Who is he?

limerickman said:
Very much in the present my friend.

Or maybe this is your public stance, wolf ?

Bianchi and Pinarello actually.
Abd believe it or not I don't wear wollen jerseys either.

Cork ?
Haven't cycled St Patricks Hill in Cork - because Cork is about 70 miles from where I live.

1989 Worlds - well even Sean can't argue that result.

You are welcome to come over here anytime and I will indeed bring you over some of the terrain that produced the likes of Earley, Roche, Kelly and Shay Elliot.
My post was a compliment Limerickman, made to the statement that you have a historical outlook and can see the big picture of the TDF. I will come and bring you a woolen jersey from my local riding club.... You will never go back to lycra.... But I question your choice of bicycles. Bianchi & Pinarello are fantastic machines , but you are a English speaking fan .... It seems to me that a Bob Jackson , Metcalf, Claude Butler or even a IIKston built Raleigh would better suit the terrain over there. Unless of course you have political leanings of the kind that are not fond of the queen. Of course a discussion of that type would be in a politically charged forum.

I would love to ride the roads that Kelly rode. Ireland has always been my choice of a "actually on the bike" cycling vacation.....

wolfix said:
My post was a compliment Limerickman, made to the statement that you have a historical outlook and can see the big picture of the TDF. ....

I was being facetious, Wolf.

wolfix said:
I will come and bring you a woolen jersey from my local riding club.... You will never go back to lycra.... But I question your choice of bicycles. Bianchi & Pinarello are fantastic machines , but you are a English speaking fan .... It seems to me that a Bob Jackson , Metcalf, Claude Butler or even a IIKston built Raleigh would better suit the terrain over there. Unless of course you have political leanings of the kind that are not fond of the queen. Of course a discussion of that type would be in a politically charged forum.

A woollen jersey ? Do you cycle in a woollen jersey ?
If you cycled in a woollen jersey over here, with the amount of rain we get, you'd better pack several because they'd never dry out !

I have no political issues with her majesty or the bikes which her subjects manufacture (Raleigh sub-contract to the Far East, these days I think ?????).

You'd be surprised what people cycle over here - even bike brands from the New World are used here !

wolfix said:
I would love to ride the roads that Kelly rode. Ireland has always been my choice of a "actually on the bike" cycling vacation.....

I'll PM you on this :

limerickman said:
I was being facetious, Wolf. [QUOTE}

I know..... that can be a frustrating thing with the loss of voice inflection over the net.....
limerickman said:
A woollen jersey ? Do you cycle in a woollen jersey ?
Yes I do ....... And the reason is this....

[Raleigh sub-contract to the Far East, these days I think ?????).
I am a traditionalist.

People here ride everything too ...... I was surprised to read that Migual Indurain upon retirement went out and bought a Cannondale. I know it was a American brand anyway. We all want to ride something "exotic." I took to the British bicycles and English speaking riders because here in America, the only available reading on the subject of the European scene was written in English and about the English .....

cheapie said:
ha! even EM is saying, wtf is this limerick guy talking about? 7 in a row vs my record? i would be p3wnd by armstrong in the tdf!
You are stupid. 445 wins speaks for itself. Lance is a great Tour rider, but I would not say that the is the best. There are actually two candidates for this. While Merckx is obviously the greatest cyclist to ever live, Fausto Coppi could have set more records, but there was a little international relations issue called World War II. HE could have won the Tour at least five times had he not been fighting.

King Eddy is still the best though. He could attack like no other and had the desire to win EVERY day he raced.

Le_cannibale said:
You are stupid. 445 wins speaks for itself. Lance is a great Tour rider, but I would not say that the is the best. There are actually two candidates for this. While Merckx is obviously the greatest cyclist to ever live, Fausto Coppi could have set more records, but there was a little international relations issue called World War II. HE could have won the Tour at least five times had he not been fighting.

King Eddy is still the best though. He could attack like no other and had the desire to win EVERY day he raced.

and you are an asshole. :rolleyes:

what is it with people on this board attacking people they disagree with instead of merely arguing with the point that has been made, whether in jest or otherwise.

and i gotta say this...until king eddy un-retires his ass and wins another couple tdf's, lance is the king of the tdf. lance looks better this year than ever. who knows if he could tack on another next year if he didn't retire ?

only someone with their head in their nether regions would make the mistake of not recognizing lance's will to win. the difference between lance and the other greats? discipline. he does whatever it takes to prepare regardless of the cost to body. the time is past when all it took to win the grand tour was go apeshit and attack like a madman all of the time.

cheapie said:
and you are an asshole. :rolleyes:

what is it with people on this board attacking people they disagree with instead of merely arguing with the point that has been made, whether in jest or otherwise.

and i gotta say this...until king eddy un-retires his ass and wins another couple tdf's, lance is the king of the tdf. lance looks better this year than ever. who knows if he could tack on another next year if he didn't retire ?

only someone with their head in their nether regions would make the mistake of not recognizing lance's will to win. the difference between lance and the other greats? discipline. he does whatever it takes to prepare regardless of the cost to body. the time is past when all it took to win the grand tour was go apeshit and attack like a madman all of the time.

....and so speaks the voice of objective reasoning, eh ?

limerickman said:
....and so speaks the voice of objective reasoning, eh ?

are you saying that you're unbaised? i'm not claiming to be. i just tire of presenting an opinion and having personal attacks thrown at me. most forums don't put up with that and i'm not sure it's worth sticking around if people here freely rag on your nationality, mental capacity, etc.

i'm sorry i'm an american. i'm sorry i haven't been following cycling for as long as you have. i'm sorry most of my countrymen don't know jack about cycling. i'm sorry my favorite rider is kicking the **** out of the rest of the field and looks like he could continue to do so for a while. and i'm sorry he doesn't qualify as a "great" rider under your effed up criteria.

but realize this...until your vaunted old-school teams realize tactics have changed, our uncouth, inferior-riding, money-hungry, cycling-illiterate, and abrasive american team will be kicking tail.

cheapie said:

i just tire of presenting an opinion and having personal attacks thrown at me. most forums don't put up with that and i'm not sure it's worth sticking around if people here freely rag on your nationality, mental capacity, etc.

I didn't see anyone insulting or attacking you.

You called another poster an asshole.
The poster in question never mentioned you or attacked you.
He was discussing EM and Coppi.

cheapie said:

i'm sorry i'm an american. i'm sorry i haven't been following cycling for as long as you have. i'm sorry most of my countrymen don't know jack about cycling.

Believe me, we're all sorry too.

cheapie said:

but realize this...until your vaunted old-school teams realize tactics have changed, our uncouth, inferior-riding, money-hungry, cycling-illiterate, and abrasive american team will be kicking tail.

American team indeed.
How many of DC are, in fact, American ?

limerickman said:
I didn't see anyone insulting or attacking you.

You called another poster an asshole.
The poster in question never mentioned you or attacked you.
He was discussing EM and Coppi.

Believe me, we're all sorry too.

read the first words of his post.
you are stupid
my a$$hole comment was a reaction.

limerickman said:
American team indeed.
How many of DC are, in fact, American ?
american ownership. american sponsors. american leader. american fans. :rolleyes:

steve26 said:
I think that is just another great thing of watching the tour. You see some funny/crazy stuff.

What is the story behind that dresses like the devil?

He is a fan that has been coming since 1980 and has just become an accepted part of the tour.
Someone else may have more details than I.

cheapie said:
read the first words of his post. my a$$hole comment was a reaction.

[/size][/font]

Sack cloth and ashes for me : he did call you, stupid.
I missed that when I read his post initially.
mea culpa.

cheapie said:

american ownership. american sponsors. american leader. american fans.

...filled with non-American riders !

I don't want this whole discussion turned in to a Europe V America debate.
there is enough of that in the Soapbox.
OK there have been some heavy remarks made by pro/anti LA sides : but by and large I think the entire TDF debate in the Grand Tours - Giro - Tour de France - Vuelta a España category has been good.

Let's all keep it that way folks, alright ?
Thanks

steve26 said:
What is the story behind that dresses like the devil?
Have you guys/girls seen him in the Giro (I think) helmet commercial? That goes alot towards showing how far his celebrity has gone....

EDIT: here's the link....

http://www.giro.com/main.html

EDIT2: This is the best commercial I've seen watching tour. Tell the truth, we've all have moments like that in our minds....

L

jhuskey said:
He is a fan that has been coming since 1980 and has just become an accepted part of the tour.

The guy's name is Didi Senff, or something similar. I did hear somewhere he was an ex-pro from way back, but I could be wrong. He also builds these weird bikes that you see sometimes in the background.

jhuskey said:

Didi Senff (The Devil) has been at the TDF for years.
Didi is German and is very popular with the peloton : the riders welcome him at most races.
I've got an article on him in CS and he says "I am there to encourage the riders, with the Devils fork ! I don't intimidate the riders, I run beside them and shout encouragement"
"I think all of them are great : OK you do see me beside the headline riders but I stay there all day, encouraging those riders who might be in difficulty.
Some of them even come to me afterward and thank me !".
"I travel to all the grand tours and all the major races - I used to fund all of this travelling myself but recently I got some sponsorship.
I travel to each race in my Volkswagon camper van : it's a great life".

cheapie said:
only someone with their head in their nether regions would make the mistake of not recognizing lance's will to win. the difference between lance and the other greats? discipline. he does whatever it takes to prepare regardless of the cost to body.

nah, more like, he knows exactly what his limits are and does not exceed them.

His training is recoverable, it is likely that he trains exactly within the boundaries that he can recover from, never more.

There is no magic, if he trained "regardless of cost" to his body, he would not be out front because he could not perform at his full potential.

Lonnie Utah said:
Have you guys/girls seen him in the Giro (I think) helmet commercial? That goes alot towards showing how far his celebrity has gone....

EDIT: here's the link....

http://www.giro.com/main.html

EDIT2: This is the best commercial I've seen watching tour. Tell the truth, we've all have moments like that in our minds....

L

This is an excellent commercial. I like the effect of the motorcycle pulling in front of "Michael" and Phil Liggett pipes in with race commentary, very well done.

I have never experienced that effect from my Giro Eclipse, I will have to upgrade to an Atmos.

lwedge said:
This is an excellent commercial. I like the effect of the motorcycle pulling in front of "Michael" and Phil Liggett pipes in with race commentary, very well done.

I have never experienced that effect from my Giro Eclipse, I will have to upgrade to an Atmos.

pardon my ignorance but who is the biker that takes the helmet away from the kid?

cheapie said:
pardon my ignorance but who is the biker that takes the helmet away from the kid?

Good question Cheapie, I haven't a clue . I was hoping Limerickman would bestow that information for us. Lim has good resources, he must work for Interpol.

lwedge said:
Good question Cheapie, I haven't a clue . I was hoping Limerickman would bestow that information for us. Lim has good resources, he must work for Interpol.

Just a library of books and magazines about cycling, I'm afraid.

I haven't seen the advert, so I can't help you with an answer.