Who is riding Bianchis in the TDF

janiejones

Jul 8, 2005
I was wondering - now that Liquigas is riding C'dales, is anyone still on the old celeste?

To the best of my knowledge there are no pro tour teams riding Bianchi this year, and Bianchi is really 'pushing' (at least here in Italy) their professional MTB team sponsorship.

Apparently Cycleurope (http://www.cycleurope.com/), the Swedish holding company that owns Bianchi, is not having the best of years and is restructuring a bit (read, laying off employees in Europe). There is an interview with the manager of Bianchi Italia in Ciclismo magazine this month that states that Bianchi is doing well and will most probably not be affected (apparently this has more to do with a decline in cycleurope sales especially in France) but given the financial situation of the parent company it was better to not sponsor a pro Tour team this year and be 'more cautious' (I am paraphrasing here).

Bianchi will be back.

Cycler6n said:
wow, that stinks, you think Bianchi is done for?
No, I don't. Too valuable and instantly recognisable as a brand name in the cycling world.

And I believe that they are doing quite well here in Italy and also in the US, two of their most important markets.

I suspect they will be sponsoring a pro tour team in the very near future once again.

Powerful Pete said:
No, I don't. Too valuable and instantly recognisable as a brand name in the cycling world.

And I believe that they are doing quite well here in Italy and also in the US, two of their most important markets.

I suspect they will be sponsoring a pro tour team in the very near future once again.
Good, I don't see too many of them, I see a ton of Cervelos though

I have a Bianchi, love it...would like to see pros riding them though.

I remember Ulrich riding them a couple of years back, i think?

But Bianchi's pro quality bikes are kick a**.

I would also like to see Bianchi coming to Pro Tour sooner, but there are several new and aggressive brands coming close...

Irrespective of what Bianchi has at the top of their range, Liquigas hasn't done too badly with their switch to Cannondale so far.

sogood said:
Irrespective of what Bianchi has at the top of their range, Liquigas hasn't done too badly with their switch to Cannondale so far.
Of course not. But then tell me what difference it really makes for a top team which bike they use... LOL.

Cycler6n said:
Good, I don't see too many of them, I see a ton of Cervelos though
LOL, I guess that depends where you live. I have never seen a Cervelo in any of my rides. Seen a heck of a lot more Bianchis around here! :)

Bikelyst said:
I have a Bianchi, love it...would like to see pros riding them though.

I remember Ulrich riding them a couple of years back, i think?

But Bianchi's pro quality bikes are kick a**.
Yes, Bianchi set up a Pro Tour at a moment's notice to allow Ulrich to ride the Tour after the Coast team folded. Sole sponsor.

Powerful Pete said:
Of course not. But then tell me what difference it really makes for a top team which bike they use... LOL.
True. But IIRC of a report on that change over decision, Liquigas made the decision to switch over to Cannondale based on riders' choice. There was something about riders felt Cannondale offered "better" equipments for the sponsorship rather than anything financial. Of course, in retrospect, maybe the sponsorship $$$ was the real issue.

Powerful Pete said:
LOL, I guess that depends where you live. I have never seen a Cervelo in any of my rides. Seen a heck of a lot more Bianchis around here! :)
I live in new york state, there was a time trial somewhere, i wish i knew, so i could have watched, but everywhere you looked there where Cervelos, Cannondales, and some small companie bikes. It was awesome.

I've never seen a Bianchi on my rides but a lot of Cerevelo. They are designed not to far from where I live. I would love to try one out some day just to see what all the fuss is. Only thing is I already own a aluminum, carbon with ultegra and the only cervelo I can afford is the same materials.

Powerful Pete said:

There are a fair number of Cervelos around here, but I gotta say that Cervelos are the must uninspiring bikes to me. To me, they're the new Trek. That's not a statement about their quality or function, but rather a statement about just how boring the designs are to me. Actually, I think the new Trek is more interesting than anything that Cervelo has done lately.

There are only a couple of Bianchis, and I'm not sure if there's even a Bianchi dealer in town.

alienator said:
There are a fair number of Cervelos around here, but I gotta say that Cervelos are the must uninspiring bikes to me. To me, they're the new Trek. That's not a statement about their quality or function, but rather a statement about just how boring the designs are to me. Actually, I think the new Trek is more interesting than anything that Cervelo has done lately.
Have to agree with you. Do not really find the Cervelos very exciting either. IMVHO, a bit ugly, actually (I have never ridden one, so I cannot comment on their frame quality).

Don't think I would buy one.

sogood said:
True. But IIRC of a report on that change over decision, Liquigas made the decision to switch over to Cannondale based on riders' choice. There was something about riders felt Cannondale offered "better" equipments for the sponsorship rather than anything financial. Of course, in retrospect, maybe the sponsorship $$$ was the real issue.
Indeed. I suspect that has more to do with it. In spite of what riders say in interviews at the team presentation (a bit repetitive usually - "...this is by far the most responsive, comfortable frame I have ever ridden...") they will ride whatever the team hands out.

Now the team management may be a bit more interested in working with a manufacturer willing to provide a bit more than bikes...