of the TDF recently (live footage, taped as it happened).
    And Jan Ullrich was riding superbly (he could have won the 1996 TDF, he was going that well, except he had to work for Riis, his team leader) and was really really lean.

Ullrich was 22/23 at the time but I take your point (and the Badgers point) he
    was an awful lot thinner than the 1998 version for example (and I met the 1998 version in Dublin Castle for the TDF Grand Depart).
    (and he was thin in 1998 but not as thin as he was in 1997/96).

http://www.cyclingforums.com/t467644.html

19. gntlmn

gntlmn New Member

He really has bulged out every year in the winter though, only to have to lose it all every time before the Tour. I think he did this in 1998 because I remember talking to a German couple who was vacationing here in Alaska that year. They said it was big, national news that Jan was partying big time in the winter and hogging down food like there was no tomorrow. They laughed and said he would not win the Tour. They were right.

What I'm wondering is whether Jan gained much weight this winter, 2004-5. Maybe he didn't. Maybe having his back up against the wall in the 2004 TdF and only mustering a disappointing (for him) 4th place was what it took to make him finally wake up. It will be interesting to see how he fares this year. If he does very well, maybe we'll hear this story at that time, that he had finally avoided the off season battle of the bulge.

20. Flyer

Flyer Banned

sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.